Opinion Cameron, Patton, Boyd or Tomlinson -we must get one

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree we can't afford another million per year deal but we can certainly get a Carlisle in on $700 per and still stagger the key kids contracts through. Libba, Macrae, Stringer and Bont are the logical lockdowns. If someone offered Dahlhaus a legacy deal elsewhere and he left as a result it would pain us greatly but he plays a far more readily replaceable role/skill set than the 4 lockdown targets are. I love Dahlhaus, Smith, Hunter etc but I could stomache losing one or two in a salary cap squeeze to get Carlisle into our CHB position.

I agree we can't afford another million per year deal but we can certainly get a Carlisle in on $700 per and still stagger the key kids contracts through. Libba, Macrae, Stringer and Bont are the logical lockdowns. If someone offered Dahlhaus a legacy deal elsewhere and he left as a result it would pain us greatly but he plays a far more readily replaceable role/skill set than the 4 lockdown targets are. I love Dahlhaus, Smith, Hunter etc but I could stomache losing one or two in a salary cap squeeze to get Carlisle into our CHB position.

I don't think Carlisle will take $700 from us when Boyd is on twice that.

Boyd on $1.4M...where did you get that figure from?

Actually, Boyd is on double THAT - $2.8M p.a. and the term is actually 15 years - but it will be worth it when we break the Pies' 4-peat record in 2017-21. And when Boyd retires in 2028, he and Bonts and Carlisle will buy the club with all the money they've made, and we will become the WB BBC FFC - and their statues will sit alongside Teddy's out the front. F.A.C.T. :p

That is a silly argument - 7 year contract - take the average per year to work out an accurate comparison. ie $1M/yr.

You get the point.

Carlisle could get that money staying put.

He'll want a lot more to move over.

He will be in the first couple of years...

Players don't compare front ended or back-ended contracts - they are smart enough to know that your average over the life of the contract is what matters and that is the figure people quote when comparing salaries.

The most recent rumours I heard were that Boyd is on $850 base and has the ability to earn more based on performance. So I guess his max is going to be around $1M or a bit more - and if he performs to earn the bonus we will no doubt be delighted to pay it.

Players don't compare front ended or back-ended contracts - they are smart enough to know that your average over the life of the contract is what matters and that is the figure people quote when comparing salaries.

The most recent rumours I heard were that Boyd is on $850 base and has the ability to earn more based on performance. So I guess his max is going to be around $1M or a bit more - and if he performs to earn the bonus we will no doubt be delighted to pay it.

Exactly. When I first heard the figures being bandied around, I thought something like that would be the case, a big base, but not in the $1m p.a. range, but with the potential to earn the $1m if he, and we, hit certain targets. Happy with that - assuming guys like Bonts will be given similar options, although maybe at not such stratospheric heights.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You get the point.

Carlisle could get that money staying put.

He'll want a lot more to move over.

Or he'll happily bypass money for a move to his boyhood club on the brink of a premiership window, who won't inject him with drugs :)

My mates mate is Carlisles' future father in law. Carlisle is very happy at Essendon loves the players and appreciates what Essendon has done for him especially financially. Can't see him leaving but you never know

FWIW - I've heard that a million dollar deal for Carlisle is already on the table from Brisbane, so getting him for $700-750k is unlikely. I still don't think he's going anywhere though.
They then got Beams and others, so will struggle to fit in Carlisle.
Would love Carlisle but think we need to keep our own. Extend stringer, Bonti and macrae first, then dahl, libba, wallis, Hrovat and hunter. If money left, try for Carlisle.

They then got Beams and others, so will struggle to fit in Carlisle.
Would love Carlisle but think we need to keep our own. Extend stringer, Bonti and macrae first, then dahl, libba, wallis, Hrovat and hunter. If money left, try for Carlisle.
The deal is on the table for the end of next year is my understanding. They still have plenty of cap space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back