Traded Zac Fisher [traded with #17 to North for #21 and #25]

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm not according to the recent CBA. $450k p.a puts him at about average in 2024.

I’ve had a look at his career games accumulated so far, he was gifted a lot early on when Carlton were holding up the ladder. Carlton supporters I know won’t bat an eyelid once he’s gone and have assured me he won’t get a game next year anyway so they’ll be glad to get his contract off the books. Hardly screams anything more than a third rounder if you ask me.

PS if I’m North I’m avoiding Fisher at all costs but their list is like Swiss cheese so it’s better than nothing.

A bit of a simplistic way to look at it. Names like Grundy, Stephens, Flynn, Jordan, Esava, BZT, (Shiel, Duursma, Adams?) are probably not best 22 (or on the fringe) at their respective clubs but all will net picks within the first two rounds. Some of them more established and some of them less established than Fish. Only Grundy and Esava will be on bigger contracts.

Fisher's money may be better used elsewhere but as of now no player has nominated Carlton as their club of choice. Our cap is not a worry and he hasn't been forced out. He will play anywhere from 10-25 games if retained at Carlton, was extended 12 months ago, so is seen as required.

Pick 42 particularly in this draft is low.

Last edited:

Fisher has shown he can play at the level in 3 different roles. HB, Wing/Mid and HHF. He's better than half of Norths current players and would walk into their 22 despite having some flaws as a player.

Pick around 30-35 his value imo.

I'd be happy to land a late 2nd rounder for him (early to mid 30s). Can't see us getting much more than that but would be disappointed if anything later than a second rounder given he does have two years on a contract.

North will want it done for a pick in the early 40s. Blues ideally will want a pick in the early 20s. Suspect they meet in the middle, and it gets done for something in the early 30s or equivalent.

Neither club is known for playing it tough and both list managers seem pretty amicable with each other. Suspect it gets done later in the week as North will have bigger priorities and picks flying around everywhere. Once the dust settles, they will be in a better to work through what they can offer for Zac.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A similar pick in a stronger draft where you will value the points more for bids

We only have one pick in the first 3 rounds of this draft, so I think strengthening our current draft hand will be a bigger priority. Plus, F3 points wise isn't amazing anyway. If the offer was 42 + F3 for Fisher and F4 it might be considered. So we accept a less than ideal pick this year but get some points for next year as a bonus.

Is contracted for another 2 years. If North dont give us what we want he stays and that is pretty simple to understand.

42 is way to low in this draft and like others have mentioned about the 30 mark is where i have him value wise.

I don't see why we don't hold firm on a F2 from North here.

Contracted, proven at the level, in our best 25ish. Would rather keep and get probably 10-15 good games out of him, potentially more if he strikes some form.

If they don't want him for that, we should be more than happy to keep him. I don't want to trade him, hopefully the club feels the same unless it's in our favour.

If 42 is the “starting point” then you’d assume we end up with slightly more than that.

I think his value is being overrated a touch by blues fans on here but may as well shake the tree a bit and see what falls out
After what Brady Rawlings gave up for CCJ I'd be asking for Pick 2 and 3 from him for Fisher.

I don't see why we don't hold firm on a F2 from North here.

Contracted, proven at the level, in our best 25ish. Would rather keep and get probably 10-15 good games out of him, potentially more if he strikes some form.

If they don't want him for that, we should be more than happy to keep him. I don't want to trade him, hopefully the club feels the same unless it's in our favour.

Do you really want him though? If I’m Carlton I’d want him off the books. He’s a potato and would get a much better opportunity (and contract right now) at North.

Do you really want him though? If I’m Carlton I’d want him off the books. He’s a potato and would get a much better opportunity (and contract right now) at North.

No idea what the club thinks, but I'd be more than happy keeping him. Fisher is far from a potato and has some very desirable attributes. He's the right age, played some good footy this year and we don't have many of his type.

Whether he gets more opportunity and money at North isn't really my/our concern. He signed a contract that sees him in Navy for two more years. If North want to change that, it needs to be in our favour IMO.

Pick 21 or a F2 is minimum in my view, whether that happens or not remains to be seen.

It’s all about opportunity cost for Carlton at this point.
He’s under contract, but has received a better contract offer at another team.
He fell out of the best 22 this year, but is in the top 26 players at the club.
He can play multiple roles as shown when he came back into the team on the half backline during the back end of the season.

So it comes down to can we get something in the trade that will benefit us as a team. Whether that be in the future or present.
A pick 42 in a shallow compromised draft is highly unlikely to be that.

It’s all about opportunity cost for Carlton at this point.
He’s under contract, but has received a better contract offer at another team.
He fell out of the best 22 this year, but is in the top 26 players at the club.
He can play multiple roles as shown when he came back into the team on the half backline during the back end of the season.

So it comes down to can we get something in the trade that will benefit us as a team. Whether that be in the future or present.
A pick 42 in a shallow compromised draft is highly unlikely to be that.

Probably more baffling from a North sense if anything given the contract situation. To pay a kings ransom for this joker could hurt them in the long run.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back