Bruce Lehrmann revealed as man charged with two counts of rape in Toowoomba

Remove this Banner Ad

Quality response. But to indulge you, I'm someone who posts on bigfooty from time to time. Not obsessive like some who seem to spend hours and hours preparing posts to try to convince others that the narrative they are running is right and righteous. That's who I am.
Fair enough augie. Apologies for my earlier snipe.

Having watched most of yesterday's costs hearing, it was a mostly dry affair with the thrust and parry of cost claims and various counter claims.

The key takeaway is that Lee said: "I've made findings about the conduct of the applicant and the conduct litigation being disgraceful, that's a given!", so Bruce or his backers (if any) will be copping a major whack.

Lee also quickly found an in, in which to criticise Quill, Wilkinson and Network 10 over the "vindication" claims. He was stunned that people were mouthing off about vindication and even the perpetuation of the cover-up myth from Wilkinson, when they hadn't even read the verdict.

"I made it perfectly plain that what occurred in this case was that the respondents fell well short of a standard of reasonableness in the credulous way they went about reporting these allegations," Lee said.

Among the issues Lee raised were repeated assertions Brittany Higgins had been left to cope without support by her
former boss Linda Reynolds and chief-of-staff Fiona Brown and equating their termination of Lehrmann's job with "protecting a paedophile". :oops:

"Ms Wilkinson in some respects went even further repeating an allegation that Ms Brown and Senator Reynolds were active participants in a systemic cover-up of alleged criminal conduct," Lee said.

Network 10 and Wilkinson's crew seemingly had an agreement that made a settlement not possible, or that it would not be made in good faith, which is against legal standards. Higgins was supposedly the driver about Bruce not getting money (understandable), but it puts Network 10's supposedly genuine offer of settlement in the shade and I think Lee will put weight on this.

Chrysanthou tried to argue that the cover-up angle had nothing to do with her client's case, meaning that the time put into at least that should be fully paid, which was quickly shut down by Lee as actually being an integral part of the trial. I think he said "So what?" to her about 5 times in a row when she was arguing against the cover-up angle's relevance.

Following the stern dressing down by Justice Lee about 10’s reaction to the verdict as a positive one, when they should be taking it seriously as a negative one, after a break and after consultation with his clients, Dr Collins came back and said that he will personally be taking a Q&A with Network 10 on what they did wrong and how to improve. A scrambling late contrition.

Sharaz could be bankrupt if he loses: Reynolds’ lawyer

Brittany Higgins’ fiance could ‘go bankrupt’ if he loses the defamation claim lodged against him by former Liberal Minister Linda Reynolds, after abandoning his defence of the case

The slimy Sharaz about to pay the penalty for doing the ALP's dirty work?

Love it!!
That is some parallel universe you are living in where holding a Liberal rapist to account is doing "the ALP's dirty work".

That is some parallel universe you are living in where holding a Liberal rapist to account is doing "the ALP's dirty work".
Part of the problem with this whole case has been those who've treated Higgin's rape like some anti Liberal plot designed to smear them.

Part of the problem with this whole case has been those who've treated Higgin's rape like some anti Liberal plot designed to smear them.
It is also an unspoken topic in the current domestic violence discussions. No one has mentioned how the Liberal Party and mainstream media supported Lehrmann unconditionally throughout the saga.

Or how the same institutions protected Pell, Porter, Tudge, Jones and many others unconditionally.

Or how the Liberal Party shut down the family court to get Hansen's (ex Liberal) vote on some bill and how Hansen still to this day bleats endless crap in parliament about the victimisation of men because women abuse the system.

Or how it is perfectly acceptable for Alex Antic (Liberal) to get up in parliament and sermonise about the victimisation of men and how he should be perfectly free to wolf whistle at his pleasure from the security of his safe space in a barber shop.

Everyone is completely losing their minds - completely correctly - over violence against women and completely ignoring that the biggest political party in the country and the majority of the mainstream media run a protection racket for this exact behaviour.

We are miles off, but I guess it is all just the "ALP's dirty work".

It is also an unspoken topic in the current domestic violence discussions. No one has mentioned how the Liberal Party and mainstream media supported Lehrmann unconditionally throughout the saga.

Or how the same institutions protected Pell, Porter, Tudge, Jones and many others unconditionally.

Or how the Liberal Party shut down the family court to get Hansen's (ex Liberal) vote on some bill and how Hansen still to this day bleats endless crap in parliament about the victimisation of men because women abuse the system.

Or how it is perfectly acceptable for Alex Antic (Liberal) to get up in parliament and sermonise about the victimisation of men and how he should be perfectly free to wolf whistle at his pleasure from the security of his safe space in a barber shop.

