Welcome to East Germany Carlton and Collingwood - who finishes higher in 2023? Collingwood Ofcourse

Who finishes higher?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m confident that Collingwood beat Melbourne and I reckon that Sydney will beat Carlton.

There you go, Collingwood into another Prelim and Carlton exiting with a whimper and be the forgotten finalist.
Hmm another Pies fan writing out a cheque that you can't cash.;)

Wait wait wait a minute.

Fadgey made his account in 2007???

Are you telling me he has to be over 20??

That makes no sense!

...... actually now that i think about it.... If we account for the fact hes a Collingwood fan and a bit of a nuffy...... Yeah ok never mind, checks out.
Oh look, another one who was missing in action when it wasn't looking too promising for the once almighty Blues...

Pies have been my tip since about round 6 and haven’t seen enough to change from that.

However, despite Pies fans banging on about top spot being locked away, training loads etc. There are some genuine concerns and you can’t just put it all down to the club not caring. Premiership contenders want to be playing their best footy heading into September. Just last year we saw the previous hot favourite Dees hobble into September and end up bundled out in straight sets.

Pies staple for two years has been the strength of their backline which continually has held up under some serious heat. It hasn’t been great for the last 6 weeks.

Combine that with bringing back Daicos and Moore off extended breaks and it’s hardly ideal. We’ve seen in finals before underdone players seriously struggle. I’m not saying they’ll end up doing so but it’s definitely something to watch.

Think it’s ridiculous to say the Pies are simply sitting back without a concern in the world. Are we forgetting how problematic Darcy Moore’s hamstrings have proven previously?

The MCG factor, finals experience etc and the lack of other real standout threats works in their favour and is why I’m still tipping them.

Blues on the other hand have been playing some good footy obviously. Last few weeks a bit eh but it’s hard to be at your best every week.

Finishing 5th generally isn’t ideal for a flag tilt though. Blues should be kicking themselves for whatever that was they dished up earlier in the season. Would be looking at a top 4 spot.

Expect a win over the Swans but anything more is asking a lot in my opinion. Typically finals experience does count for something. Carlton has none of it.

Pies have been my tip since about round 6 and haven’t seen enough to change from that.

However, despite Pies fans banging on about top spot being locked away, training loads etc. There are some genuine concerns and you can’t just put it all down to the club not caring. Premiership contenders want to be playing their best footy heading into September. Just last year we saw the previous hot favourite Dees hobble into September and end up bundled out in straight sets.

Pies staple for two years has been the strength of their backline which continually has held up under some serious heat. It hasn’t been great for the last 6 weeks.

Combine that with bringing back Daicos and Moore off extended breaks and it’s hardly ideal. We’ve seen in finals before underdone players seriously struggle. I’m not saying they’ll end up doing so but it’s definitely something to watch.

Think it’s ridiculous to say the Pies are simply sitting back without a concern in the world. Are we forgetting how problematic Darcy Moore’s hamstrings have proven previously?

The MCG factor, finals experience etc and the lack of other real standout threats works in their favour and is why I’m still tipping them.

Blues on the other hand have been playing some good footy obviously. Last few weeks a bit eh but it’s hard to be at your best every week.

Finishing 5th generally isn’t ideal for a flag tilt though. Blues should be kicking themselves for whatever that was they dished up earlier in the season. Would be looking at a top 4 spot.

Expect a win over the Swans but anything more is asking a lot in my opinion. Typically finals experience does count for something. Carlton has none of it.
All very reasonable and balanced.

I don't think anyone has suggested the Pies have been 'sitting back without a worry in the world), except maybe in jest.

Moore and Daicos are the last two players we could afford to lose, and certainly will be a challenge unless they return and play their best football.

But the point Pies supporters have been making is that the early wins that were banked meant the top 4 spot and therefore double chance was locked away early, which allowed us to be overly cautious when it comes to team selection and therefore interrupts continuity, etc. (In the same way we saw for Carlton on the weekend).

It is also difficult to maintain the extreme level of intensity upon which the Pies game plan is based, so their recent performances have been excused to a degree.

Does it mean they will be able to automatically switch it back on in two weeks for the finals series? Not necessarily. But I for one am optimistic they can do so based on what we've seen from them for the better part of two years whilst McRae, Bolton and Leppitsch have been at the helm.

