MVP Carji Greeves Medal 2018 - Mark Blicavs

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a Blicavs fan?

What more could we as a club have asked of him this year - it may be something of a surprising result but he did his job week in & week out. It's a thoroughly deserved win tonight

Standing Ovation Applause.gif

I think you might have an inkling, I hope you do know that I think you're one of the most informed + intelligent Posters on our Board.

Everything you said above is true.

Blitz played his guts out, in every position, Scott played him, in past years. Finally Blitz was rewarded with a regular position in Defence + he shined! A very deserved acknowledgement of his efforts.

I think some people are under-valuing Blicavs season & forgetting the following key stat which was released on August 18 - our matches after that date were against Freo, GC & Melbourne:

Jack Riewoldt, Ben Brown, Tom Lynch, Taylor Walker and Jesse Hogan.

An imposing list of forwards that includes the current top two contenders in the Coleman Medal race and one of the most sought after free agents in the game.

In 2018 Mark Blicavs has spent 388 minutes matched up against these five big names. He has conceded just three goals.

An only ok player doesn't restrict those 5 players to a total of 3 goals between them, especially when they kicked 224 between them across the season. And I'm terms of their average goals per game, all were 2 goals or more other than Walker who was 1.86

So it would be great to know how a few other FBs went against that list of 5 forwards I'm comparison - because Blicavs was clearly doing something right

What was a little interesting to me was that in his speech, Kelly gave nothing away. We have no idea about his intentions, and tonight would have been a great possible time to divulge a little.

If he waits until he is back in WA before announcing he wants to leave, he will drop down in my view.

I'm not a fan, especially when he plays further up the ground. The coach loves him which is obvious which means tonight's result is no surprise. But in no way did he have a better year than Ablett.
Kolo isn't the type of player that you expect would have fans!

Kolo is a defender who is 6'4 and is strong and fast and agile and has the cardio to play on the wing, he can play smalls, mediums and talls.

The development at Geelong is phenomenal and Kolo is developing into a very good AFL third tall/CHB.

Playing him on the wing is good for his development and that is why he was played there in the pinch over the past few seasons.

He's the sort of player that just goes out and does his job with minimal fuss and he does that job nine out of ten times and not one supporter says anything and on the tenth week he has a shocker and he is trash.

The Coaching staff, Football Department and the MC would hold him in high esteem and that just goes to show how little some of the most vocal critics actually understand the game of football technically and tactically.

The same people who would slate Wellsy every year but not even recognise a great prospect who plays on their own team every week!

Kolo is comparable to Marchbank IMO, both top tier prospects for defense in the modern AFL.

Health permitting both players will have very good careers and to be honest, right now Marchbank wishes he's had Kolo's career.

He was one of our best players this year. I think Stewart was better though. Kelly I think overrated reminds me of Tom Mitchell.

He was one of our best players this year. I think Stewart was better though. Kelly I think overrated reminds me of Tom Mitchell.
Tom Mitchell is a gun; only has one detraction, and that is his jumper.

What was a little interesting to me was that in his speech, Kelly gave nothing away. We have no idea about his intentions, and tonight would have been a great possible time to divulge a little.

I think Kelly is still torn. He 'did' acknowledge his team mates, thanked Geelong for his opportunity to play AFL, said he enjoyed playing at Geelong + thanked the Club, players + WAGS for their kindness. Well, it's my interpretation of his speech.

Kelly said his family would remain in Geelong, after tonight, to get to know the city, to spend some time, which they hadn't done.

Fingers crossed.

Stewart is flashier, but over a whole season, Blicavs does what the coaches want from him, plus more. He has evolved into a top notch defender.

