Free Agency Brandon Ellis [Signs for Gold Coast, Richmond receive #39 compensation]

Remove this Banner Ad

@[B]brendongale25[/B]
FollowFollow @brendongale25
More
We were very dissapointed with the offer of a 2nd Rd pick for Brandon Ellis and asked the @AFL to review it. @AFL has since explained that the points allocated (based on age & average $$$), fell just short of the points required for the awarding of a 1st Rd pick in 2019.

WTF ??? Based on age & average $$$ fell short ? Its more than Lycett & Motlop
Maybe the AFL should openly explain the differences between the 3 deals

Every club who takes a player through fa gets them for free, why should we be treated any differently?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
But not every club get to play more home game like Richmond.

The AFL did supposedly adjust their compensation formula after the Frawley fiasco to make it harder for a player to earn a band 1 compensation pick. There is the chance that they've changed it again.

I think the compensation system has always been more about equalisation than it has been about fairly compensating clubs for their players. From this standpoint it makes sense that if Ellis was playing for Gold Coast, they would've received ~pick 20 for him, yet Richmond receive pick 39.

We're always going to have these issues with discrepancies in compensation when the figures we base our opinions on are the ones reported in the media. The media probably gets given their information from player agents who are always going to maximise the amount the player has gotten because it reflects better on them. This will include convenient wording of salary, giving the salary of the first year if it's a front ended contract, or including all incentives in the figure regardless of how realistic they are.

Also according to this article from The Age, years of a contract only acts as a tiebreaker and has significantly less impact than the per year base salary.

As Peter Ryan in the age writes; the AFL decided to hand the reigning premiers second round compensation, a decision which seemed at odds with the end of first round compensation given to West Coast for losing Scott Lycett to Port Adelaide and Geelong for losing Steve Motlop to Port Adelaide as free agents.

Lycett on a similar deal was first round after wce won the flag. seems pretty anti richmond?

But not every club get to play more home game like Richmond.

Richmond should be penalized in free agency, because other teams play at the MCG?

Again seems a pretty amateur set up the league

What?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
The home and away game system is flaw, so why you expect the compensation system is not flaw or any different . Any system created will not be fair so stop complaining.

Well you got Tom Lynch for free last year, maybe the AFL decided this was a square up or something ??
That shouldn’t come into it because we had cap space to bring him in we’re punished the next season when we get the same offer an eagles player got after a premiership it’s an utter joke

As Peter Ryan in the age writes; the AFL decided to hand the reigning premiers second round compensation, a decision which seemed at odds with the end of first round compensation given to West Coast for losing Scott Lycett to Port Adelaide and Geelong for losing Steve Motlop to Port Adelaide as free agents.

Lycett on a similar deal was first round after wce won the flag. seems pretty anti richmond?

Sure, but if you read my post, I also suggest that we don't necessarily know it was a similar deal. Lycett could've had guaranteed money that was just in the band 2 threshold, and Ellis might've been just short. We're basing this on what the media reports, which most of us are pretty skeptical about at the best of times. The same journalists reporting these salaries are the ones that will report Coniglio being off to Hawthorn.

I’m actually genuinely surprised a whole bunch of posters simply don’t get it.

I’m not a Tigers fan bit it’s wrong.

The AFL did as it pleases to suit their narrative. It’s blatant cheating. It’s moving the goalposts to their liking. The reason it irks me is me and the lads were having a discussion about compo and that clown arse Barret banged on about it. You just KNEW then and there the AFL would adjust. Just like we all knew the AFL would get adequate compo for Ablett.

Personally? Stuff the compo off. Give teams a start of 3rd round selection. Base it on where they finish. So Tigers... you won the flag. You get your compo after all the other compo. Gold Coast you finished last so you’ll get first selection start of 3rd round for any knob you lose.

This takes all ‘manipulation’ out of it. You get sweet fa really.

The whole system is a pisstake.

