Bye Bye Nobles

Remove this Banner Ad

Not only 3rd string but 3rd string behind X and CCJ - really? Wow that was a bad basic football judgment error made by Nobes - how could our coach think that?

I'm sure there are plenty of these stories like this - there must be given how bad we were under his watch.
The same bloke who thought LDU was best used forward for large portions of games.

I'd nominate Ben McKay as the third player who would leave. When he extended to the end of 2023 last year, his brother also extended to the same date, if I am not mistaken. That has troubled me ever since because I can see a big push for the brothers to unite at the one club. We should be trying to get Harry to us.

Make it happen Euge.

He told Goldstein he was third string but then played him all season as the number one ruck.

Ok ok ok.
That’s more on Goldi rocking up from round 1 and demanding he stay in the side.
If Noble still hadn’t picked him on form well then, swings and roundabouts and all that. Still got sacked as coach in the end so 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'd nominate Ben McKay as the third player who would leave. When he extended to the end of 2023 last year, his brother also extended to the same date, if I am not mistaken. That has troubled me ever since because I can see a big push for the brothers to unite at the one club. We should be trying to get Harry to us.

Make it happen Euge.
I reckon it was Powell

He told Goldstein he was third string but then played him all season as the number one ruck.

Ok ok ok.
Yeah did you miss the pre season bit?
Ok ok ok - lol to that.

And you may need to revisit our early games. We played all three first up and it was a disaster.

I would suggest Noble over stated the ability of both Xerri and CCJ. And changed his mind. It was a comment based on mindset of Noble , I’’m well aware of how many games Goldy has played this season. Just as I am well aware of how much better he is than the other two.

Goldy wants to play next, why haven’t we signed him you think?

Ok ok ok - lol to that.

And you may need to revisit our early games. We played all three first up and it was a disaster.

I would suggest Noble over stated the ability of both Xerri and CCJ. And changed his mind. It was a comment based on mindset of Noble , I’’m well aware of how many games Goldy has played this season. Just as I am well aware of how much better he is than the other two.

I have to agree. I was dismayed at the way Goldy was treated, with it appearing that Xerri and CCJ were preferred over him. The bloke still is one of the best and smartest ruckman in the competition and trying to make either or both of the other two our number 1 man in that area, was crazy stuff.

Sign him up now and see what the pre-season throws up. If either of the other two consistently outperforms him in the next pre-season, then by all means they become number one. It should be on merit always and right now, Goldy is still the man on merit.

I hope he gets to the 300 games at our club, because he has been a wonderful player and servant of our club and deserves to get there. And he will do it on merit if he gets there.

Ok ok ok - lol to that.

It's interesting how mindsets change though. I reckon this year has been Goldy's best for at least 3-4 years... wonder how much of that is because there was actual pressure on his position?

Given that Nobles was on a rolling contract anyway there really should have been a contingency/accession plan in place. you don't put someone on a rolling contract unless you are prepared to pull the trigger, and if you pull the trigger you have to have the contingency sorted.

the management have dropped the ball on this one,

Ok ok ok - lol to that.

I didn't miss any of your post, the inference was Goldstein was walking if we kept Noble on. Considering that was the preseason and Noble made it to Rd 17 with Goldy as our number one ruck for the vast majority, if not all the season, then that's some mighty big grudge from an out of contract 34 year old.

I'm not reading too much into contracts for next year, there's a long time to go.

Ok ok ok - lol to that.

Why haven't they signed him - Because someone is an idiot.

I have to agree. I was dismayed at the way Goldy was treated, with it appearing that Xerri and CCJ were preferred over him. The bloke still is one of the best and smartest ruckman in the competition and trying to make either or both of the other two our number 1 man in that area, was crazy stuff.

Sign him up now and see what the pre-season throws up. If either of the other two consistently outperforms him in the next pre-season, then by all means they become number one. It should be on merit always and right now, Goldy is still the man on merit.

I hope he gets to the 300 games at our club, because he has been a wonderful player and servant of our club and deserves to get there. And he will do it on merit if he gets there.
Agree. Sign him on one year deals like Boomer until someone takes the number 1 mantle from him. Its not rocket science IMO.

Make it happen Euge.

I would support us trading the #1 overall pick for Harry McKay, if it helped us lock both of them up long-term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some miscellaneous thoughts.

If Noble telling Goldstein he's 3rd banana is true, while I don't agree with it, it's still worth recognising he would've been setting things up for the future of the club. I'd be more judgemental about why it took him all of 1 senior game to soil himself about this supposed future setup and drop CCJ.

Again, have said previously I'd have played Goldstein as #1 ruck the whole time and let the others sort themselves out. Neither had done that much compelling to take his spot. Fwiw I'd give Goldstein a 2+ year deal right now. He was/is entering Boomer territory for being prematurely consigned to the NM scrapheap based on his birth certificate.

I'm curious about now the point Rick18 raised in his post-Noble article - what exactly happened over the 2021-22 offseason to change things so much?

I refuse to put it down to just missing Ben Cunnington. Something shifted dramatically to move from a fairly positive latter 2021 to a total balls-up in 2022. In the interest of couch coach learning, I'd be curious how this occurred.

We started the season with positive sentiment. People were actually very unrealistic in declaring Hawthorn's imminent demise and our sudden rise. Nobody saw any of this coming preseason on here.

I would support us trading the #1 overall pick for Harry McKay, if it helped us lock both of them up long-term.
I’d expect him to cost more and considering he’s a year off fa I’d try to entice him through Ben, we have $, not sure how Carl can afford him with everyone else.

Pie in the sky stuff I know but if we could snare him as FA we’d be screaming

I’d expect him to cost more and considering he’s a year off fa I’d try to entice him through Ben, we have $, not sure how Carl can afford him with everyone else.
jabba-the-hutt-laugh.gif

Never gets old.

Understand your thinking but our efforts should be chasing a solid backman. Thats our biggest weakness right now.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's been said or not but... I find it very interesting how the players claim to have loved Noble yet I've noticed something interesting.

Remember when it was reported the players didn't like the complexity of the game plan Noble wanted to implement and wanted something simpler?

In both LDU and Larkey's interviews on Sunday they said that during the week they worked on a game plan that would be more simple as something they desired.

Understand your thinking but our efforts should be chasing a solid Jackman. Thats our biggest weakness right now.
I think Hugh's getting a bit long in the tooth to get a game these days.

Understand your thinking but our efforts should be chasing a solid Jackman. Thats our biggest weakness right now.
Hopefully more in the Wolverine mode, less Boy from Oz.

Spare a thought for Noble.

I feel sorry for him……what must be going through his head right now.

David strikes me as a very well balanced and thoughtful individual. He’d accept that his approach didn’t work out in time for him to prosper. He always struck me as similar to Brendan McCartney from the get go. He seemed to have a “teaching” style about him, which can rankle some players, as he never deviated or looked for shortcuts. Hopefully, like Bevo, our new coach will reap the benefits.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We started the season with positive sentiment. People were actually very unrealistic in declaring Hawthorn's imminent demise and our sudden rise. Nobody saw any of this coming preseason on here.

Pre season maybe, there were definitely signs come inter club / pre season games that things weren't exactly clicking.

Pre season maybe, there were definitely signs come inter club / pre season games that things weren't exactly clicking.
I felt that from the praccies but read back some of the stuff in the Hawthorn thread before the game.

People were laughing about how much pain was coming Hawthorn's way and locking in our 4 points.

Nek minnit..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back