Everyone is completely losing their minds - completely correctly - over violence against women and completely ignoring that the biggest political party in the country and the majority of the mainstream media run a protection racket for this exact behaviour.

We are miles off, but I guess it is all just the "ALP's dirty work".

Or how the mainstream media after getting their alp darlings elected seemed to not put these allegations to the test at all

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You may be right about some conservatives and the conservative media who believe that anything anti-Liberal is something that should be blindly defended. There would be extremists to this effect in every organisation and nook and cranny of the world.

But would you concede that any perception of there being an "anti-Liberal plot" isn't helped by the fact that Higgins and Sharaz concocted a story that they could politically weaponise?

Some examples from Justice Lee's would be:

1714609633392.png

1714609728290.png

1714609923429.png

You may be right about some conservatives and the conservative media who believe that anything anti-Liberal is something that should be blindly defended. There would be extremists to this effect in every organisation and nook and cranny of the world.

But would you concede that any perception of there being an "anti-Liberal plot" isn't helped by the fact that Higgins and Sharaz concocted a story that they could politically weaponise?

Some examples from Justice Lee's would be:

View attachment 1976523

View attachment 1976525

View attachment 1976527
Higgins was a Liberal staffer with ambitions to build a career within the Liberal Party.

The idea that she was acting as some part of a labor plot is ridiculous.

Loving the modern internet.

Forum poster posts an embedded tweet posted by a third party pointing to a web site with a pay wall over a blog post.

Think Not Dead Yet GIF by ABC Network

well, chief, richard ackland is a respected writer on matters legal. just thought there may have been s peep of two on your auspicious forum who may subscribe and have a link. didn’t mean to raise your blood pressure.

Higgins was a Liberal staffer with ambitions to build a career within the Liberal Party.

If you read my post carefully again, you’ll see that I didn’t say that it was a Labor plot.

What is said was that it was politicised by way of maximising attention, which doesn’t help the perception to conservatives who assume such behaviour is targeted.

I think after she was raped in the office, lost her career, couldn't cope, but Reynolds was untouched, Lehrman landed a plush gig, she would have felt victimised all over again.

I can see then that she wanted to get back at the Lib establishment as a whole, and knows the only way to do that is publicly, so maximised the outcome.

If you look at it through the lens of trying to keep the party of rape-excusing misogynists and pedophile apologists out of power, it's a political act in itself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So....you didn't hear the audio or see the transcript with slimebag Shiraz clearly stating that he had contacts in the ALP and then went about using those contacts, weaponisng the issue not because he cared about Higgins welfare, but in order to inflict maximum damage on the Morrison government?

There's someone living in a parallel universe alright...

Sharaz could be bankrupt if he loses: Reynolds’ lawyer

Brittany Higgins’ fiance could ‘go bankrupt’ if he loses the defamation claim lodged against him by former Liberal Minister Linda Reynolds, after abandoning his defence of the case

The slimy Sharaz about to pay the penalty for doing the ALP's dirty work?

Love it!!
They might throw him a coin or two. 2️⃣

I think after she was raped in the office, lost her career, couldn't cope, but Reynolds was untouched, Lehrman landed a plush gig, she would have felt victimised all over again.

I can see then that she wanted to get back at the Lib establishment as a whole, and knows the only way to do that is publicly, so maximised the outcome.

If you look at it through the lens of trying to keep the party of rape-excusing misogynists and pedophile apologists out of power, it's a political act in itself.
I don’t agree with every point or inference that you’ve made there Saint, but I am in agreement that it’s not hard IMV to see the frustration at the probable “businesses as usual” stasis that she may have felt.

More a ‘rage against the machine’ than targeting either side of politics. When she was asked as the Press Club about being involved in politics, it was hard no both from her and Tame.

I don’t agree with every point or inference that you’ve made there Saint, but I am in agreement that it’s not hard IMV to see the frustration at the probable “businesses as usual” stasis that she may have felt.

More a ‘rage against the machine’ than targeting either side of politics. When she was asked as the Press Club about being involved in politics, it was hard no both from her and Tame.
Pox on both your houses seems to be the theme at the moment around treatment of women, DV, sexual abuse etc.

The LNP have the more appalling record, but neither of the major parties are covering themselves in glory. No wonder the true female leaders in Australian politics have come from outside these two parties.

Perhaps though, they're a reflection of society and it's society which needs to change, not just the politicians.

