List Mgmt. Carlton's 2019 Draft Thread

RoyalParade

Cancelled
Feb 19, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
I really like Bergman, but if you're talking about pick 9 for him, I feel like there may be better options. If we're trading back later in the draft, then he may become a viable option. In the BF draft I had the ability to secure Ash, not sure I would take Bergman over him.

I really like Cahill, I selected him in the BF mock draft a few months ago, nothing has really changed. I am rolling the dice a little in this mock draft and going for other options hoping he will slide a heap. Thinking with the potential of Betts and Martin on our list and maybe still aiming for Paps next year, a small forward is not super high on our list of options.

I would love to boost some of our rebounding defenders and inside midfielders with a slight eye on one late round ruck option.
Thanks LM, appreciate it.

I wasn't thinking Bergman for pick 9, but was thinking all the noise around him going top 15, he may be in contention if we do swap picks.

Cheers

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
I suggest everyone download AFL Draft Central's free Draft Guide

Has some great info, including
  • Detailed profiles on the top 30 prospects
  • Profiles on every kid at the national combine
  • Profiles on every kid from the state combines
  • But wait, there's more...
  • Some extra profiles - coz you can never have enough profiles!
  • Profiles on top 18 AFLW recruits
  • A free set of steak knives - I haven't seen any, but it wouldn't surprise me
You need to enter your email to download the file. But these peeps have made an outstanding effort collating all the info. And I think it's worth handing over your interwebz electronic mail address for it. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
From my viewing, 2 players who i have put in my "don't want" basket are Jack Mahony and Darcy Casser.

The one who has me flumoxed a bit is Harrison Jones. He can play and has the ability/potential quotient, but by god he is ultra thin. Jack Gunston or Jarryd Grant....i just don't know. He looks more Gunston smooth, but damn he's thin for 195cm.

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
From my viewing, 2 players who i have put in my "don't want" basket are Jack Mahony and Darcy Casser.

The one who has me flumoxed a bit is Harrison Jones. He can play and has the ability/potential quotient, but by god he is ultra thin. Jack Gunston or Jarryd Grant....i just don't know. He looks more Gunston smooth, but damn he's thin for 195cm.

I watched Jones live and he stood out like Dogs balls to me. While he does not have the high production, everything he does screams AFL to me.

He obviously has to work on body size and increased output, but he has many AFL tools. Clean hands, great marking, intelligent delivery into the forward line.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I watched Jones live and he stood out like Dogs balls to me. While he does not have the high production, everything he does screams AFL to me.

He obviously has to work on body size and increased output, but he has many AFL tools. Clean hands, great marking, intelligent delivery into the forward line.

Yeah. He can play. Got easy seperation on the lead a few times too. I suppose how high he eventually goes on draft night will be how the experts think he can build up a little. At KPF height, it's pretty much a must.

If he's got the genetic ability to build strength, not necessarily bulk, he's got backend 1st/2nd rd potential for sure. But he's a real piece of spaghetti at the moment.

I suggest everyone download AFL Draft Central's free Draft Guide

Has some great info, including
  • Detailed profiles on the top 30 prospects
  • Profiles on every kid at the national combine
  • Profiles on every kid from the state combines
  • But wait, there's more...
  • Some extra profiles - coz you can never have enough profiles!
  • Profiles on top 18 AFLW recruits
  • A free set of steak knives - I haven't seen any, but it wouldn't surprise me
You need to enter your email to download the file. But these peeps have made an outstanding effort collating all the info. And I think it's worth handing over your interwebz electronic mail address for it. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
not sure why they need my banking details but ferris says give them a run so...........

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Great effort on the ^^^
You may have been through this somewhere else but what’s your thoughts on D. Williams?
Also, would there be enough quality around to swing our 2020 1st for BL’s #16 & 21 along with #9 for GC’s #15 & 20?
Kemp or Jackson if real sliders?
Or D.Williams, C.Stephens, SDK, K.Pickett (or another rated small forward) with Brock Smith @ #43?
Fair haul of forwards, mid, defenders but development paths to be tread.

The last thing we need right now is to wipe out our trade hand next year to load up another 4-5 draftees in the 10-20 range.

ray8182

All Australian
Sep 11, 2008
Echuca
AFL Club
Carlton

I had read plenty about what a good prospect mahony would be later on in the draft.
Watched some NAB league highlights of Mahoney and was left very underwhelmed.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Freo is a complex one as they are also looking to draft Henry from their academy, so may be hesitant to trade pick 10 until the death, in case Melbourne bid for him at #8, which is highly possible. They may take the lower risk option and select Jackson at #7, then still have #11 available to match Melbourne's bid. If nobody bids for Henry, then they're in a stronger position to use points to secure him, so can keep pick 11 anyway.
If Melbourne are likely to bid on Henry with pick 8, why wouldn't we target Fremantle's pick 10 in exchange for our future first (maybe some shuffling of later picks too)?
Any club that bids on Henry with a Top 10 Pick will be guaranteed to own him. While he's quite a good prospect, he's not Top 10 material. I think people need to take their small forward blinkers off.

