Opinion Brian Cook - Carlton's rebuild still has a fair way to go

Which club is more likely to win another flag first?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread is meant to be about the chances of a team breaking out in 2022.

The last few years are very relevant to 2022 predictions as list and trade decisions are still having an impact.

Carlton's last few years havent really shown much improvement on 10 years ago. It is more of the same - poor recruiting, botched first round draft picks, inadequate development, injury prone stars, off-field dysfunction, and coaching churn.

Because of that, it ain't unreasonable to have an opinion that will see more of the same from the bluebaggers in 2022.

But for some reason you think you need to puff your chest out and go at the poster. The standard reply from you is first to..."check team supported" then some inane reference about that club.

And hence clog up the thread with posts just attacking posters, instead of talking about why or why not a team may not break out in 2022.

View attachment 1299393

So the past for the Demons, GWS, Swans, Bombers was relevant, that the were never making finals this year after finishing outside the 8 last year?

This is the level of analysis you want people to embrace?

You have made your prediction of how many games you think we will win, 7-8, when challenged you feigned anger at being challenged.

So, let's see how that plays out come end of next year

Again with going back to the past.

Recent history would suggest you have a group of racists running your football club.

Silly logic.

How else is a person reasonably supposed to answer the topic of ‘will Carlton break out in 2022’ without looking at the teams recent history? What other possible basis is their to look at for a logical conclusion?

Sure, it might turn out that Carlton do have a really good year, Voss turns out to be a much better coach the second time round, the game plan completely clicks in his first season at the club, and previous underwhelming draft picks and well paid recruits from other clubs all have career best years enabling Carlton to be a very good team this year and make everyone who used such reasoning in this topic look like an idiot. However given that there’s been no games or any real evidence to base such an opinion on it seems perfectly reasonable to see how Carlton’s list has performed in the last few years as a basis for how they might perform in the upcoming season. Attempts from Carlton supporters to go ‘yeah but your team has been bad too!’ as if that suddenly renders a persons opinion irrelevant have all just reeked of weak attempts at deflection.

I eagerly look forward to someone responding to this post with how bad Essendon have been the last few years, as if the past 21 years of disappointment have just totally passed me by without noticing.

Last edited:
Yes. Carlton supporters are generally bullish about their team's prospects for next season and beyond, as indicated by the response to other posters who do not share the same optimism. For example 'Opposition supporters are just biased against Carlton'.

Backtracked by refusing to bet against a random person on an internet forum?
Most Blues fans think/hope that we might just scrape into the 8. Not sure I'd refer to that as bullish. There aren't too many that are expecting more and not too many expecting less.
I can understand how types like yourself might see it differently, especially when simple comments like the return of Charlie being a positive thing that should stretch defenses and help kick a winning score gets turned into 'Curnow the saviour who hasn't played for 2 years'.
It's not the unshared optimism that Blues supporters have a problem with. There's plenty of examples of reasonable posts, that are less than optimistic, that have been responded to and debated in a healthy way, because their opinions are presented in a less abrasive manner.

Carlton threads on the main board always turn to s**t because the same half a dozen or so opposition posters see the name Carlton and think they're in Bay 13 and get a hard on. We're like a little (navy) blue pill to you. There's literally no reason why you would be spending 90% of your time in Carlton threads, except that you enjoy a good troll. You might as well own it. Everyone knows.

Again with going back to the past.

Recent history would suggest you have a group of racists running your football club.

Silly logic.
Not sure what Collingwood have to do with a thread about Carlton, but maybe you are just trolling for an argument.

Anyway, Collingwood addressed it, and McGuire is gone, now we wait and see how it pans out.

Carlton have stated they expect to make finals, wasn't that even before Voss set foot in the club? so to me it looks like it's same old same old.

Now we have to wait and see.

Voss might even get Carlton contending and we will never find out, but the coach they just sacked had a better winning record, so I just don't see it.

Most Blues fans think/hope that we might just scrape into the 8. Not sure I'd refer to that as bullish. There aren't too many that are expecting more and not too many expecting less.
'Scraping into the top 8' IS bullish when you haven't finished any higher than 11th in your past 8 seasons, and you regressed to 13th last year.

Not sure what Collingwood have to do with a thread about Carlton, but maybe you are just trolling for an argument.

Anyway, Collingwood addressed it, and McGuire is gone, now we wait and see how it pans out.

Carlton have stated they expect to make finals, wasn't that even before Voss set foot in the club? so to me it looks like it's same old same old.

Now we have to wait and see.

Voss might even get Carlton contending and we will never find out, but the coach they just sacked had a better winning record, so I just don't see it.

Carlton has also changed a massive chunk of its board and football department. Cook is one of the best in the business.

Perhaps give them more than a few months in the office before running with “same old same old”. It’s boring.

How else is a person reasonably supposed to answer the topic of ‘will Carlton break out in 2022’ without looking at the teams recent history? What other possible basis is their to look at for a logical conclusion?

