Traded Callum Coleman-Jones [Traded to North Melbourne with 42, 47 and a future 4th for Tarrant, 40 and a future 2nd]

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, but if the tables were turned, I wouldn't begrudge Richmond sending a player to the PSD without a favorable deal.
Despite what many of my fellow supporters think, the psd is there to help the bottom clubs get us contracted players without giving up anything in return.
Wouldn’t have begrudged north for doing it at all.
it is what it’s there for after all.

South Australian lad at an interstate club stuck getting few opportunities behind a plethora of champion footballers..

could be looking at the Crows thinking... if I go home and play for them i’ll definately get more opportunities.

So, if you’re Richmond and he asks for a trade this year, you probably say “yeah, weve got some fairly good stocks of CCJ’s type at present, might as well let him go this year whilst he’s contracted and get more for him than we might if he still wants out next year when he’ll be uncontracted”...

its the same thinking as it is behind clubs and players that are going to have/be Free Agents at the of the next year looking at possibly trading them a year earlier in the hope another club takes the bait and they end up coughing up more for the player than the player would get their current club for FA compo..
Yeah that’s fair enough. We wouldn’t want him to go. So seeing he’s under contract, what do you think would be a reasonable offer?

Yeah that’s fair enough. We wouldn’t want him to go. So seeing he’s under contract, what do you think would be a reasonable offer?
i don't really know to be honest...

and so many times us supporters put our 2 cents worth in on forums like this... and then end up looking the fool when the clubs have completely different ideas of what a players worth.. i’ve pretty much given up trying to make a decent guess on trade values!..

Probably better off for the Tigers just holding him, wouldn't get any more than a late 2nd for him best case scenario at the moment.

Unless they were willing to let him go out of good will (assuming he wants out) hard to see a reason for it.
We got nank for pick 46 from the swans so rucks are a tricky one to gauge if not getting a game.

Probably better off for the Tigers just holding him, wouldn't get any more than a late 2nd for him best case scenario at the moment.

Unless they were willing to let him go out of good will (assuming he wants out) hard to see a reason for it.
This reminds me exactly of the Shai Bolton thread from 2 years ago , But i guess the oppo supporters wouldnt know who he is iff he fell on their heads
But i'll tell you 1 thing. If he was at Hawks he would be your number #1 Ruckman and would have played every game

LOL Seriously man , We are all saying that we would rather trade 2 premiership ruckman rather than CJ and your talking 2nd round pick FMD
CCJ was a 2nd round pick in 2018, who has played a grand total of 1 AFL game over 3 years. How the hell do you think he has gone up in value?

CCJ was a 2nd round pick in 2018, who has played a grand total of 1 AFL game over 3 years. How the hell do you think he has gone up in value?

Yeah, it's not like the club he plays for has won 2 premierships in that time, and has 3 ruckmen and two top line Key Forwards ahead of him.

Or that of the 4 ruckmen at the club (2 of whom have won premierships), he's the one most observers consider to have the most upside/brightest future and is least likely to be traded at the club's instigation.

Context matters.

Yeah, it's not like the club he plays for has won 2 premierships in that time, and has 3 ruckmen and two top line Key Forwards ahead of him.

Or that of the 4 ruckmen at the club (2 of whom have won premierships), he's the one most observers consider to have the most upside/brightest future and is least likely to be traded at the club's instigation.

Context matters.
You make it sound like Soldo/Nankervis is some kind of super ruck duo. In reality they are bang average and if CCJ was as good as these "observers" say then he would have more than 1 game at the top level.

Context matters, but if you take off the rose tinted glasses and look objectively, you'll see a 21 year old ruckman with a couple of decent vfl seasons. No team is gonna pay more than a 2nd round pick for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This reminds me exactly of the Shai Bolton thread from 2 years ago , But i guess the oppo supporters wouldnt know who he is iff he fell on their heads
But i'll tell you 1 thing. If he was at Hawks he would be your number #1 Ruckman and would have played every game
LMFAO no, despite Richmond being a very good team they do not have great ruck stocks. Him not getting a game at this stage shows where he is at.

Context matters.
Doesn't matter

His value doesn't increase by not playing games... Just being at a successful club doesn't make him good.

He has talent and he may be great going forward but his value has 100% decreased since being drafted.

Big boys take time. But they also need game time. Because Richmond have been pushing hard for a flag every year since CCJ was drafted, they really haven't been in a position to play the kids just to give them experience. The kids that have been played got their chances because of injury. That's how Soldo got his chance at some extended game time, when Nankervis went down. He's now grown into a competent, competitive No 2 ruck. No, he's not great - but he's OK.

