Traded Ollie Henry - Traded to Geelong as part of a reported 3-way deal (details tbc)

Remove this Banner Ad

You could see how demoralised they were in the second half of the year when everyone knew he was being traded out. Caused us to really underachieve. We should have shat in the flag this year whilst not having inside mids or kpfs.
Just dumb luck I reckon.

The other side of the coin should be landing your way next year.

Maybe just go with who Collingwood's coaches picked in the business end of the season.

One of them is a senior player, the other isn't yet, he's still a fringe player. And it's not just team specific, if Ginni was the one going to Geelong, he'd push Miers out of that premiership team, whereas Ollie will have to bide his team and develop. He will probably end up better if he puts it all together. But currently it's Ginnivan comfortably.
All this is based on this year only.... In the future Henry clearly has the higher ceiling.

Everyone with functioning eyes and a brain could see Hawkins was a better forward prospect than cam Mooney. But that doesn't meant playing cam over tom in the 2007 finals wasn't the best move...

All this is based on this year only.... In the future Henry clearly has the higher ceiling.

Everyone with functioning eyes and a brain could see Hawkins was a better forward prospect than cam Mooney. But that doesn't meant playing cam over tom in the 2007 finals wasn't the best move...

You reckon there's anyone who ranked Ben Ronke over Heeney after his 24 goal seaon.

Geelong should build a replica of the cubby house Ollie has at home.. at the GMHBA.. so he doesn't feel homesick and that I reckon.
It had nothing to do with being homesick. He was always coming back to Geelong regardless of where he was drafted.

Maybe blame your incompetent list manager for letting his ego get in the way at pick 17 in that draft.

It was a poor selection.

It had nothing to do with being homesick. He was always coming back to Geelong regardless of where he was drafted.

Maybe blame your incompetent list manager for letting his ego get in the way at pick 17 in that draft.

It was a poor selection.
Such a typical, silly BF poster who is a hindsight master.

Such a typical, silly BF poster who is a hindsight master.
There's no hindsight about it. Find my post before he was drafted.

Coll have that position covered. Pick 25 could end up anyone one/position. Don't think Henry leaving will hurt you guys
It won't matter if Johnson and Kreuger kick on. But we did get screwed in the Ollie trade.

Ollie is a shoe in to develop into a senior player, with the potential to become much more. You're not getting that surety and potential with pick 25

We were always getting Mitchell on the cheap.

If you split the trade up, for Ollie, we essentially got pick 25 and a third round pick that we won't use and will find difficult to trade. So in the end, Wright did just take pick 25. The only way we might have done better is if Stephens meant that Hawthorn paid more of Mitchell's salary, but we'll never know that.

It was a poor selection.
I have a sneaking suspicion that Ollie wasn't that happy with Collingwood by the second half of the season. He was out of the side, his camp weren't happy with the contract offer, and with two new forward-line players coming to the club (Hill and McStay), it's going to be even harder for him to get in the 22 next year.

Bear in mind that nobody on either side has actually said the word "homesick" AFAIK.

It's probably a good trade all round. All three clubs get something in return from assets that they weren't going to keep in the longer term; Henry wasn't going to re-sign with Collingwood, Stephens wasn't going to get a crack in the Geelong midfield with the arrival of Bruhn and Bowes, and Mitchell seems to want out of Hawthorn.

Um. You do realise you've just agreed with what I said. Ginni is currently better, but Ollie is more likely to fulfill hid potential. The first half is indesputible. The second half probably depends on what roles they can transition into.

They're similar in that they are forwards who currently play roles where they have a physical deficiency. Ollie is a lot smaller than you want a marking target to be, whereas Ginni is slower than you want a small forward to be. Ginnivan is the one who is currently good enough to compensate for the limitations and is a solid senior player.

You can confidently bet on Ollie developing the endurance and game to play higher up the ground and be pretty ideal for that role, or become a quality intercepting defender. Whereas Ginnivan needs to develop into a mid for his pace to become not an issue. I wouldn't bet against him becoming a quality mid, but I'm less confident about that than I am about Ollie finding a role where he's extremely suited.

