Can GC turn this around?

What is the future of the GC Suns?

• They will eventually become successful and become a destination club.

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • They will be dissolved or moved by the AFL within the next ten years.

Votes: 66 30.3%
  • They will merge with a Melbourne club within ten years.

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • They will survive for years but will rarely make the finals.

Votes: 105 48.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

To be frank, I want them to fold.
Like many of us I believe Tassie should have gotten a team before the Gold Coast.
Now they're making a mockery of the game, they don't deserve a club

You're a fool and possibly a troll. What's done is done and it's irrelevant debating what should have happened in 2009. I didn't want the Lions to get rid of Bradshaw, does that mean it's mature to piss and moan and burn a Lions guernsey ten years later?

As for making a mockery of the game, have you seen Carlton for most of the past 16 years? Guess we should fold them too, bluebaggers don't deserve a club because their management suck.

You're a fool and possibly a troll. What's done is done and it's irrelevant debating what should have happened in 2009. I didn't want the Lions to get rid of Bradshaw, does that mean it's mature to piss and moan and burn a Lions guernsey ten years later?

As for making a mockery of the game, have you seen Carlton for most of the past 16 years? Guess we should fold them too, bluebaggers don't deserve a club because their management suck.
Theres certain clubs been around a hell of a lot longer and have been a joke for longer than the Suns.

Should they be kicked out?
Not a troll, just a personal opinion. Agreed re other teams being a joke but I'm just talking about GC.

Not a troll, just a personal opinion. Agreed re other teams being a joke but I'm just talking about GC.

And it shows the quality of the main board that the question can be asked about expansion clubs but yet gets called trolling and the thread closed if its asked of the VFL clubs.

And it shows the quality of the main board that the question can be asked about expansion clubs but yet gets called trolling and the thread closed if its asked of the VFL clubs.
To be honest that's none of my concern. I came here speaking about GC. Not the Giants or Vic teams. GWS have done pretty much everything right, glad they're in the comp. GC have not and as I mentioned I would have rather Tassie, like most people. Life is often unfair so it won't happen but would I like to see GC fold? Would it give Tassie more of a chance?
Yes.

To be honest that's none of my concern. I came here speaking about GC. Not the Giants or Vic teams. GWS have done pretty much everything right, glad they're in the comp. GC have not and as I mentioned I would have rather Tassie, like most people. Life is often unfair so it won't happen but would I like to see GC fold? Would it give Tassie more of a chance?
Yes.

Im fine with that, but we should be able to discuss that about all clubs then.

Suns wont fold, more chance of a club that has been failing for 100 years being axed/moved than the Suns.

Interesting that you have to push it onto another club not doing well in areas, how about pushing the good reasons for having a club up there?

or is that to difficult?
So posters can’t have their opinions? Didn’t realise that you could control the narrative be it negative or postitive

Interesting

Hey guys I think Collingwood should have folded in 1999, and St Kilda in 2000, and Freo in 2001, and Carlton in 2007, and Melbourne and Brisbane too, because they were poor on-field at some point. We could have had an awesome 5-team competition, instead we have these sad sacks still around. Fold them all, I say.

Cutting Lyons was actually a great call by the Suns.

The guy was a snake who was consistently challenging the authority of Dew and Swallow. He's similar to Brent Maloney. All the inside talent in the world doesn't make up for the cultural nightmare he was creating. Well done to Dew and the Suns for taking a strong stand :thumbsu:

That’s total bullshit - unless he’s gone a total 180 character change in his time at GC; which I doubt.

Articles today state he was given a brutal end of season review, took it on the chin and wanted to improve - then Brisbane came knocking.

I am ok with Vic clubs being discussed too .
Though There is a difference between the development clubs and established Victorian clubs.
When a Vic club is down on its luck on and off field like Footscray , North Nelbourne and Melbourne in the last 10-20 years they have has a solid supporter base, an established brand that marketers like , established networks for marketing and support which new clubs dont have. It’s all part of being new so its not the new clubs fault but there is a difference.
Look at Carlton now, doing very poorly but gee they have the support and structure to fight back and no one doubts that they will not. It’s a no brainer they will be a power again.
Look at how EFC bounced back after the drug scandal, that should have been the end of them and for a lot of clubs it would have but there established support and structures allowed them to fight back quickly.
I am shocked that Footscray did not fold and bang they are premiers. Their fans would not let them die, they were like a dog on a bone pardon the pun.

Now looking at Gold Coast, they are lacking these other qualities off field so when things are going poorly the foundations do shake.
The AFL is their saving grace, they will fight tooth and nail for GFC but dont be surprised that they have a contingency plan in place for the moment the ships has taken too much water.
The development clubs fans I understan hate this chatter, i get that but they should realise it is not the clubs or fans fault but just a fact of being new kid on ther block and it is far harder for a new club to survive a storm.

You really are carrying on about nothing in a thread specifically about a certain club

Why not make another thread about the particular topic instead of acting like the victim
Simple really. Any thread like this brought up about a vic club and it gets closed and shutdown.

