Prediction Brisbane....they are a genuine chance of winning the flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Most impressive thing about this is they have built this success from older players, mostly recruited cheaply from other teams.

Best players today by AFL ranking points were Lyons (got for a chip packet), Neale (trade), Zorko (GC zone selection they traded to get), Robinson (DFA), McCarthy (cheap trade), Cameron (trade), Martin (trade) and Rich (veteran of their own).

Of the young stars, only Witherden was in the best 10, and that’s a good thing - that’s how you build a dynasty. This team still has stacks of improvement as McLuggage and Hipwood (missing today), Rayner, Berry, McInerney, Andrews, etc all come into their primes.

Those young guys are getting the best of both worlds right now - blooded in finals footy, but with a strong veteran group to learn from.

Having a very impressive season so far. No way their blessed injury run continues in the future, but it won’t need to as they get better and better

They have no chance whatsoever of winning the flag but they may just pinch a final.
Their key forwards are too inconsistent and you simply can't win finals with small zippy forwards.
Game will slow right down and that's when you need the big boys to pluck crucial marks.

Next year, the likes of Hipwood and McStay should be ready to take the next step and help them secure a home final.
Are you a tool? Tigers won a granny based around small forwards. Bulldogs had one brute forward/ruck. Not saying we are shoe ins but i think will we do more then 'pinch' a final.

Are you a tool? Tigers won a granny based around small forwards. Bulldogs had one brute forward/ruck. Not saying we are shoe ins but i think will we do more then 'pinch' a final.

Sorry mate but Richmond's defense was actually the key to their success and Brisbane just don't have the likes of Rance or Grimes to fall back on when it's close.

I also don't see a Jack Riewoldt in the key post position. I see Hipwood showing immense talent but Jack was a proven champion heading into the 2017 grand final.

No need to get personal about it, it's just an opinion and I see Brisbane struggling to even win a final as it stands right now.
I like Cameron, McCarthy and your other smalls though. Not a fan Of Martin. Brisbane would want to hope they meet Geelong or Richmond in a final where Stanley and Nankervis are mores suited to his style of game.

Sorry mate but Richmond's defense was actually the key to their success and Brisbane just don't have the likes of Rance or Grimes to fall back on when it's close.

I also don't see a Jack Riewoldt in the key post position. I see Hipwood showing immense talent but Jack was a proven champion heading into the 2017 grand final

No need to get personal about it, it's just an opinion and I see Brisbane struggling to even win a final as it stands right now.
Yeh to be honest my apologies for the sledge. 100% out of line.

However our backline over the past 6-8 weeks has been outstanding.

Harris Andrews will be AA fullback this year. Darcy Gardiner is a very underrated second tall defender entering his prime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possible but a lot hinges on their last two games which are Richmond at the G and I think Cats at the Gabba. Could have the bubble burst early but them again if they can compete on equal terms in those last two games perhaps no fear heading into finals.

Wildcard is that they have already exceeded expectations this year and if any of that filters into the playing group.

Personally in finals more experienced finals sides will have them covered is my tip. Not this year, but not far away after some finals experience.

Be very surprised if they were able to knock off Eagles, Collingwood, Geelong or Richmond in a final, especially an away final.

To win the flag they probably have to beat 2-3 of them.

I doubt it but only because they have no real finals experience and I think the occasion might be a bit overwhelming for them. Talent wise, I think it is possible.
Hodge, Cameron, Neale, Rich, McCarthy, Lyons, Robinson, Christensen and Walker all have finals experience.

Hodge, Cameron, Neale, Rich, McCarthy, Lyons, Robinson, Christensen and Walker all do.
Finals experience together as a team, that's more valuable. Just not ready this year to beat the all the seasoned finals sides imo. That's what they'd have to do to win the flag.

I've been slow to get on the Brisbane bandwagon this year and even accept that they will be playing finals this year. I just thought it was a year too soon for them.

That said all year long they have been banking those wins and they now look like a chance to finish top 4 with a healthy injury list. Who knows what they could do. I don't expect them to win a flag but I won't say its impossible either. If they finish top 4 in H&A I reckon they'll make a prelim.

"Not saying we're shoe-ins, but if you don't think we're shoe-ins then you're a tool"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back