Preview Carlton vs Richmond, Round 1, MCG, 17 March 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s been a while since Carlton beat Richmond, especially in round 1.

giphy.gif

But if you believe the hype, the Blues are still coming.

download.jpg

The below picture surprises me because there are no spelling mistakes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399033676.206988.jpg
For once, these two teams won't open the season.
Let's delve a little deeper into this round 1 bye...I mean clash.

PERSONELL
Carlton
The Blues will miss Sam Walsh. He's an out and out star.
Good news for all footy fans is that Sam Docherty will play after a battle with testicular cancer. I think we all don't mind seeing him fit and healthy again.
Liam Stocker, Josh Honey and Caleb Marchbank are all nursing injuries in what looks like a pretty healthy list overall.

Richmond
No 9 draft pick Josh Gibcus will debut.
Kane Lambert is likely to miss a large chunk, if not all, of the season while Jack Graham won't be fit for round 1.
Co-skipper Dylan Grimes is making a last ditch bid to be fit while Toby Nankervis has the spicy cough, but gets out of isolation the day before the game and is available.
Nick Vlastuin looks set to miss.

MATCH UPS
If Grimes doesn't come up, it puts a massive weight onto the shoulders of Gibcus who would have to stand one of McKay or Curnow. However, he is recovering quickly from a hand injury and is expected to line up.
Noah Balta has been playing up forward, but he may need to be ready to race back to the defensive 50 if need be.
Trent Cotchin looks like he has a new lease on footy life and Patrick Cripps finally looks to have shaken off all those niggles. Both midfielders could spend a fair chunk of time in each other's presence.

NEW FACES
Carlton has added another overpriced hack back flanker in George Hewett to compliment the other dud half backs in Adam Saad and Zac Williams.
Adam Cerra will slot nicely into the midfield because there is no room on the half back flank.
Michael Voss is the new face of the Carlton Football Club.

images.jpg

As noted earlier, Josh Gibcus will debut for Richmond as will Robbie Tarrant while mastercoach David Teague will debut as a Richmond assistant after leading Carlton to their most successful period in 15 years.

E9dFdprVEAEdkiU.jpg

WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
David King: "I think Richmond will make a statement on Thursday. Carlton turned the ball over 95 times against Melbourne, who are finding their way back into it. "If they turn it over 95 times against the Tigers, they'll lose by 15 goals. No one punishes like Richmond."

download (1).jpg

WHO WINS?
According to Carlton fans, the wait is finally over.
And to be fair, there is reason for at least some form optimism at Paper Bag Oval.
David King to be the prophet: Richmond by 90 points.

Last edited:
oh well we are farked …. Brenton Sanderson just said on SEN That he can’t see one weakness in Carlton lineup…. And will win because The great coach Vossy has them purring …. 🙄🙄😂😂

Last edited:
Be a shame if Balta has to play back tonight , I am really keen to see how the 4 tall forward set up goes. I know at times Soldo and Nank will spend time on the pine but Soldo IMO is pretty handy in that front half. Huge body crashes packs and can take the F50 ruck contests allowing Lynch and Balta to set up dangerously.

Almost have to tread Jack as a HFF this year if we roll with that set up. On paper it is dangerous you would assume Lynch gets the best defender then given Soldo's size makes it hard to prioritise do they match up with Balta or Jack before him and not to mention Dusty who usually gets the 2nd best defender when he goes forward now will probably get the 4th. On paper it sounds very enticing but will it work? In the past I think going to tall can back fire but with the new rule changes I like this set up and hope we give it time.

If you chuck a fit Vlastin in our back half it limits the need for Balta to go back, we have shown before Vlas and Grimes can play tall same as Broad. Taz will be awesome and crucial to how it pans out and if Gibcus goes ok well it really sets us up to have a lot of intercepting defenders whilst keeping our tall advantage down the ground.

Who am I to question the MC but JGraham on the back of no minutes played in practice matches and Hugo not making the cut is not something I would’ve gone with.

We need to reward strong preseasons and Hugo absolutely deserves a run for mine
It’s got late out written all over it

Be a shame if Balta has to play back tonight , I am really keen to see how the 4 tall forward set up goes. I know at times Soldo and Nank will spend time on the pine but Soldo IMO is pretty handy in that front half. Huge body crashes packs and can take the F50 ruck contests allowing Lynch and Balta to set up dangerously.

Almost have to tread Jack as a HFF this year if we roll with that set up. On paper it is dangerous you would assume Lynch gets the best defender then given Soldo's size makes it hard to prioritise do they match up with Balta or Jack before him and not to mention Dusty who usually gets the 2nd best defender when he goes forward now will probably get the 4th. On paper it sounds very enticing but will it work? In the past I think going to tall can back fire but with the new rule changes I like this set up and hope we give it time.

If you chuck a fit Vlastin in our back half it limits the need for Balta to go back, we have shown before Vlas and Grimes can play tall same as Broad. Taz will be awesome and crucial to how it pans out and if Gibcus goes ok well it really sets us up to have a lot of intercepting defenders whilst keeping our tall advantage down the ground.

Why would he play back?

Surely he will play on Cripps. Who else can match him for height and reach?

If he kicks the odd goal on Cripps so be it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Classic Magic! Balta is now a mid.

Balta is wherever we need him.

If we are serious about having a crack at the premiership we need to start making advanced plays now to give our teams maximum impact.

Can't see Cripps going with Balta honestly
How would Cripps handle a big athletic body like Balta? Would not be used to it in the middle thats for sure.
Then Balta explodes forward and unleashes his big long kick, boom there goes Carltons hopes

I am not saying Balta should be in the guts all the time, but against Cripps in theory it could work. At least he would have a great chance to negate him match up wise at minimum, anything extra becomes a bonus. Gives some breathing space for Dusty and co to.

Probably would not put Balta on Petracca but with Cripps it could be a big win for us. I think Balta is shorter than Cripps but looks like he has a superior leap

Last edited:
Don’t know why anyone bothers taking any notice of the selected positions, Baker would be the shortest CHF in history!
Just look at the twenty two names and wait for where they actually line up.

Soldo can jump and its gonna be like 10 pin bowling when soldo comes from 3 deep and crashes the pack and the carlton backs are crumbling to the ground. Just as well theres a fence round the boundry cause thats as far as the carlton backs can roll after being crashed.
Footys back and tiger town is alive.
Ivan Soldo is 204cm he doesnt need to jump up , Just jump into the back of defenders and crush them

oh well we are farked …. Brenton Sanderson just said on SEN That he can’t see one weakness in Carlton lineup…. And will win because The great coach Vossy has them purring …. 🙄🙄😂😂
And Brenton Sanderson would know too after such a successful coaching career he had

A513FEF8-0300-4AB1-8650-2F51F1FD18E9.jpeg

Another AFL season. Tonight will be my first time watching any football since last years AFL grand final.

It feels weird that we’ve already begun a new season.

Haven’t followed us at all during the pre-season, so have no idea what to expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back