Brad Crouch vs Ollie Wines

Remove this Banner Ad

Wines is a fair bit ahead of Crouch atm.
Actually, I am disappointed in Crouch, thought he'd of shown more.

I still think he'll be a player - but I also thought he'd of had more impact by now.

As far as Wines goes, will be interesting to see how much he progresses in the next year.
We've seen Toby Greene stagnate this year - after having a great debut year last year.

Crouch should have this RS nomination in the bag, probably unlucky to miss out round 4, which will give more incentive for him to get this one. Obviously a Wines fan, but look forward to seeing Crouch's career pan out too.

Both are studs and the future of the league's best mid title is up for grabs between Wines/Crouch/O'Meara/Mitchell.

Could potentially be the next Roo/Bucks/Voss/Hird era for mids!
How quickly people have forgotten Vlastuin!

Both are studs and the future of the league's best mid title is up for grabs between Wines/Crouch/O'Meara/Mitchell.

Could potentially be the next Roo/Bucks/Voss/Hird era for mids!
I bet you one, if not two don't kick on like expected. Every year we have the next Roo/Bucks/Voss/Hird and within 3 years 2 or 3 of the same mentioned players are being criticised for not kicking on.

Remember when Scully/Trengove/Martin were being touted as the next Hodge/Ball/Judd?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right now you'd have to say Wines. However, he's more physically developed and has had a better run in terms of injury at this stage. Who will end up the better player, I don't know, but I'm betting both will be amongst the leagues best mids when they're in their prime.

I bet you one, if not two don't kick on like expected. Every year we have the next Roo/Bucks/Voss/Hird and within 3 years 2 or 3 of the same mentioned players are being criticised for not kicking on.

Remember when Scully/Trengove/Martin were being touted as the next Hodge/Ball/Judd?
Yeah I know that... A supporter can only dream. :p

Good to see Crouch finally getting a run, should have been left in the side all year as far as I'm concerned.

Wines is impressing me more and more, he's realised his size advantage and holds onto the ball for a lot longer, navigating the packs with his strength to find the best option rather than the first give. His receiver so often finds themselves in space or in an attacking position due to the set-up Ollie creates- he's not afraid to run with the ball either and he weights his kicks to targets inside 50 beautifully.

Initially I thought his upside might be capped somewhat due to the typical "bigger 18yo body theory" and I always rated Hartlett and Wingard as our "eventual" best players on potential, but I would firmly rate Ollie up there now.

Injury to his hammy prevented him being in the side all year, but now he's better for it.

Not really- he wasn't picked first game, injured his hammy in Rd 4, recovered and then spent 3 weeks lingering in the SANFL before being brought back and then omitted after the Sydney flogging; the 8 matches he has missed this year are hardly solely due to pinging a hamstring.

Either way I believe he was a lock in your midfield from day dot, but for some reason the AFC coaching staff believed otherwise.

Love Wines. Both him and Viney Jr really exhibit the Todd Viney style of footy, you can tell he coached them both in how to attack a footy.

Good to see Crouch finally getting a run, should have been left in the side all year as far as I'm concerned.

Wines is impressing me more and more, he's realised his size advantage and holds onto the ball for a lot longer, navigating the packs with his strength to find the best option rather than the first give. His receiver so often finds themselves in space or in an attacking position due to the set-up Ollie creates- he's not afraid to run with the ball either and he weights his kicks to targets inside 50 beautifully.

Initially I thought his upside might be capped somewhat due to the typical "bigger 18yo body theory" and I always rated Hartlett and Wingard as our "eventual" best players on potential, but I would firmly rate Ollie up there now.
The Crows have been habitual abusers of young talent making them earn the games for far too long with SANFL form when overrated senior members of the team can play poorly for a month or longer before being sent down for 1 game . This bullshit pecking order has hurt them in finding out who is legit and who is another David Mackay or Shaun Mckernan ! Aidan Riley , Crouch and Kerridge should all be getting more games into them as our legit next premiership window opens in 2015 and not before that . As great a servants as they have been Thompson , Rutten , and the vastly overrated Reilly and Vince will not be in our next contending side so we need to plan with cold focus and aggression on who will .

The Crows have been habitual abusers of young talent making them earn the games for far too long with SANFL form when overrated senior members of the team can play poorly for a month or longer before being sent down for 1 game . This bullshit pecking order has hurt them in finding out who is legit and who is another David Mackay or Shaun Mckernan ! Aidan Riley , Crouch and Kerridge should all be getting more games into them as our legit next premiership window opens in 2015 and not before that . As great a servants as they have been Thompson , Rutten , and the vastly overrated Reilly and Vince will not be in our next contending side so we need to plan with cold focus and aggression on who will .

Totally agree with this. I guess there is a perfect balance, somewhere between this approach and Melbourne's "cull all players over 26" method. Collingwood and Geelong seem to have nailed it.

Just be careful you don't do a Melboune.

This was our thinking towards the end of the Daniher era, and why we felt he had too many favourites etc. and we needed to blood the youngsters and so on and so forth until we became Melbourned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back