The thing that surprises me is that we would be after so many picks this year? Do you know much more on our thoughts on why we are looking at this outside of next year being a compromised draft?I always believed this year and next we were keener to trade our picks away to bring in the experienced talent to finish our list rather than going to the draft to build organically still. The reality is that we're talking 4 years before these draftees are significantly contributing and will have broken into the 22 so just seems inconsistent with messaging from the club. I can see us taking 1 or 2 quality players and some project players for needs but would be really surprised if we traded away picks from next year that we'll need to bring experienced players in with.
The third scenario - pick #9 & future 2nd to Geelong > picks #14 & #17 to Carlton - would be the best result for us...not sure if we'd want to trade our future first if there is the potential to trade for Papley or Wines next year. That gives them #9 and #24, and be in a great position to get Jackson...or if Freo pick him at #7, still gives them access to a top 10 pick.
I think people need to get their heads around the bigger picture for this year and next.
  1. Potentially 13 of the Top 30 picks in the 2020 Draft will be Father/Son, NGA or Northern State Academy selections.
  2. Pick 5 could end up being Pick 8, or Pick 10 could end up being 16, so in a trade sense, how much currency do you really think a 2020 mid 1st Rounder will actually hold???
  3. There will be 10-12 clubs aiming to reduce their exposure to next years draft and looking to top up through Free Agency and OOC players. The increased competition for these players will drive their price up both in terms of salary and the draft selections required to obtain them. If you thought West Coast and St.Kilda paid through the nose for Kelly and Hill, or that Essendon, Sydney and GCS wanted way overs for Daniher, Papley & Martin, then you better brace yourselves as they'll all be like this next year. Do you really want to be forking out $800k/yr for 4 years to a Jack Martin-type player or pay two Top 10 Picks for Papley???
  4. Forget Papley Bamboo Harvester, that boat has sailed IMO. If Pick 9 in a relatively uncompromised draft couldn't get a deal done then I don't know why people think a similar pick in a heavily compromised 2020 draft will.
Great work - Love it!
But, just a quick question - do we have the list space for all of these draft acquisitions?
Out: Pickett, Garlett, Kerr, Phillips, Lobbe, Schumacher, LeBois, Deluca, Fasolo, Thomas
Ten in total, but one could be offset given that Cottrell was brought in for Docherty.​
I would've loved to have seen SOS delist Polson and then bring him back as a Rookie given he already has a contract for next year. Although I suspect that boat may have sailed now. While Jimmae is a bit more knowledgeable in this area than me there are a couple of other clubs that have done this.​
In: Pittonet, Betts, Newnes.
(Martin isn't ours yet)​
So in answer to your question - Yes.

Amazing post The Smoking Gun. Small point: if you’re really wanting to fix transition from defence then PRAY Ash is available and we snap him up immediately. It’s him first and daylight second, third and fourth for speed of transition out of the backline in this draft. The other players you mentioned won’t really help it much. Whereas Ash will transform it.
I've had Ash in around my Top 5 all year so expecting him to be there at Pick 9 or 10 isn't realistic IMO. I don't have an issue with Bianco or Dylan Stephens. They're more than solid enough prospects and should be realistically available at the selections I've taken them with.

I don't think there's a situation, however, where GWS lose their Pick 6 in meeting a bid for Green. They either Pick swap with Melbourne or Adelaide, or if they believe a deal won't get done for Pick 6 they'll try trade out of the first round into next years 1st round and try and accumulate points for Green, maybe with a pick swap of some sorts
  • I watched Tom Green almost single-handedly carry the Allies over the line against a very strong Vic Metro midfield that contained Rowell, Anderson & Maginness. Green was comfortably BOG. Rowell & Anderson have decimated & dominated at NAB League level, but up against the best of the best at the U18 Nationals both Green and Robertson had their measure. IMO Green is the best prospect in this years National Draft, while Robertson is the most under-rated.
  • I can't see anyone entering into a Pick Swap with GWS. They will simply finish too high up the ladder and in a heavily compromised 2020 Draft where Pick 17 could end up being Pick 30, I'm struggling to see how it would make any sense. GWS are not Geelong where I see the potential to slide.
  • GWS have already used Picks 12 & 18 to get themselves up to Pick 6 and they do not have the currency available (in either current or future picks) to make it worthwhile for Melbourne or Adelaide to enter into a trade. (see point 2).
I have a different view on the other two players you have selected with 17 & 22, for myself I'd be going for some forwards who we have none of coming through except Owies who is a catB rookie and did show some good signs in the back half of last year, DylanWilliams ElijahTaylor KossiePickett are the kids i like for these selections.
Of the 3 kids you mentioned the only one I seriously looked at with Pick 22 was Elijah Taylor. Couldn't go with Dylan Williams as stress fractures of the back and young bodies are not a good mix and is a red flag for me. Lastly, I'm not a Pickett fan.

