Recommitted Cameron Zurhaar [Re-signed to 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I think I'd much rather keep him.

He's easily a 40+ goal a year forward in a finals team. He was almost that last season in the wooden spoon side.
His best ever return is 31 goals.

He is not a 40 goal a year forward, and I challenge the assumption that he’s a 40 goal a year forward in a better team.

A better team has actual kfs, who they target and a better spread of good players than north who would arguably be going through zuurhaar a lot

He could be better at another team possibly, he could improve, but I think it’s far from a given he scores a bunch more goals.

His best ever return is 31 goals.

He is not a 40 goal a year forward, and I challenge the assumption that he’s a 40 goal a year forward in a better team.

A better team has actual kfs, who they target and a better spread of good players than north who would arguably be going through zuurhaar a lot

He could be better at another team possibly, he could improve, but I think it’s far from a given he scores a bunch more goals.

I’m glad you challenge it.

Goals in his last 22 games?

You’re counting across 2 seasons.

His best ever return in a season is 31 goals. That’s an inescapable fact.

Therefore he is not a 40 goal a year forward.

I couldn't care less, it's still 22 games.

You said he's not capable of being a 40+ a year goal scorer.

When he's already done it across the last 22 games, just not in the same calendar year.

When he's already done it across the last 22 games, just not in the same calendar year.
A 40 goal a year forward does it consistently over the year he is not that and hasn't done it. Last 22 games are irrelevant if they're not in the same season. He has not kicked more then 31 goals in a season in his career to date

I said he is not a 40 goal a year forward , based on the fact he’s never kicked that yet

I also disputed the assertion he would kick more in a good team by pointing out he almost certainly gets targeted less in a better team.

I said he is not a 40 goal a year forward , based on the fact he’s never kicked that yet

I also disputed the assertion he would kick more in a good team by pointing out he almost certainly gets targeted less in a better team.
In fairness, its hard to know. Do the more forward entries counter your argument that he gets targeted less? Maybe as a percentage he gets targeted less, but still gets more opportunities due to a higher rate of inside 50's you would expect from a good team.

He would also get a lesser defender in a good team.

Last edited:

Half way through the season and he is only on 14 this season would want a big finish to get close this year

In fairness, its hard to know. Do the more forward entries counter your argument that he gets targeted less? Maybe as a percentage he gets targeted less, but still gets more opportunities due to a higher rate of inside 50's you would expect from a good team.

He would also get a lesser defender in a good team.
How many more forward entries would a team get and how would that equate to a substantial amount of goals?

If zuurhaar is converting forward entries at a certain rate ie let’s say 1 goal from 25/35/50 entries or some such, it would take a hell of a lot of extra forward entries to raise his goal tally by a significant margin, especially if he’s getting targeted less.

How many more forward entries would a team get and how would that equate to a substantial amount of goals?

If zuurhaar is converting forward entries at a certain rate ie let’s say 1 goal from 25/35/50 entries or some such, it would take a hell of a lot of extra forward entries to raise his goal tally by a significant margin, especially if he’s getting targeted less.
Due to neither of us knowing those stats, it is equally plausible that we both could be right. My point is, for everyone one of your crystal ball opinions, their are counter crystal ball arguments

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Due to neither of us knowing those stats, it is equally plausible that we both could be right. My point is, for everyone one of your crystal ball opinions, their are counter crystal ball arguments
Zuurhar isn't the type to benefit in a better team. He would be a 3rd tall hybrid not one of the big kahunas

Zuurhar isn't the type to benefit in a better team. He would be a 3rd tall hybrid not one of the big kahunas
You dont think getting a lesser opponent in a good team helps him improve his output?

I mean, perspective, he is playing in one of the worst modern day teams we have seen.

You dont think getting a lesser opponent in a good team helps him improve his output?

I mean, perspective, he is playing in one of the worst modern day teams we have seen.
He is but because they have such poor forwards around him he gets targeted more then he would in a better team. He is only 188cm remember

He is but because they have such poor forwards around him he gets targeted more then he would in a better team. He is only 188cm remember
True, but being arguably their 2nd best forward, means he is getting the 2nd best defender. At the tigers for example he would get the 4th. Massive difference playing on a flanker than a second key.

I just think he has heaps of untapped potential and could be areal weapon in a better team. I also think he could play 20% midfield and do some damage with his physicality.

True, but being arguably their 2nd best forward, means he is getting the 2nd best defender. At the tigers for example he would get the 4th. Massive difference playing on a flanker than a second key.

I just think he has heaps of untapped potential and could be areal weapon in a better team. I also think he could play 20% midfield and do some damage with his physicality.
But if he was at the tigers he would have Lynch and Riewoldt ahead of him + Balta types too hes not commanding the ball over them

Mate North averages about 40 inside 50s a game with the worst delivery in the league.

In other sports you can actually trade coaches. Doc Rivers was traded from Boston to LA Clippers for a first round pick. But that's sprinting and the AFL is still crawling when it comes to this stuff.

American sports would trade every supporter in the arena for cardboard cut outs if it somehow made them a few extra $$$. The AFL aren't second rate because we don't value trading players mid seasons, or coaches for that matter which is utterly ridiculous.

On Zurhaar, I feel he quite a unique talent who could add something to most teams in the competition. I know for a fact that Hawthorn is missing that enforcer type, with Connor Nash our only real 'tackle to hurt' player. Gunston and Breust are nearing the end. Zurhaar isn't a like for like replacement, but wouldn't look out or place alongside Lewis, Kosi, Moore, Butler etc over the next decade.

Given we've now resorted to playing Logue as a third tall, I really think we should be all over Zurhaar. Logue made a massive difference just being a mobile tall who can mark and pressure, he didnt even need to do anything else and it made us more dangerous.

Think he'd round our forwardline out perfectly and I'd be pretty comfortable handing over a pick around 20 to be honest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back