Bundesliga 17/18

Remove this Banner Ad

Bayern move to 4 points clear in first place, BVB drop to 3rd behind RBL (on the same points as 4th places Schalke)

Sucks about BVB going to s**t so early, thought it was gonna be a spicey season. They need to be careful, in real danger of losing their CL spot.

Is there any such thing called a 'stable' team in the Bundesliga? Because it feels like the only constants in that league are Bayern winning, Dortmund in the area, and Hamburg somehow avoiding relegation these days.

Feels like relegation fodder can fight for CL and the established big hitters flirt with danger from time to time.

Is there any such thing called a 'stable' team in the Bundesliga? Because it feels like the only constants in that league are Bayern winning, Dortmund in the area, and Hamburg somehow avoiding relegation these days.

Feels like relegation fodder can fight for CL and the established big hitters flirt with danger from time to time.

The biggest problem is how unreliable the biggest clubs are. 2 seasons ago and before, you could rely on Schalke, M'Gladbach, Leverkusen being in the mix at the top. Nowadays they're all over the shop. Schalke have top 20 revenue in the world and can't translate that to a strong and stable squad. I feel like it's the German mentality, having a financially strong and stable club is more important than spending up and getting results. Partially why all the German teams suck in continental competitions. Also why Bayern, with all their money and appeal, aren't taking the CL home more often.

The biggest problem is how unreliable the biggest clubs are. 2 seasons ago and before, you could rely on Schalke, M'Gladbach, Leverkusen being in the mix at the top. Nowadays they're all over the shop. Schalke have top 20 revenue in the world and can't translate that to a strong and stable squad. I feel like it's the German mentality, having a financially strong and stable club is more important than spending up and getting results. Partially why all the German teams suck in continental competitions. Also why Bayern, with all their money and appeal, aren't taking the CL home more often.
Do you think France or Italy will surpass the German league in terms of performances soon?

Do you think France or Italy will surpass the German league in terms of performances soon?

PSG, like Bayern, will be doing all the heavy lifting in keeping their league relevant in Europe. I have little faith in the other French teams to do much.

But I think Italy will inevitably, if it hasn't already, surpass the German league. It's excited to see Napoli doing so well, and Inter, and though AC Milan haven't quite lived up to the pre-season hype, Italian football is looking pretty good.

BUNDESLIGA MATCHDAY 12

(all times in Australian Western Standard Time, +1.5hours NT/+2.5 hours SA/+2 hours Qld/+3 hours Vic, NSW, Tas)

Vfb Stuttgart - Borussia Dortmund (18/11 3:30am)

FC Bayern München - FC Augsburg (18/11 10:30pm)

TSG 1899 Hoffenheim - Eintracht Frankfurt (18/11 10:30pm)

Bayer 04 Leverkusen - RB Leipzig (18/11 10:30pm)

1. FSV Mainz 05 - 1. FC Köln (18/11 10:30pm)

VfL Wolfsburg - Sport-Club Freiburg (18/11 10:30pm)

Hertha BSC - Borussia Mönchengladbach (19/11 1:30am)

FC Schalke 04 - Hamburger SV (19/11 10:30pm)

SV Werder Bremen - Hannover 96 (20/11 1:00am)

PSG, like Bayern, will be doing all the heavy lifting in keeping their league relevant in Europe. I have little faith in the other French teams to do much.

But I think Italy will inevitably, if it hasn't already, surpass the German league. It's excited to see Napoli doing so well, and Inter, and though AC Milan haven't quite lived up to the pre-season hype, Italian football is looking pretty good.

France have a few teams who could challenge any German team on their day (Monaco, Lyon). Clubs like Marseille and Lille are gradually getting better too. PSG and Bayern are on another level, then Dortmund and Monaco, then it's fairly even between most other sides. There isn't much between Lyon-Bayer Leverkusen and Marseille-Schalke.

France have a few teams who could challenge any German team on their day (Monaco, Lyon). Clubs like Marseille and Lille are gradually getting better too. PSG and Bayern are on another level, then Dortmund and Monaco, then it's fairly even between most other sides. There isn't much between Lyon-Bayer Leverkusen and Marseille-Schalke.

Lille are definitely not improving though. Currently 19th in the league.

Lille are definitely not improving though. Currently 19th in the league.

Fair point but with the talent they have it shouldn't be too much longer until they're out of the drop zone at least. Their start to the season has surprised me big time though. I had them as Top 5 contenders at the start of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw that James is finally getting played and he and Bayern are ripping it up. It looks like they are started to put faith in him over the established stars.

i think it's injuries to Muller and Ribery that really opened the door for him to get consistent game time, but he is certainly making the best of his opportunity. Now Coman is injured for a couple weeks with a foot injury, his spot is still safe. Will be interested to see if he is still in Jupp's good graces when everyone is healthy.

BUNDESLIGA MATCHDAY 13

(all times in Australian Western Standard Time, +1.5hours NT/+2.5 hours SA/+2 hours Qld/+3 hours Vic, NSW, Tas)

Hannover 96 - VfB Stuttgart (Game finished 1-1)

Borussia Dortmund - FC Schalke 04 (25/11 10:30pm)

RB Leipzig - SV Werder Bremen (25/11 10:30pm)

Sport-Club Freiburg - 1. FSV Mainz 05 (25/11 10:30pm)

Eintracht Frankfurt - Bayer 04 Leverkusen (25/11 10:30pm)

FC Augsburg - VfL Wolfsburg (25/11 10:30pm)

Borussia Mönchengladbach - FC Bayern München (26/11 1:30am)

Hamburger SV - TSG 1899 Hoffenheim (26/11 10:30pm)

1. FC Köln - Hertha BSC (27/11 1:00am)

------

Couple decent games tonight. Dortmund v Schalke, Frankfurt v Leverkusen should be fun. Not sure if we're allowed to post stream links in here but if anyone doesn't have Fox and is interested in watching then lemme know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back