Rumour Carlton is the ‘frontrunner’ to acquire Giants gun Josh Kelly if he decides to leave GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Havent Carlton been 2 years in to a rebuild for the last 20 years?

Roos recognised his talent before anyone else. Would be good to see that faith rewarded.

A pick 2 in the draft, finished 4th in a top 4 sides B&F in his 3rd year & elevated into the leadership group for his 4th. Maybe he should stay at GWS who have recognised his talent?

He's not a rookie listed player who has been given a shot ffs. His talents have been noticed since he was a junior.

Threads like this make me laugh, supporters slogging it out as to where a player is supposedly going. Would love Kelly at Carlton but winning cheap points on BigFooty forums about it ain't going to make any difference to where he eventually ends up.
True very true. But at least you get a good laugh out of all the tooing and froing.we can all do with a good laugh these days.
For my 2 cents worth i reckon he will sign for 2 more years at giants. .then when he's 25. Come back to vic and let the bidding commence

Havent Carlton been 2 years in to a rebuild for the last 20 years?

Roos recognised his talent before anyone else. Would be good to see that faith rewarded.
Love this ridiculous kind of logic. Just because you don't win a flag for 20 years, that does not mean you were rebuilding that entire time.

We've had two separate stints at going for a flag, one in 1999 and then one from 2008-2014 with Ratten and Malthouse that ended up with us getting no further than a semi final.

Since turfing Malthouse we've completely changed the club, brought in a new young coach, new list management and plenty of new players in the hope of building a genuine premiership contender.

They had an open cheque book and a ridiculous amount of top draft picks. How could they not have put together a strong list?
Kreuzer spent 2007-2012 dealing with injuries on and off. Instead of putting good players around Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Simpson etc to turn a finals team into a contender, we drafted absolute hacks in that period mostly.

Not that hard to understand really. You need more than a few guns to win.

Are they even on Carlton's list anymore?

Whiley delisted, and Jacksh playing decently in the VFL, but not knocking on the door for a senior birth. I personally disliked the trade at the time, and dislike it even more now. Good news is that we have had two excellent trade & draft periods in a row which has given the club momentum to continue an upward growth. This is allowing us to put some poor trading and drafting decisions made by Shane Rogers behind us, and enjoy the successful decisions made by Silvagni.

My personal hope is that players from other clubs see the culture and future we are building, making us a more desirable location for free agents such as Kelly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there not a minimum for contracts?

Its not at the moment because of the large projected jump but there will be squeeze down the track.

I also think the minimum 95% salary cap spend forces clubs to overpay list cloggers. There is no way that a list like Brisbane's should be paid within 5% of top teams like Adelaide or GWS this year.

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah, there is a minimum. My thinking is, the bloke that would be getting 250k now will only be offered 150k, to accomodate paying a guy like martin 1.2mil.

The afl is a good social snap shot of how society deals with equality. I.e not very well

Funnily enough with these monster deals, the salary cap might end up hurting the bottom half of players

We need a metaphorical steam-roller to level things out a bit - too many have-nots and too few haves and it's getting worse by the day. In the real world there are now 5 men who collectively own as much as the rest of the people on the planet combined - scary! Sport is certainly going down the same slippery and self-destructive path.

Look, we all like to lure star players, but what about rookies and your average player that gets the job done week in and week out? Football is going down a slippery slope with "celebrity" player salaries like the USA and many other parts of the world - I think it's now (bordering on being) obscene! USA: average CEO paid 303 times more than the average worker - is this where we're headed today in Australia with the corporate world and now on the sporting field? I say, spread the love and spread the $s a little more evenly!

Last edited:
The roos made their offer at the start of the year and were mocked relentlessly.

6 weeks later everyone sees Kelly is a gun and clubs are putting forward offers.

As for SOS, all he has done is picked up all the players GWS had to cut as their list got smaller. Hardly a special talent. And when he was at GWS he had dozens of early picks to llay with. A dart board could have built the GWS list.

Get Kelly and then maybe he is something.

You clearly haven't seen us play very much this year.

You're 15th? Is that a good year?

We're clearly in a far better place now than we have been over the previous few years.

Only time will tell as to whether we develop into a top side again but the signs are good. We're excited by what we're seeing as we should be.

I get that you probably haven't watched much footy this year - it mustn't be easy to watch your Hawks run around now given what you've seen them produce previously, but sometimes you've just got to accept things for what they are.

You either don't have much of a clue or you're trolling. Either way your posts are probably wasted here - reckon you're probably going to be more at home among fellow mental giants on the Bay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back