Traded Esava Ratugolea [Traded to Port Adelaide for #25, #76 and #94]

Remove this Banner Ad

He wasn't even bad last night, just 1 mistake that will be shown a lot.

17 touches, 9 marks, 8 intercept possessions and some nice spoils.
thats the Sav experience, some pretty good stuff and some absoloute brain-dead howlers

He wasn't even bad last night, just 1 mistake that will be shown a lot.

17 touches, 9 marks, 8 intercept possessions and some nice spoils.
Still, would to hate to have him in our side right now.

Scott would find a way to squeeze him in, and it just doesn't work with all of Stewart, SDK, Henry, & Kolo available.

I was at the Sydney game last year where it ended in a draw, and I've never seen the defenders so animated and aggressive towards their own player.

The problem is Sav can't defend 1v1. He's an interceptor only, and on the rare occasions he can do that well, he takes so long to get the ball moving that the opposition have already set up.

It's mark, usually fall over, then a long telegraphed kick down the line to a pack. Rinse and repeat.

If you're not going to defend, then you need to uber-reliable when you're off your man, and it's even better if you can offer something offensively (Stewart, J Henry)

I walked away from the ground that night knowing his papers where stamped. He's not a dud, but he couldn't have played here for the foreseeable future with the players we have available.

Am I reading this incorrectly or is it a mistake? https://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-order

By this list, it appears that our picks from Ratugolea ended up being an early second rounder (Mitch Edwards) a fourth rounder (George Stevens) and our second fifth rounder (Lawson Humphries)?

If we got Humphries as well as Stevens as the 'lol, Mackie' throw ins in this trade, that's looking like an interesting epilogue indeed. Humphries looks like he's going to feature quite a bit in the AFL in the future, from early glimpses.

Am I reading this incorrectly or is it a mistake? https://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-order

By this list, it appears that our picks from Ratugolea ended up being an early second rounder (Mitch Edwards) a fourth rounder (George Stevens) and our second fifth rounder (Lawson Humphries)?

If we got Humphries as well as Stevens as the 'lol, Mackie' throw ins in this trade, that's looking like an interesting epilogue indeed. Humphries looks like he's going to feature quite a bit in the AFL in the future, from early glimpses.
He looks the pick of the 3 players mentioned. I wonder why no interest from West Coast? He looks AFL ready imo

He looks the pick of the 3 players mentioned. I wonder why no interest from West Coast? He looks AFL ready imo
Humphries? He never actually nominated for the draft after footy got knocked out by covid. He went to a pretty decent school apparently and they convinced him to go to uni instead

If we got Humphries out of that hissy fit Mackie threw over late picks then his actions are entirely vindicated. Mind blowing.

Lawson didn’t nominate for the 2021 or 2022 draft because he was focusing on his anthropology studies, but he is the same age as his Hale School team mate and Dockers first round pick Neil Erasmus. In 2020 Lawson was the Hale School First XVIII Captain and also received the Fairest and Best award with Neil being the runner-up. The following year Lawson was Vice Captain of the successful Swan Districts colts premiership team and was selected in the WAFL colts team of the year but West Coast showed little interest 🤔

Lawson didn’t nominate for the 2021 or 2022 draft because he was focusing on his anthropology studies, but he is the same age as his Hale School team mate and Dockers first round pick Neil Erasmus. In 2020 Lawson was the Hale School First XVIII Captain and also received the Fairest and Best award with Neil being the runner-up. The following year Lawson was Vice Captain of the successful Swan Districts colts premiership team and was selected in the WAFL colts team of the year but West Coast showed little interest 🤔
Thanks for that. I thought he was part of the West Coast Academy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for that. I thought he was part of the West Coast Academy.

Listed as alumni here. But so is his mate Erasmus who in other articles is clear his paperwork was never lodged with the AFL in time so he was never an academy player for them so I don't know what's going on there.

Listed as alumni here. But so is his mate Erasmus who in other articles is clear his paperwork was never lodged with the AFL in time so he was never an academy player for them so I don't know what's going on there.

Humphries was 100% part of West Coast's NGA. From what I've read (including his own account), he was simply nowhere near it in terms of his fitness at the end of 2022 and WAFL reserves was the right level for him to start 2023. And he's just worked his backside off ever since.

That is correct as 76 and 94 came in as everyone passed. That said if we didnt have pick 94 the afl would have given us 110 or something which would have come in to the 60s anyway. So you could argue we would have got humphries either way.

This trade is too early to tell the full picture because edwards is young raw and injured. Come back in 2 years. That said savs ongoing brain fades at port show why we didnt want to give him 5years to keep him even though we could have afforded it. Nice guy but doesnt suit our system.

That is correct as 76 and 94 came in as everyone passed. That said if we didnt have pick 94 the afl would have given us 110 or something which would have come in to the 60s anyway. So you could argue we would have got humphries either way.

This trade is too early to tell the full picture because edwards is young raw and injured. Come back in 2 years. That said savs ongoing brain fades at port show why we didnt want to give him 5years to keep him even though we could have afforded it. Nice guy but doesnt suit our system.

Yeah, I guess looking at it realistically, we probably could have got him anyway if we were hell-bent on it, but I'll surely get a lot of mileage out of it if Humphries becomes a key player for us.

Yeah, I guess looking at it realistically, we probably could have got him anyway if we were hell-bent on it, but I'll surely get a lot of mileage out of it if Humphries becomes a key player for us.
Mitch will eventually be a very good player. He is a great runner, a terrific contested mark and a competitor, but he is also built like a point post at the moment

Last edited:
Humphries was 100% part of West Coast's NGA. From what I've read (including his own account), he was simply nowhere near it in terms of his fitness at the end of 2022 and WAFL reserves was the right level for him to start 2023. And he's just worked his backside off ever since.

That is true but this is what sets Wells apart as a recruiter. He focuses on what players can do rather than what they can’t do and then he asks the question what could they potentially become in a full-time professional training environment? Tim Kelly was overlooked in 4 drafts before Wells called out his name, and then of course there’s the recruitment of Stengle, Stewart, Atkins etc. 🙂

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back