CCJ has had one game where both Nank and Soldo were unavailable - and got thrashed (Bellchambers has got Brownlow votes in exactly 1 game in the past 3 years - guess which one?). Fairly typical for a young ruck's first game. He needs more time to develop - but Richmond aren't tanking, haven't 'put the cue in the rack' at any time - so CCJ hasn't had anymore chances.

It's a dilemma. He's certainly highly rated according to the club press releases - but if we don't (or can't) give him fair development, then it's fair enough he at least talks to the club about his options.

You make it sound like Soldo/Nankervis is some kind of super ruck duo. In reality they are bang average and if CCJ was as good as these "observers" say then he would have more than 1 game at the top level.

Context matters, but if you take off the rose tinted glasses and look objectively, you'll see a 21 year old ruckman with a couple of decent vfl seasons. No team is gonna pay more than a 2nd round pick for that.

I know a North supporter wouldn't understand this, but when you're in contention for the Grand Final, you don't tend to give kids games just for 'development', but tend to play older, harder bodies, particularly in the ruck. He'd easily of played 20+ games in a team like yours.

Oh, and those 'couple if decent VFL seasons' includes a VFL flag and another GF appearance, so it's not like he wasn't getting some good experience, and putting in some genuine quality performances there.

I know a North supporter wouldn't understand this, but when you're in contention for the Grand Final, you don't tend to give kids games just for 'development', but tend to play older, harder bodies, particularly in the ruck. He'd easily of played 20+ games in a team like yours.

Oh, and those 'couple if decent VFL seasons' includes a VFL flag and another GF appearance, so it's not like he wasn't getting some good experience, and putting in some genuine quality performances there.
Sure, teams at the pointy end generally play more experienced players, but Nankervis has only played 12 of 37 games this year and last.

You would expect if CCJ (pick 20, 2017) is actually highly rated at Richmond, he would push himself ahead of Chol (pick 45, 2018 rookie draft), and Soldo (pick 68, 2015 rookie draft).

He's now 200cm and 102kg according to the RFC website, so it's not size holding him back.

None of this has any effect on his value though... We get why he isn't getting games BUT that does hurt his value.

He was only named in the bests 8 our of 19 games last year and 4 the year before that in the VFL.

Good teams let decent young players go all the time due to lack of opportunity. CCJ would absolutely be behind Goldy as first choice ruck and behind Ben Brown and Larkey as tall forwards up until this season. He would not have been playing every game at North.

They have a better ruckmen than Richmond do... Just being in a good team does not mean he has great rucks ahead of him.

Lol, such a pretentious load of crap. No wonder Richmond fans get such a bad rap here. Here's a fun fact, just because your team won a couple of premierships doesnt mean your opinion is better than anyone else's.

Its also not about just development, if he was as good as you say he is, he would've forced his way into the team, past your two mediocre rucks. CCJ would be easily behind Goldy at North and far behind Brown and Larkey too, so your 20+ games point is well off.

And yes, a couple of decent VFL seasons. Awesome that he won a grand final playing against a star studded Williamstown team, featuring North delistee Mitch Hibberd. Doesn't guarantee he'll ever make it at AFL level though.

Sure, teams at the pointy end generally play more experienced players, but Nankervis has only played 12 of 37 games this year and last.

You would expect if CCJ (pick 20, 2017) is actually highly rated at Richmond, he would push himself ahead of Chol (pick 45, 2018 rookie draft), and Soldo (pick 68, 2015 rookie draft).

He's now 200cm and 102kg according to the RFC website, so it's not size holding him back.

Size matters less than age, experience and physical maturity.

Know a lot of under 21 ruckmen getting lots of games in decent teams? Or could it be that most clubs prefer a few more years of seasoning before throwing them in?

Size matters less than age, experience and physical maturity.

Know a lot of under 21 ruckmen getting lots of games in decent teams? Or could it be that most clubs prefer a few more years of seasoning before throwing them in?
He isn't even dominating at VFL level though... Wasn't even in the top 6 for the VFL B&F

He is 200 cm and over 100kg he is physically as ready as Nank or Chol he is just not as good as them at the moment.

Chol was a rookie in 2016 draft and then delisted and picked back up in 2018.

Probably similar to Preuss' value a few years ago and Preuss was behind Goldstein not Nankervis/Saldo.

We traded him for Tyson, who in reality was worth a 3rd rounder.

The best ruckman in the draft has often been picked closer to 20 than the top 10 (Luke Jackson the exception).

No way can he be worth anything more than around pick 30-40. You can get the best 1 or 2 18 year old ruckman in the draft for a top 30 pick these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back