All for the discussion but it should be open for all.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Interesting that you have to push it onto another club not doing well in areas, how about pushing the good reasons for having a club up there?

or is that to difficult?

Golly gosh you're a sensitive one, it's like the word "Giants" makes you automatically defensive. I'll repeat my point. The only big difference between the expansion clubs is that one is doing well on-field due to good football decisions, and one is doing badly on-field due to poor football decisions. And yet silly people are calling for the axe, but only for one of them? My point is they're silly because every club will do well at some point and every club will do poorly at some point.

All better now? Has it sunk in yet that I'm not here to trash the Giants?

That’s total bullshit - unless he’s gone a total 180 character change in his time at GC; which I doubt.

Articles today state he was given a brutal end of season review, took it on the chin and wanted to improve - then Brisbane came knocking.

Apologies for posting this guys; thought the subject at present was the GC delisting their best midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am ok with Vic clubs being discussed too .
Though There is a difference between the development clubs and established Victorian clubs.
When a Vic club is down on its luck on and off field like Footscray , North Nelbourne and Melbourne in the last 10-20 years they have has a solid supporter base, an established brand that marketers like , established networks for marketing and support which new clubs dont have. It’s all part of being new so its not the new clubs fault but there is a difference.
Look at Carlton now, doing very poorly but gee they have the support and structure to fight back and no one doubts that they will not. It’s a no brainer they will be a power again.
Look at how EFC bounced back after the drug scandal, that should have been the end of them and for a lot of clubs it would have but there established support and structures allowed them to fight back quickly.
I am shocked that Footscray did not fold and bang they are premiers. Their fans would not let them die, they were like a dog on a bone pardon the pun.

Now looking at Gold Coast, they are lacking these other qualities off field so when things are going poorly the foundations do shake.
The AFL is their saving grace, they will fight tooth and nail for GFC but dont be surprised that they have a contingency plan in place for the moment the ships has taken too much water.
The development clubs fans I understan hate this chatter, i get that but they should realise it is not the clubs or fans fault but just a fact of being new kid on ther block and it is far harder for a new club to survive a storm.
You are right they are different.

Saints north et all have had 100 years and their supporter bases are low, very low if you only include games against interstate sides.

Now I'm not saying boot any sides as I'm against that, as a Balmain rugby league fan, but if you are allowed to discuss the life of a new club in a region with only 2 clubs then surely we can discuss clubs who are still very much struggling after 100 years and in a region with 10.

Not saying this thread shouldnt exist, as I think some one here seem to have missed, but threads of this ilk should not be canned depending on which club it is, traditional or otherwise.

Golly gosh you're a sensitive one, it's like the word "Giants" makes you automatically defensive. I'll repeat my point. The only big difference between the expansion clubs is that one is doing well on-field due to good football decisions, and one is doing badly on-field due to poor football decisions. And yet silly people are calling for the axe, but only for one of them? My point is they're silly because every club will do well at some point and every club will do poorly at some point.

All better now? Has it sunk in yet that I'm not here to trash the Giants?

As for defensive that's amusing when taking in some of your posts.

Leave us out of it then bananas. Post benefits without having to have a go at other clubs.

Better yet create a thread about us if you wish to discuss us then.

Ye gods? People really talk like this?

Nah not at all.

If I was I would be targeting bigger fish.

I'm puzzled why you're so passionate in defence of Gold Coast?

And would you rather an expletive-laden, aussie-style post - would you make you happy?

Delisting of Lyons is absolutely ludicrous..I'm betting a massive row took place between him and Dew. Suns supporters deserve a full and honest explanation.

I'm puzzled why you're so passionate in defence of Gold Coast?

And would you rather an expletive-laden, aussie-style post - would you make you happy?

Delisting of Lyons is absolutely ludicrous..I'm betting a massive row took place between him and Dew. Suns supporters deserve a full and honest explanation.

I'd be protective of any club.

As fornthe delisting of Lyons. Whose to say the above post is wrong.

It might be they are clearing house

Will GC turn it around with these geniuses in charge?

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/g...r/news-story/e8ab3c8920a8dc73aa75b49d6125b148

“We are very much in a development phase, given that Tom (Lynch) and Steven (May) were going to leave us.

“We needed to look at some of the younger midfielders and give them more game time.

“We just felt Jarryd couldn’t be guaranteed a spot beyond his contract of 2019.

OUT
Jarryd Lyons: born 22 July 1992. 89 career games.

IN
George Horlin-Smith: born 22 December 1992. 49 career games.

Really blooding the youngsters up there aren't we

Will GC turn it around with these geniuses in charge?

OUT
Jarryd Lyons: born 22 July 1992. 89 career games.

IN
George Horlin-Smith: born 22 December 1992. 49 career games.

Really blooding the youngsters up there aren't we

I’m not sure they got GhS to play inside mid

Back