Brian Lake thinks that Cyril is cream on the cake player, not the cake?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cyril averages the same amount of goals as Motlop and Motlop plays through the midfield a lot more.
Actually Cyril averages more goals, Motlop does averages 3 more touches but he's far less damaging than Cyril with ball in hand not only that Cyril doubles Motlops tackle numbers. Since Motlop is only 1 year younger I'm not sure what point youre trying to make?

Actually Cyril averages more goals, Motlop does averages 3 more touches but he's far less damaging than Cyril with ball in hand not only that Cyril doubles Motlops tackle numbers. Since Motlop is only 1 year younger I'm not sure what point youre trying to make?
Motlop's the better player. .1 difference is hardly telling for somebody who plays predominantly forward like Cyril.

Motlop's the better player. .1 difference is hardly telling for somebody who plays predominantly forward like Cyril.
You should get into stand up comedy.

Cyril averages twice the number of clearances and tackles, triple the amount of 1%, 1/3 more goal assists, more contested possessions, more marks(4 times the contested marks) and better kicking efficiency.

Last edited:
This is a guy that played in 3 premierships with Cyril and knows him intimately.

He has questioned whether Cyril can be a successful player when the team is not doing well.

He needs everything else in the team do be going well, for him to be playing well.

In light of this, has Cyrils legacy now taken a dent?

Is he just a flat track bully?

Not a flat track bully, more a downhill skier is Lakeys suggestion.

Its pretty hard to be influential on the scoreboard when your team is not winning.

You should get into stand up comedy.

Cyril averages twice the number of clearances and tackles, triple the amount of 1%, 1/3 more goal assists, more contested possessions, more marks(4 times the contested marks) and better kicking efficiency.
So we've established Cyril Is better at guarding space and Motlop is better at finding the ball and being a weapon on the output side of things.

Depends what you consider as being more important but I know who'd I'd rather.

A small forward who can tackle or a midfielder who gets more of the ball and kicks just as many goals.

Mots needs to get a lot better at running both ways, and have more impact in big games, before I'd say he was better than Rioli - and I'm a Geelong fan...
We're all entitled to our opinions.

Mine is that Rioli is now the most overrated player in my time watching football, surpassing Swan ... his Norm Smith medal is testament to that as is his multiple AA's.

Only a Geelong supporter could turn this thread into being about their players.
Back on the topic at hand ... Lake is right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a small forward, bloody hard to play that position when your team is getting absolutely flogged week in week out.

He won them several games last year off his own boot, he is a star and the best in his position outside Betts.
Last year was his best year and we were already s**t last year. He and Puopolo had outstanding years where we were not winning the footy enough and had f all talls. Our smalls did crazy heavy lifting and somehow got us into the top 4.

Anyone who watched Cyril last year and thinks he's a flat track bully is a dumbo (sorry Lakey - love you - but you are indisputedly a dumbo)

Last year was his best year and we were already s**t last year. He and Puopolo had outstanding years where we were not winning the footy enough and had f all talls. Our smalls did crazy heavy lifting and somehow got us into the top 4.

Anyone who watched Cyril last year and thinks he's a flat track bully is a dumbo (sorry Lakey - love you - but you are indisputedly a dumbo)

I don't think hawthorn was crap last year

1 kick outside of a preliminary final is not crap .

No need to re invent history to suit your argument.

And Brian Lake is spot on for once.

Someone needed to say it. It was funny seeing Robbo's shock at the comment. I wish Derm was there.

Cyril's a great player, but he is not the demigod the AFL media want us to believe.

Yeah he's just a 4x premiership player and norm smith medallist... Pretty mediocre if you ask me!

He is a small forward, bloody hard to play that position when your team is getting absolutely flogged week in week out.

He won them several games last year off his own boot, he is a star and the best in his position outside Betts.
He does spend time in the midfield as well, in a side struggling to deliver the ball forward that might increase?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back