Your point about Carlton blowing a top 4 spot in the first half of the season is spot on. They would absolutely be as good a chance as anyone if they had Melbourne's position in 4th and maintained the level of performance they had shown for the two months through to the Melbourne win.

But (fortunately) they're a position lower, which means an infinitely less likely possibility of doing the damage they are hopeful of in September.

This is my biggest concern - I have always felt that to have any significant impact in finals you need to have some finals experience throughout the team. I'm hoping all the close games and high pressure moments we've been in at the end of 2022 and last 10 weeks of 2023 against good sides is a pretty good replication of finals but guess we won't know until next Friday night.

Dees won a couple of finals in 2018 having been out of finals 12 years and would of had comparable amount of players with finals experience, so it wouldn’t be unprecedented.

Bigger concern for me is maintaining the rage after winning 9 on the trot, which would be comparable to Sydney’s issue in 2017, making finals after being 0-6.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All very reasonable and balanced.

I don't think anyone has suggested the Pies have been 'sitting back without a worry in the world), except maybe in jest.

Moore and Daicos are the last two players we could afford to lose, and certainly will be a challenge unless they return and play their best football.

But the point Pies supporters have been making is that the early wins that were banked meant the top 4 spot and therefore double chance was locked away early, which allowed us to be overly cautious when it comes to team selection and therefore interrupts continuity, etc. (In the same way we saw for Carlton on the weekend).

It is also difficult to maintain the extreme level of intensity upon which the Pies game plan is based, so their recent performances have been excused to a degree.

Does it mean they will be able to automatically switch it back on in two weeks for the finals series? Not necessarily. But I for one am optimistic they can do so based on what we've seen from them for the better part of two years whilst McRae, Bolton and Leppitsch have been at the helm.

Your point about Carlton blowing a top 4 spot in the first half of the season is spot on. They would absolutely be as good a chance as anyone if they had Melbourne's position in 4th and maintained the level of performance they had shown for the two months through to the Melbourne win.

But (fortunately) they're a position lower, which means an infinitely less likely possibility of doing the damage they are hopeful of in September.
Infinitely is a bit strong.

I’d replace it with somewhat … less likely.

Looking at our H&A effort, I’d say we needed the 6weeks we happened to lose, to arrive at 5th. Growing, learning believing & all that.

If pies can reach their heights of July Premiers - they should take it out.

But they haven’t been that for over a month.

I think the Dees have the favourites mantle for now.

The prophesy stands - Carlton v Wobblers in a few weeks - time will stand still.

Infinitely is a bit strong.

I’d replace it with somewhat … less likely.

Looking at our H&A effort, I’d say we needed the 6weeks we happened to lose, to arrive at 5th. Growing, learning believing & all that.

If pies can reach their heights of July Premiers - they should take it out.

But they haven’t been that for over a month.

I think the Dees have the favourites mantle for now.

The prophesy stands - Carlton v Wobblers in a few weeks - time will stand still.
Given only one team has ever won the flag from outside the top 4 in the 23 iterations of this finals series structure, I'll stick with 'infinitely', whilst you can have your 'somewhat less likely'...

This is my biggest concern - I have always felt that to have any significant impact in finals you need to have some finals experience throughout the team. I'm hoping all the close games and high pressure moments we've been in at the end of 2022 and last 10 weeks of 2023 against good sides is a pretty good replication of finals but guess we won't know until next Friday night.

How much finals experience did the Collingwood '02 side have? They almost knocked over one of the best sides of the modern era. Finals "experience" is overrated. Melbourne had plenty last year, what did that amount to?

Dees won a couple of finals in 2018 having been out of finals 12 years and would of had comparable amount of players with finals experience, so it wouldn’t be unprecedented.

Bigger concern for me is maintaining the rage after winning 9 on the trot, which would be comparable to Sydney’s issue in 2017, making finals after being 0-6.
There have been EFs that turned out to be absolute fizzers (ie significantly less pressure than a lot of H&A games), it's not so much finals experience as it is how the team performs in games with a lot of pressure.

Not sure I'm game to click on a random link posted by a Carlton supporter...

Spit Take Lol GIF by Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back