Based on how the BF phantom draft is going, I will update how I would have drafted given the players that are missing.

1 - Gold Coast - Matt Rowell
2 - Gold Coast -Noah Anderson
3 - Melbourne - Hayden Young
4 - GWS - Tom Green (matched bid)
5 - Adelaide - Sam Flanders
6 - Sydney - Luke Jackson
7 - Fremantle - Dylan Stephens
8 - Melbourne - Caleb Serong
10 Fremantle - Deven Robertson
9 - Carlton - Lachlan Ash
11 Hawthorn - Brodie Kemp
12 Port Adelaide - Fischer McAsey
13 Western Bulldogs - Cody Weightman
14 Fremantle - Liam Henry (Matched Bid)
15 Hawthorn - Finn Maginness (Matched Bid)
16 Geelong - Miles Bergman
17 Gold Coast Suns - Will Gould
18 Brisbane - Trent Rivers
19 Geelong - Cooper Stephens

20 Port Adelaide - Josh Worrell
21 Richmond - Will Day
22 Gold Coast - Trent Bianco

Our Draft Selections
Pick 10 - Ash - I would still select Ash, assuming Fremantle pick Robertson.
Pick 17 - Rivers - I would have picked Rivers here as I feel like he can also play forward
Pick 22 - Elijah Taylor - Small forward with massive amount of upside.
( I would not complain if someone wanted or preferred Dylan Williams.)
Pick 43
Pick 57
Cheers LemmingMaster. As you gathered the post was designed to get people to look past Pick 9 and see what tools SOS could potentially use to give us greater exposure to the top end of the Draft. I also wanted people to explore other options other than just small forwards. Glad it piqued your interest.

My post was already a bit of a stretch having SOS pulling off a both an optimum Trade and Pick Swap. I felt that expecting Ash to slide all the way out to Pick 10 was probably just one stretch too far if the post was to maintain at least some credibility. I do think there may be a faint chance of Rivers making it to Pick 19 as he hasn't been given the exposure to senior footy that other kids such as Sharp have. As stated in my previous post, I looked very hard at Elijah Taylor with Pick 22. Will probably end up McGovern size when he's finished growing which would make him a somewhat unique and tantalising prospect.

Just as you like Trey Ruscoe, I've been big on Cooper Stephens all year as you know. Do we really need another inside mid??? Probably not, but he is explosive and I can't just jump off the bandwagon now!!!

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
I felt that expecting Ash to slide all the way out to Pick 10 was probably just one stretch too far if the post was to maintain at least some credibility.
Let's assume both Stephens and Ash are gone before pick 10.

Rowell, Anderson, Young, Ash, Green, Flanders, Kemp, Serong... They're highly likely to be off the board before our pick.

It does leave us in an interesting position about who to select. I would personally be considering a Maginnes bid, Henry bid.... Then you can also include Robertson, Rivers, Gould... Or so we select a Bergman, Weightman styled player?

Not sure if one of those 8 names above does not slip to our selection, I would almost prefer to drift in the order.

I did think in the BF mock draft that getting my hands on Ash was a nice little surprise, but maybe people are worried about the fact he is more a rebounding defender than a midfielder/KPP.

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

Rowell, Anderson, Young, Ash, Green, Flanders, Kemp, Serong... They're highly likely to be off the board before our pick.

It does leave us in an interesting position about who to select. I would personally be considering a Maginnes bid, Henry bid.... Then you can also include Robertson, Rivers, Gould... Or so we select a Bergman, Weightman styled player?

Not sure if one of those 8 names above does not slip to our selection, I would almost prefer to drift in the order.

I did think in the BF mock draft that getting my hands on Ash was a nice little surprise, but maybe people are worried about the fact he is more a rebounding defender than a midfielder/KPP.
Jackson seems certain to be gone too mate.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
My 2c on Ash.

I don't rate him super high. I'd have him late 1st Rd at best in last years draft. Reckon Jordan Clark as a similar type has him covered. I think he's pretty much a running h/b only. I envision him as being pretty close to Zac Jones with a bit more composure and delivery(not that hard).

But in saying that, i wouldn't be overly disappointed with him at 9 if we keep that on the night in this draft. We could do with some pace, we could do with some transition, we could do with some quicker entry.

I would take a few others though. I'm happy with our h/b talent and coverage not to jump at another one with a Top 10 pick.

GT619

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

kemp will still be there but I’m with u it’s ash and Stephens I want but most likely gone

Back