When I did student politics (very brief pretend thing in high school), the basic maths was that (generically speaking) boys would vote for boys, girls might vote for girls or boys, therefore boys were most likely to win. (It's the boys in society who need to change).
Showing leadership in nominating a mix is also a good message that the LNP refuse to send. But even the ALP hasn't had a lot of female party leaders at the federal level. Mostly because places like Qld, WA and outback areas are still worse than my high school in the mentality of the boys. God only knows what the all-boys school outputs are like (we all know, they're bloody awful).

Pox on both your houses seems to be the theme at the moment around treatment of women, DV, sexual abuse etc.

The LNP have the more appalling record, but neither of the major parties are covering themselves in glory. No wonder the true female leaders in Australian politics have come from outside these two parties.

Perhaps though, they're a reflection of society and it's society which needs to change, not just the politicians.

When I did student politics (very brief pretend thing in high school), the basic maths was that (generically speaking) boys would vote for boys, girls might vote for girls or boys, therefore boys were most likely to win. (It's the boys in society who need to change).
Showing leadership in nominating a mix is also a good message that the LNP refuse to send. But even the ALP hasn't had a lot of female party leaders at the federal level. Mostly because places like Qld, WA and outback areas are still worse than my high school in the mentality of the boys. God only knows what the all-boys school outputs are like (we all know, they're bloody awful).
Male violence towards women is all social media's fault doncha know says the ABC as they cross to hear what Barnaby Joyce has to say about it all.

So....you didn't hear the audio or see the transcript with slimebag Shiraz clearly stating that he had contacts in the ALP and then went about using those contacts, weaponisng the issue not because he cared about Higgins welfare, but in order to inflict maximum damage on the Morrison government?

There's someone living in a parallel universe alright...
A Liberal junior staffer was raped by another Liberal staffer in a Liberal seniors office in Parliament which at the time the Liberal Government was in power.

but ya know "bUt LaboR!"

A Liberal junior staffer was raped by another Liberal staffer in a Liberal seniors office in Parliament which at the time the Liberal Government was in power.

but ya know "bUt LaboR!"
Alan Tudge = but Labor
Christian Porter = but Labor
Bruce Lehrmann = but Labor
George Pell = but Labor
David Van = but Labor
Andrew Laming = but Labor
Jamie Briggs = but Labor
Barnby Joyce = but Labor
Andrew Broad = but Labor
George Christiansen = but Labor
Nathan Winn = but Labor
Alan Jones = but Labor

Here is a lovely anecdote about alleged comments from another un-named Liberal Staffer;

“I’d only been an MP for a couple of weeks and we were out for drinks and this Liberal staffer quite aggressively just said, ‘Kate, the only thing anyone wants to know about you is just how many blokes you ****ed in order to get into parliament’,” Ellis alleged.

“Just the fact that he came up and said that to my face when I was an elected MP and he was a staff member, that he still had the confidence to do that.”

But Labor :rolleyes:

Alan Tudge = but Labor
Christian Porter = but Labor
Bruce Lehrmann = but Labor
George Pell = but Labor
David Van = but Labor
Andrew Laming = but Labor
Jamie Briggs = but Labor
Barnby Joyce = but Labor
Andrew Broad = but Labor
George Christiansen = but Labor
Nathan Winn = but Labor
Alan Jones = but Labor

Here is a lovely anecdote about alleged comments from another un-named Liberal Staffer;

“I’d only been an MP for a couple of weeks and we were out for drinks and this Liberal staffer quite aggressively just said, ‘Kate, the only thing anyone wants to know about you is just how many blokes you ****ed in order to get into parliament’,” Ellis alleged.

“Just the fact that he came up and said that to my face when I was an elected MP and he was a staff member, that he still had the confidence to do that.”

But Labor :rolleyes:
If the same attitude was taken to male violence towards women as crime committed by recently released immigration detainees we might actually get somewhere.

If the same attitude was taken to male violence towards women as crime committed by recently released immigration detainees we might actually get somewhere.
At a guess, we see "men" as "us" where we see "immigrants" as "them".

Reactionaries trade on this for money and power instead of explaining it as an emotional response we don't need to be slaves to.

Patricia Karvelas made the point on ABC radio this morning that if an Australian was killed once every 4 days by terrorism there would be wall to wall coverage and an unprecedented response.

It is a fact that power in this country spends more time shielding and protecting and harbouring men who commit these acts than they do confronting them.

Have you bothered to read the verdict yet, champ?
yep champ. use to read your biased, selective interpretation. you sugar coat some of it in order to create the impression you're merely an observer. clearly, the is not so. and your knowledge of the way ministerial offices work is either lacking of you're being deliberatively obtuse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back