Sure, it might turn out that Carlton do have a really good year, Voss turns out to be a much better coach the second time round, the game plan completely clicks in his first season at the club, and previous underwhelming draft picks and well paid recruits from other clubs all have career best years enabling Carlton to be a very good team this year and make everyone who used such reasoning in this topic look like an idiot. However given that there’s been no games or any real evidence to base such an opinion on it seems perfectly reasonable to see how Carlton’s list has performed in the last few years as a basis for how they might perform in the upcoming season. Attempts from Carlton supporters to go ‘yeah but your team has been bad too!’ as if that suddenly renders a persons opinion irrelevant have all just reeked of weak attempts at deflection.

I eagerly look forward to someone responding to this post with how bad Essendon have been the last few years, as if the past 21 years of disappointment have just totally passed me by without noticing.

I have concerns on the list. Still lacks any real depth and very shallow on talls, also plenty of injury prone players with question marks. All reasonable points.

“Hur Hur Carlton will sack Voss bcuz Ratten history” is not reasonable. It’s boring. There are some decent oppo posters who don’t cop trolling back. You seem like one.

FWIW I think we finish anywhere from 6-12. I don’t think that’s too far fetched. Misconstrue that as me saying Carlton will be flag contenders next season if you please. It’s already been done to other Carlton posters with similar opinions in this thread.

Carlton has also changed a massive chunk of its board and football department. Cook is one of the best in the business.

Perhaps give them more than a few months in the office before running with “same old same old”. It’s boring.
You don't seem to get the point.

The point is, Carlton have a habit of putting pressure on their coaches, hence the statement about expecting to make the 8.
That's putting pressure on a coach before he even starts.

I'm so sorry if you think this is unreasonable, but this is a thread about Carlton and will they break out, but so far I have seen nothing that changes my mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't seem to get the point.

The point is, Carlton have a habit of putting pressure on their coaches, hence the statement about expecting to make the 8.
That's putting pressure on a coach before he even starts.

I'm so sorry if you think this is unreasonable, but this is a thread about Carlton and will they break out, but so far I have seen nothing that changes my mind.
You don't think the president and the coach would have set a goal in private?

Did I hit a nerve mate, enough to make you post about the team I support, trying to troll for an argument?

The topic is Carlton, my point is Carlton has put pressure on Voss before he even starts, the last time he coached he had a worse record than the coach they just sacked.

If that gets you excited for next year, great, not me.
I think you can put the Brisbane days to rest mate, he's been at Port for a fair while.

You don't think the president and the coach would have set a goal in private?
We don't know do we?

If you want to speculate on what happened, go for it.

Let's speculate some more then.

Voss' coaching so far has not been what you would call a success, so now he gets a second chance, I would speculate, even he has some doubts, he doesn't need more pressure.

We don't know do we?

If you want to speculate on what happened, go for it.

Let's speculate some more then.

Voss' coaching so far has not been what you would call a success, so now he gets a second chance, I would speculate, even he has some doubts, he doesn't need more pressure.
You're just speculating yourself here, Voss should know where he stands and if he fails it will be either he's not good enough or the team isn't good enough, won't be what the president said.

Did I hit a nerve mate, enough to make you post about the team I support, trying to troll for an argument?

The topic is Carlton, my point is Carlton has put pressure on Voss before he even starts, the last time he coached he had a worse record than the coach they just sacked.

If that gets you excited for next year, great, not me.

Voss might not be the guy. No one knows yet. I‘d be surprised if he hadn’t improved as a coach since his Brisbane days.

Atleast you’re getting a bit closer to the thread topic.

You're just speculating yourself here, Voss should know where he stands and if he fails it will be either he's not good enough or the team isn't good enough, won't be what the president said.
I said I was speculating.

All we have is what has happened to date, you can speculate, I can speculate.

Voss has not shown to date he is a good coach, in fact the record is worse than the coach you just sacked, so forgive me if I am not as excited as you.

Voss might not be the guy. No one knows yet. I‘d be surprised if he hadn’t improved as a coach since his Brisbane days.

Atleast you’re getting a bit closer to the thread topic.
This is the interesting part. AFL hasn’t a history of giving failed coaches a second chance at the senior role. I’ve always thought that might be a mistake, especially if the failure comes when the coach is young. I’m curious to see how it goes

I said I was speculating.

All we have is what has happened to date, you can speculate, I can speculate.

Voss has not shown to date he is a good coach, in fact the record is worse than the coach you just sacked, so forgive me if I am not as excited as you.
We'll have to wait and see mate, one of us will be crowin next season.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Weren't they telling us to smell what's cooking like 10 years ago?? The list just isn't good enough. They do have the softest draw out of any side next season. If they can't crack the 8 then I'd seriously consider blowing up the joint and rebuilding for the upteenth time. Far too much $$ spent on Martin, McGovern, Williams, Saad, Cerra and a crippled Cripps, all who are either looking done as players or just are nowhere near what their $$ value is demanding. Handy full forward and half back, and a star in Walsh, outside of that I couldn't think of one player I'd consider taking onto the Dees list.

Back