Bryce Gibbs for Andy Otten and Patrick Dangerfield ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbs for Otten or Dangerfield would be a bargain for Adelaide.

I rate the young Crows, but you have your head in a bubble if you think they're in the same class as Gibbs.

I think most Crows fans are upset over the word and;)

And I'd wager Crows fans are probably in a position to make a more educated although admittedly less objective decision.

either Otten and Dangerfield, or one of those two, plus a high draft pick.

I don't think that is being unreasonable,

A ridiculous statement that shows the usual trading season mentality of vastly overrating your players while underrating the opposition's. Get your head out of the clouds, you're embarrassing yourself.

Dangerfield was a top 10 draft pick who has shown plenty. If he was involved in a Gibbs trade, you'd be lucky to get a 2nd round pick thrown in, let alone a high draft pick or Otten.

I think Crows fans in this thread are every bit as guilty of underrating Gibbs as Carlton fans are of underrating Dangerfield and Otten. All three are going to be awesome players, with both Gibbs and Dangerfield having "elite potential" written all over them, and Otten only inches behind.

In terms of talent, Dangerfield for Gibbs would be a relatively fair trade - but realistically, the Crows need Dangerfield more than we need Gibbs. Dangerfield's eventual position will be an inside midfielder with good size and pace - something that we simply don't have a replacement for. Gibbs has a huge touch of class and footy nous but we have a couple of those already - admittedly not in Gibbs' league, but at least we have them at all.

Some of the Helen Lovejoy's posting (Carlton fans I might add) in this thread don't understand the gist of my OP, there is a very good chance I hear that Gibbs wants to go back to SA in a couple of years once his current contract expires, and therefore we shouldn't slash our wrists about it, the Crows still would rate him very highly, and as such the club should go down this recruiting zone if as expected, Gibbs wants out of Carlton in a couple of years ...

You'd think I had shot Bambi with my OP, when in reality I was just throwing up a hypothetical ...

And yes I stand by my comment that Bryce Gibbs hasn't elevated his game to the next level, like Marc Murphy has, which is very dissapointing.

It is always interesting on these forums when people make comments such as l HEAR Gibbs wants to go back to SA in a couple of years time, well the reality is that if Gibbs is not resigned beyond 2010 this year next year this topic may be worth debating but clearly there is no REAL EVIDENCE to suggest Gibbs wants to head back to SA, otherwise why do people not have any credibility to nominate a relaible source e.g a carlton insider or in this case one person spreading a rumour without any substance to it.

It is also reasonable to say Murphy has a extra year on Gibbs and he still has the potential to take his game to the next level in next 12 to 18 months.

If at the end of 2010 Dangerfield and Gibbs said they wanted to return to their home states, you'd assume the clubs would just go a straight swap, maybe with a 2nd/3rd round pick involved.

ignoring the minutae of any deal, this is the sort of thing more teams should explore. being less parochial about "their" players, and looking for deals that make sense.

obviously if Gibbs wanted to come home, this is the sort of calibre of player Carlton should be looking for. and given the quality we'd be getting back, you think something could be done.

it certainly wouldn't be otten & Danger + picks or any such nonsense. but we couldn't expect a player with the vision that Gibbs has, without taking some pain in our own player list in return. I'd personally probably danger straight up (and don't tell me you can't see what that lad is turning into) or Otten & Pick. maybe 1st round.

when you talking trade chips who are 200 game players, it should be possible to come to soem arrangement. all it requires is not being so "my guy is the greatest, blah blah..." in approach.

I think Crows fans in this thread are every bit as guilty of underrating Gibbs as Carlton fans are of underrating Dangerfield and Otten. All three are going to be awesome players, with both Gibbs and Dangerfield having "elite potential" written all over them, and Otten only inches behind.

absolutely. I think this is fair. on both fronts.

In terms of talent, Dangerfield for Gibbs would be a relatively fair trade - but realistically, the Crows need Dangerfield more than we need Gibbs. Dangerfield's eventual position will be an inside midfielder with good size and pace - something that we simply don't have a replacement for. Gibbs has a huge touch of class and footy nous but we have a couple of those already - admittedly not in Gibbs' league, but at least we have them at all.

this is also true, we have someone like David Mackay who I see as very similar to Gibbs, not as good. but not that far away. lacks the same vision as gibbs, but moves across the ground like a rolls royce in the same way. he's probably 85% the player. so Danger & Mackay is probably a better balanced combo for us, than say Gibbs & Mackay.