Lol can’t believe Richmond are complaining about this. Lucky to get a pick inside the top 50 for that spud.

The FA system is screwed, everyone knows that. GC are desperate

Best team in the Comp gets one of the best forwards in the comp for free, loses a player lucky to be best 22 and they cry foul. F****** spare me.

I’m actually genuinely surprised a whole bunch of posters simply don’t get it.

I’m not a Tigers fan bit it’s wrong.

The AFL did as it pleases to suit their narrative. It’s blatant cheating. It’s moving the goalposts to their liking. The reason it irks me is me and the lads were having a discussion about compo and that clown arse Barret banged on about it. You just KNEW then and there the AFL would adjust. Just like we all knew the AFL would get adequate compo for Ablett.

Personally? Stuff the compo off. Give teams a start of 3rd round selection. Base it on where they finish. So Tigers... you won the flag. You get your compo after all the other compo. Gold Coast you finished last so you’ll get first selection start of 3rd round for any knob you lose.

This takes all ‘manipulation’ out of it. You get sweet fa really.

The whole system is a pisstake.

Many richmond and other fans do get it.

Just highlighting its an aussie benny hill show

Sure, but if you read my post, I also suggest that we don't necessarily know it was a similar deal. Lycett could've had guaranteed money that was just in the band 2 threshold, and Ellis might've been just short. We're basing this on what the media reports, which most of us are pretty skeptical about at the best of times. The same journalists reporting these salaries are the ones that will report Coniglio being off to Hawthorn.
I highly doubt that !

Brendon Gale would know exactly what the deal that Gold Coast is giving Ellis and thats why he has asked them to review it as like us it doesnt add upto him or peggy who is a high priced lawyer.

It is exactly how its being reported but the AFL is implementing an equalisation system in this , Looks like Richmond has broken free agency now
ohh well if i was Richmond i would flat out say thank you but no thank you we dont need the compo pick shove it

Lol can’t believe Richmond are complaining about this. Lucky to get a pick inside the top 50 for that spud.

Best team in the Comp gets one of the best forwards in the comp for free, loses a player lucky to be best 22 and they cry foul. F****** spare me.

They lost Conca too... just saying... but as you were...

Cant believe a St Kilda supporter saying something is screwed and gold coast are desperate .................. GOLD !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was, but only hawthorn fans were up in arms, so every other club who'd been headf#+*$ed by hawthorn said it was us whinging and to suck it up
That's not really true, everyone could see that wasn't right, I've seen it called out countless times when FA compo has been discussed.

Anyway it was a big enough example to show how it's way too flawed to function.

Players ability doesn’t come into it it’s purely on age and money the afl have basically given out first round picks or end of first round picks for every player who has gotten a similar contract to Ellis and even others that are paid less

Yet because Richmond have won the flag or got lynch the year before they have made up a bs rule and dropped compo a whole band

The reason they did it is because first round compo or end of first round would be the same pick for Richmond because we won the flag

12 months earlier Lycett the same contract and same years gets a first round pick after a premiership

Richmond win premiership Ellis gets the same deal somehow the compo is two bands lower seems legit

It’s absolute bullshit and punishing a club for being successful

I highly doubt that !

Brendon Gale would know exactly what the deal that Gold Coast is giving Ellis and thats why he has asked them to review it as like us it doesnt add upto him or peggy who is a high priced lawyer.

It is exactly how its being reported but the AFL is implementing an equalisation system in this , Looks like Richmond has broken free agency now
ohh well if i was Richmond i would flat out say thank you but no thank you we dont need the compo pick shove it

No I get it, I felt aggrieved at the time regarding the Rockliff compensation. Brisbane and Geelong got the same compensation despite Rockliff being paid 100,000 more per year, yet was only one year older. Brisbane were told Rockliff just missed out on band 1, and Motlop just got into band 2.

In hindsight we were better off losing him, but still, felt a bit dodgy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back