I think some people are under-valuing Blicavs season & forgetting the following key stat which was released on August 18 - our matches after that date were against Freo, GC & Melbourne:

An only ok player doesn't restrict those 5 players to a total of 3 goals between them, especially when they kicked 224 between them across the season. And I'm terms of their average goals per game, all were 2 goals or more other than Walker who was 1.86

So it would be great to know how a few other FBs went against that list of 5 forwards I'm comparison - because Blicavs was clearly doing something right

We are fans! We are #TeamBlicavs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure it often happens but it appears Blicavs lead from start to finish - at least from when the leader board was made available after round 5

Isn't there normally a few changes at the top of they leader board across the night, and while that happened with the other placings in the top 10, I don't recall Mark dropping from #1 on the leader board when the tally's were released

Kolo isn't the type of player that you expect would have fans!

Kolo is a defender who is 6'4 and is strong and fast and agile and has the cardio to play on the wing, he can play smalls, mediums and talls.

The development at Geelong is phenomenal and Kolo is developing into a very good AFL third tall/CHB.

Playing him on the wing is good for his development and that is why he was played there in the pinch over the past few seasons.

He's the sort of player that just goes out and does his job with minimal fuss and he does that job nine out of ten times and not one supporter says anything and on the tenth week he has a shocker and he is trash.

The Coaching staff, Football Department and the MC would hold him in high esteem and that just goes to show how little some of the most vocal critics actually understand the game of football technically and tactically.

The same people who would slate Wellsy every year but not even recognise a great prospect who plays on their own team every week!

Kolo is comparable to Marchbank IMO, both top tier prospects for defense in the modern AFL.

Health permitting both players will have very good careers and to be honest, right now Marchbank wishes he's had Kolo's career.
I love your points about Kolo. Definitely a keeper in our 22, much to the apparent chagrin of many Cats fans here on BF.

Not sure it often happens but it appears Blicavs lead from start to finish - at least from when the leader board was made available after round 5

Isn't there normally a few changes at the top of they leader board across the night, and while that happened with the other placings in the top 10, I don't recall Mark dropping from #1 on the leader board when the tally's were released
That's what I thought too. Emphasises his consistency, durability, and effectiveness.

View attachment 568595

I think you might have an inkling, I hope you do know that I think you're one of the most informed + intelligent Posters on our Board.

Everything you said above is true.

Blitz played his guts out, in every position, Scott played him, in past years. Finally Blitz was rewarded with a regular position in Defence + he shined! A very deserved acknowledgement of his efforts.

Any chance you have overplayed this gif. I think I loved it the first 14 times but now....

I love your points about Kolo. Definitely a keeper in our 22, much to the apparent chagrin of many Cats fans here on BF.

To be fair many of those "astute" judges were saying the same thing about Blitz 2 years ago. Our supporter base on BF is spoilt and a little bit ignorant to the nuances of the game. Where are all those people who were calling Blitz a spud now. They just go quiet until they can find someone else to shame. The frustrating thing is no one can be bothered holding them to account so they get away with these outlandish comments because by the time they are proven wrong people have forgotten who said it

To be fair many of those "astute" judges were saying the same thing about Blitz 2 years ago. Our supporter base on BF is spoilt and a little bit ignorant to the nuances of the game. Where are all those people who were calling Blitz a spud now. They just go quiet until they can find someone else to shame. The frustrating thing is no one can be bothered holding them to account so they get away with these outlandish comments because by the time they are proven wrong people have forgotten who said it

Blitz isn't a spud now because he is played in the correct position. When he played as a midfielder, he bordered on being as useful as a solar powered torch.

True, and they pressure those that try and support these non-spuds to feel as if that support is farcical.
Tbh, it is very derogatory to label any player that gets to wear a (Geelong)AFL jumper a spud.

Blitz isn't a spud now because he is played in the correct position. When he played as a midfielder, he bordered on being as useful as a solar powered torch.
From my pov, he has never been a spud. Even as an odd shaped mid, he gave 100+%, and was useful.

Where are all those people who were calling Blitz a spud now. They just go quiet until they can find someone else to shame.

Those trollops are still here (and on Facebook and everywhere else) saying "How did Blicavs win? If he's winning, then it shows JUST how bad the problem is at Geelong"

All the while forgetting it was basically his first year as a consistent, permanent defender holding some of the league's best forwards to account.

If the facts don't fit their biases, they discard the facts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back