No doubt Dangerfield will end up a very good player and Otten looks like he's got a fair future ahead of him as well. I've no doubt Gibbs will be (and currently is) better than both. He's a complete player with exceptional vision, poise and skill. Still physically has a way to go but already he's one of our best performed players. At 20. He was a fair bit ahead of where Marc Murphy was at the same age and look how well Murphy's developed with some muscle and a couple preseasons.

Do you take a very good and good player over a potentially elite player? Hard to say where Gibbs will end up but of the little he's played through the midfield, he's shown amazing potential and a lot of substance already. I'm sure with the strength and hopefully fitness that'll come with another preseason to or two, we'll see him play predominantly through the midfield.

Dont know how much of Otten you have seen but your description of Giibs describes Otten to a tee. He is an exceptional user of the football with a disposal effeciency of 86%. He is 4cm taller than Gibbs and has the body to match. Make no mistake Otten is not just a tall defender, in years to come he to will play predominantly through the midfield and could well be the equal or better than Gibbs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont know how much of Otten you have seen but your description of Giibs describes Otten to a tee. He is an exceptional user of the football with a disposal effeciency of 86%. He is 4cm taller than Gibbs and has the body to match. Make no mistake Otten is not just a tall defender, in years to come he to will play predominantly through the midfield and could well be the equal or better than Gibbs.

speaking of people overrating their own players.

Otten is going to be a superb player, but he's no gibbs.

Gibbs wont go anywhere.

The reality is that Carlton is still in the 8 and reasonable expectations re progression mean that Carlton is pretty much on track. The draw will fall in your favour providing Gibbs and co a taste of finals.

Next year all of Murphy, Walker, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Hampson, Yarran, Betts, Jamieson and Warnock will be one year older, fitter and better. That is still a very impressive core of young players (I don't necessarily know the other young players well enough to include them).

If a trade was to eventuate Carlton would need to dramatically lower its expectations from Dangerfield + Otten for Gibbs.

Dangerfield is the Ricciuto reincarnate (and I am not even talking about his number). Otten is a good AFL player and is young and will become much better. Dangerfield and Gibbs will be part of a Hird-Ricciuto-Buckly-Voss group of their generation of players. It seems strange that you would get more than like for like. Gibbs has done more at this stage so I suppose that a pick can be thrown in.

Dangerfield + 2nd round pick (maybe a first round pick) seems about right. Dangerfield + Otten and you have done better than you had the right to. Then again, it is Carlton ;)

The OP is a muppet.
Dangerfield clearly is.
No.

Just no.

I'd rather have Gibbs kicking the ball to Fevola or going for goal than Dangerfield...

Gibbs' vision and touch is sublime.
If he was involved in a Gibbs trade, you'd be lucky to get a 2nd round pick thrown in, let alone a high draft pick or Otten.
Grigg for Ottens would be a fair straight swap.

Unless Gibbs is out of contract and the Crows have the first pick in the PSD, Gibbs for Otten or Dangerfield should be an act at the Melbourne Comedy Festival.

Compare Gibbs to Knights at the same stage in their careers and get back to us...

IIRC, Knights wasn't regarded as a good kick, but has stepped up this year and become a goal kicking midfielder/HFF.
Oh yeah and that attitude didn't land you ROK last year ;)
Carlton didn't get ROK because we weren't prepared to downtrade our first pick for Sydney's first pick.

We valued pick 6 higher than Sydney's first pick.

Yarran was the player we wanted if NicNat wasn't there.

Sorry but I lol'd when I read the title of this thread :D

Gibbs is a gun but Otten, Dangerfield AND a 2nd round draft pick for him?? He's not even in the top 50 players in the AFL so how in gods name is that a fair trade? I honestly cannot believe someone has said Gibbs for Dangerfield & Otten would be a bargain for Adelaide :eek: whatever you're smoking give me some of that s**t.