It won't matter if Johnson and Kreuger kick on. But we did get screwed in the Ollie trade.
Mitchell won a B+F with 25 Brownlow votes last year. p25 is probably a 2-in-5 chance to land a 200-game player.

It's not a bad return for an out-of-contract, out-of-best-22 player who wants to leave. Certainly, we got less than that for Jordan Clark, though Jordan plays in a less-valuable area of the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a sneaking suspicion that Ollie wasn't that happy with Collingwood by the second half of the season. He was out of the side, his camp weren't happy with the contract offer, and with two new forward-line players coming to the club (Hill and McStay), it's going to be even harder for him to get in the 22 next year.

Bear in mind that nobody on either side has actually said the word "homesick" AFAIK.
Yeah I think it was ultimately selection and him not liking that he didn't get a game. Probably would have moved later, but you never really know, as things can change regarding where young men want to live.

Mitchell won a B+F with 25 Brownlow votes last year. p25 is probably a 2-in-5 chance to land a 200-game player.

It's not a bad return for an out-of-contract, out-of-best-22 player who wants to leave. Certainly, we got less than that for Jordan Clark, though Jordan plays in a less-valuable area of the ground.
We were getting Mitchell on the cheap, with or without the Ollie part of the trade. Unless there is a component of Hawthorn paying more of Mitchell's salary, combining the deals was so that Wright didn't appear to back down.

It was really three trades:
Mitchell for 3 third rounders
Stephens for 1 third rounder
Ollie for 25 and a third we won't use.

Overall I think we did really well in the trades, as I think Mitchell will be excellent for us, but that was a case of Hawthorn selling him cheap.

Yeah I think it was ultimately selection and him not liking that he didn't get a game. Probably would have moved later, but you never really know, as things can change regarding where young men want to live.
he was probably going to sign another short term contract when the hopper deal fell through. Then he figured he had an opportunity to make it over here early.

We were getting Mitchell on the cheap, with or without the Ollie part of the trade. Unless there is a component of Hawthorn paying more of his salary, combining the deals was so that Wright didn't appear to back down.
hawthorn wanted a pick around the 25 range. So by combining the deals you've negotiated up from 25 to 25+25 which is decent enough. But not the first rounder or bust that Collingwood fans were adamant on. :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Especially after being quite prolific earlier in the year - and having other players coming into the club in roughly your position is a bit of a vote of no-confidence, too. The same goes for Stephens for us - deserves a crack, but the acquisition of Bruhn and Bowes is an indicator of a lack of trust.

It was a poor selection.

So say Ollie is ranked like 17th in the draft or whatever right.. Geelong's first pick is like 69 or something like that right.. does every list manager have to drive the porcelain bus.. lung bust the Winnies and that prior to drafting him.. cause he was always going to go back to Geelong?

So say Ollie is ranked like 17th in the draft or whatever right.. Geelong's first pick is like 69 or something like that right.. does every list manager have to drive the porcelain bus.. lung bust the Winnies and that prior to drafting him.. cause he was always going to go back to Geelong?
Look I agree the system needs tweaking. But what do you do? Make all first round picks a minimum 3 years? Then we have a situation where if ones a bust your stick with a contract.

This is only going to get worse imo.

I thought I'd also read on here from a Cats supporter that he had a blue with another Collingwood player, and if that player re-signed, he'd leave.

It was a poor selection.

So are you saying only GFC should be allowed to draft any kids from Geelong Falcons?

I thought I'd also read on here from a Cats supporter that he had a blue with another Collingwood player, and if that player re-signed, he'd leave.
I suspect that if that was the case, then we'd probably have heard a bit more about it tbh. I'm not saying it's definitely wrong, but I'd be suspicious.

Look I agree the system needs tweaking. But what do you do? Make all first round picks a minimum 3 years? Then we have a situation where if ones a bust your stick with a contract.

This is only going to get worse imo.
Could we adapt something similar to the NBA where their rookie contracts have options at the end of the initial period to add another 2 years? Not necessarily the same, but say we leave the initial contract at 2 years, with a 1 year team option at the end which they can just pick up, no fuss?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back