News Brad Crouch to Saints (STK make offer; Band 3, ADL to match?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without explicitly saying it, it seemed clear from Kelly that if we aren’t getting pick 2 we are prepared to match and either keep him or force a trade. He also said that you don’t just let quality players leave without getting adequate compo.

But but but but....Jay Clark and Kane Cornes said...

Hopefully some certain Vic journos listen to that interview, cleared up a lot of the speculation and basically until the offer is lodged this Friday, nobody knows the exact deal outside of Crouch, the Saints and his manger. It doesn’t sound like the Crows know exactly what the deal is yet either.

I find that hard to believe - that we don’t know - but at least Kelly has a clear planned communication about what is going on

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No to question 1. The feeling I've got is that we won't be matching 5 years by a high $600k region contract. I think the band 1 or match certainty has gone out the window if it's high band 2 by 5 years.
But he said that we would know the offer once we saw the compensation right? Does that fit? What does Band-2 compensation say other than something between "we decided not to give you band-1 even though you ticked all the boxes" AND way-off the mark.

To me that means the compensation will be band-1. It's the only compensation that would make it clear what was offered to Brad.

Unless it's Band-3 :drunk:

This notion of "the Crows are totally in the dark, they don't know what the AFL will do, no one knows, it's so random!" is pretty ridiculous.

The Crows see the contract, and also speak to the AFL. They also know the lay of the land and know % of salaries etc.

The notion that we'll get told exactly is pretty ridiculous. Considering we know that clubs have been peeved recently thinking their compo was going to be higher.

I find that hard to believe - that we don’t know - but at least Kelly has a clear planned communication about what is going on

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think we have an idea, but Gallagher said this morning they’re still going through the finer details with his manager, so understandable that the Crows wouldn’t know the exact deal yet. Also said that because part of the compo adjudication is at the AFL discretion, it is very hard to know exact compo until the deal is lodged.

After 90+ pages of speculation in this thread, it was important that we got this clarity. :thumbsu:

They're all just words at the moment. We'll find out when the AFL provide us with the actual contract that Brad and the Saints have signed and lodged. Once we get the contract, we have a set time to match or not. It's that simple.

If our Club had half a brain, this is what should have been stated very early on. Not to mention, stating that we came last in the competition in 2020 for a reason.

The level of compensation is directly related to which Band, Brouch falls under. The fact that it may be Pick 2, is not the issue.

Exactly - and it’s why our media strategy is a complete joke, and a failure.

Either control the narrative - or be controlled by it.

Why we allow ourselves to constantly be controlled by it, to our detriment, is incomprehensible.

I guess the key point here is the AFL only tells us the compo after the Saints submit their offer, beyond the point they can modify it.

So we will have the choice between match/trade and accepting the compo. But it doesn't sound like it will be possible to then go back and ask the Saints to increase their offer if it wasn't enough for band 1

Jesus, how do we get this far with people not knowing a simple 3 step system. The Saints don't submit an 'offer'. They submit a fully executed contract between themselves and Brad. The AFL check it as they do every contract and then provide it to us. We match or not.

Jesus, how do we get this far with people not knowing a simple 3 step system. The Saints don't submit an 'offer'. They submit a fully executed contract between themselves and Brad. The AFL check it as they do every contract and then provide it to us. We match or not.

Yes I know. So the AFL telling us what the compo will be at that point is useless if our goal was pick 2. It's already decided at this point.

There is seemingly no magic communication between the AFL to clubs on the compo before the Saints final offer/contract is submitted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are all mids taken roughly at the same point in the draft.

Like Ronin, none of them set the house on fire in the underage years. He is a better physical specimen but he clearly struggled to accumulate enough of the ball while playing. It seems unrealistic to expect much of someone taken so late who wasn't first choice midfield rotation for his state junior side.
Harrison Wigg played almost exclusively as a defender/half back at the National Championships, a role that saw him named SA's M.V.P. at the Carnival ultimately named in the back pocket in the 2014 U18 All Australian team ( that's not setting the world on fire?)..it was us that tried to make a silky skilled defender into a midfielder....FAIL.

Riley Knight had an excellent SANFL season for WWT regularly racking up 25 -30 disposals and played almost exclusively at half forward at the National Championships that year.

Myles Poholke played quite a bit as a medium forward due to his excellent overhead marking as well as midfield for both the Stingrays and Vic Country hence he was considered a mid/forward by most.

Ronin O'Connor played plenty of half back as well as midfield also, especially at the Nationals.

I'll be very surprised if he doesn't furnish into a starting midfielder with us with the physical tools he brings to the table.

Last edited:
They'd have to procure another one then, again not our problem. Why should we bend over because the saints don't have currency?
Or of course they could pay him $800k and make all this go away....

don’t worry guys pic 2 happening
rendell on trade talk said we will have pick 2. 800 x 5
he said the top be down 10 to 15 percent too his thinking said certainty

in same show he said our list analysis been let go. Then said got a phone message from Hamish. That he is still with crows. Point being rendell would have best knowledge of brad contract categorically said 800 x 5

he did also say pick 20 and 29 for hately that I did not like

and still raves about newchurch. Can be lazy. Doesn’t tackle enough but he is super special

don’t worry guys pic 2 happening
rendell on trade talk said we will have pick 2. 800 x 5
he said the top be down 10 to 15 percent too his thinking said certainty

in same show he said our list analysis been let go. Then said got a phone message from Hamish. That he is still with crows. Point being rendell would have best knowledge of brad contract categorically said 800 x 5

he did also say pick 20 and 29 for hately that I did not like

and still raves about newchurch. Can be lazy. Doesn’t tackle enough but he is super special
giphy.gif

Harrison Wigg played almost exclusively as a defender/half back at the National Championships, a role that saw him named SA's M.V.P. at the Carnival ultimately named in the back pocket in the 2014 U18 All Australian team ( that's not setting the world on fire?)..it was us that tried to make a silky skilled defender into a midfielder....FAIL.

Riley Knight had an excellent SANFL season for WWT regularly racking up 25 -30 disposals and played almost exclusively at half forward at the National Championships that year.

Myles Poholke played quite a bit as a medium forward due to his excellent overhead marking as well as midfield for both the Stingrays and Vic Country hence he was considered a mid/forward by most.

Ronin O'Connor played plenty of half back as well as midfield also, especially at the Nationals.

I'll be very surprised if he doesn't furnish into a starting midfielder with us with the physical tools he brings to the table.
I hope so.

He's still an inside mid selected in the third round, and it's unrealistic to place too high expectations on anyone selected at that point.

I hope for the best for the lad, but we don't want to pin too many hopes on someone taken that late.

Yes I know. So the AFL telling us what the compo will be at that point is useless if our goal was pick 2. It's already decided at this point.

There is seemingly no magic communication between the AFL to clubs on the compo before the Saints final offer/contract is submitted
You don't think there'll be conversations between Lethlean and his mates at AFL house B4 the Crouch Contract is submitted

It's not only Adelaide that'll be talking to the AFL, but also St Kilda ....they do not want to have to do a trade for Brad ......and Lethlean will have a pretty good idea of the compo anyway, given he used to oversea that process

I hope so.

He's still an inside mid selected in the third round, and it's unrealistic to place too high expectations on anyone selected at that point.

I hope for the best for the lad, but we don't want to pin too many hopes on someone taken that late.
2 inside mids a few of us rated higher than their actual draft number turned out pretty fair James Worpel and Jack Ross, I see no reason why Ronin can't do likewisee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back