Otten cried for 3 days after he was told playing for Adelaide included moving there.

Gibbs will come through guys, i actually can't believe some carlton supporters are rating him this lowly.. Will be a future captain at your club and will improve out of sight just like Buckley did with his softness. The only area in which Bucks lacked and he turned that around because of his mindset(I believe Gibbs has the same mindset) and became one of the best players in the history of AFL..

Will be a big loss for you guys if he wants to go back home..

The OP is a muppet.

No.

Just no.

I'd rather have Gibbs kicking the ball to Fevola or going for goal than Dangerfield...

Gibbs' vision and touch is sublime.

Grigg for Ottens would be a fair straight swap.

Unless Gibbs is out of contract and the Crows have the first pick in the PSD, Gibbs for Otten or Dangerfield should be an act at the Melbourne Comedy Festival.

Compare Gibbs to Knights at the same stage in their careers and get back to us...

IIRC, Knights wasn't regarded as a good kick, but has stepped up this year and become a goal kicking midfielder/HFF.

Carlton didn't get ROK because we weren't prepared to downtrade our first pick for Sydney's first pick.

We valued pick 6 higher than Sydney's first pick.

Yarran was the player we wanted if NicNat wasn't there.

Grigg for Otten????? Please tell me that is a joke

This is going to be contested and debated on this board but guys you underrate what we've developed in terms of young talent in Adelaide. As a matter of fact we've got a better 22 yo and under group than you. Close but I'm serious

I say that with the greatest respect of Murphy/Kreuzer and Gibbs all of whom will be high class players or stars

We've drafted from the dregs of the draft, noone less than pick 10 and we have some emerging stars and potential superstars

If you dont believe me the ladder and recent results Adelaide v Carlton will back me up.

I've seen plenty of Otten. Doing very well out of defence at the moment and I'd expect him to play further up the ground in the future, though as a linkman/outside player. Gibbs' work in traffic is brilliant and if you think that Otten comes close to him in that regard, you're kidding yourself.

Grigg for Otten????? Please tell me that is a joke

This is going to be contested and debated on this board but guys you underrate what we've developed in terms of young talent in Adelaide. As a matter of fact we've got a better 22 yo and under group than you. Close but I'm serious

I say that with the greatest respect of Murphy/Kreuzer and Gibbs all of whom will be high class players or stars

We've drafted from the dregs of the draft, noone less than pick 10 and we have some emerging stars and potential superstars

If you dont believe me the ladder and recent results Adelaide v Carlton will back me up.

You're doing the exact same by underrating Grigg. I have a lot of admiration for the youth at the Crows - players like Knights, Van Berlo, Vince and Mackay all impressed me last year so I was a bit bemused when people were declaring the downfall of Adelaide.

What has really impressed me this year is the quality of Adelaide's forward line. For the last few years, Adelaide has arguably had the worst forward line in the league, yet by adding Walker and Dangerfield plus the improvement in Tippet to a gun in Porps, it'd have to be the best young forward line in the league after Hawthorn's depending on your definition of young.

That said, Grigg is without doubt one of our more talented youngsters. At the moment, he's clearly our next best young midfielder after Gibbs and Murphy though injury coupled with much more high profile footballers has meant that like Bower in particular, he doesn't receive the plaudits he deserves.

Dangerfield is our midfield king, the one player that can replace Roo. It's his first real year of AFL footy. He's still 19 but he's ranked 2ND in the AFL behid Kerr for % of contested possessions, something that Gibbs hasn't been able to do consistently in his football career. He's so valuable to us because he can not only do the in and under stuff, but he can also find the uncontested ball and use his pace(which he hasn't shown yet at AFL consistently). Sure Gibbs has shown more at AFL but this is Dangerfield's first AFL season, I'm sure if given another 1 or 2 more seasons he'll be just as good as Gibbs. Dangerfield is as special talent to Adelaide as Gibbs is to Carlton. That is a ridiculous trade, Danger+ Otten is no chance and I'm sure that if ever Gibbs wants to leave your recruiting team would understand that as well. However I'm not so sure Gibbs wants to leave, he seems to doing fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back