Traded Esava Ratugolea [Traded to Port Adelaide for #25, #76 and #94]

Remove this Banner Ad

Sav seems happy now that he is getting played ... but being OOC ... puts the ball in his court.. as if he wanted to go, then he would just go for little. Just like most other OOC players.

For example .... I wonder who would get more as a trade ... Esava R. or Charlie Comben if he decided to go else where.

Comben turning 22 this year ...and an ex Falcon... considering Geelong's lack of height I hope they at least enquire...

Very ordinary forward, very ordinary ruck, ordinary defender but still learning, who knows if he’ll end up being decent. Still has lots of wtf moments down back and isn’t someone I’d be pinning my hopes on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port were willing to offer their second rounder last year, when he was very much on the fringes.

With him being best 22 this season, you'd think it would need to be an early second rounder (20-25 or so) at least now.

Hes ooc now though he wasnt last year.

Hope we keep him.
I like his determination to come back from a broken leg, show early signs but then get relegated to the VFL and spend the next 2 years developing his game.

We are better off taking a punt in the hope he can continue to improve as a defender.
6ft'5/110kg's, he just needs more games.
Late first rounder should get it done.

Best 22 key defender who is a very good interceptor.

They don’t grow on trees.

If it wasn't for Geelong's injuries he wouldn't be playing. Once Jack Henry returns I doubt Rats will be in the team.

I'll just leave this here:

"Improving Cats defender Esava Ratugolea says he “never wanted to go” despite a push to be traded to Port Adelaide late last year and he is “happy here” in Geelong.
Out-of-contract at the end of this season, talks are yet to formally kick off between Ratugolea’s management and Geelong.

The big man has settled into a crucial role in defence for the Cats so far this year and has played in every game, including playing as the only genuine tall backman in round 4 with Sam De Koning (concussion) out.

The 24-year-old asked to be moved to the Power in last year’s trade period after playing just one match after round 3 in 2022.

But the Cats held him to the final year of his contract and the move to defence has paid off.

Ratugolea said he loves playing in the hoops.

“I had discussions with the right people (during the off-season) and I love this club, I never wanted to go but I would have hated myself if I didn’t explore and try and get a good opportunity for myself but I am happy here,” he said.

“I have had a few discussions with my manager, we catch up a lot but the biggest thing for me is to try and keep myself in the team really.

“Just to play as consistently as I can, keep my spot and hopefully we can go from there. I will put all of that (contract) stuff to the side because all of that stuff is so distracting.”

Coach loves him and he's happy - won't go anywhere now that he's been given a shot where he wants to play.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back