Review Carlton's NAB Cup - Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

wablues own Kane Lucas thankyou

I'm guessing this also applies to the likes of Army, Ellard, Yazza etc yes?
The way we're going with WA recruits half our team might end up being wablues own ;)

Plenty of good signs. Duigan looks really good. Ellard looks good but his kicking is still poor. Watson will be a good player. The forward line structure needs improving but there are players out so it's not all bad there. Cachia did well but i don't know if he's ready yet. Good aggression on the man. Laidler looks alright.

A few things we did poorly was:
1. Blocking the opposition forward run. Collingwood are really good at stopping opposition players carrying the ball forwards with good anticipation and positioning and a desire to lay body contact and we are not. We have pretty poor anticipation of where the opposition are going to run. Like when an opponent marks and some one runs to receive our guys tended to stand the mark and not anticipate the runner to get it and not position to block his run.

2. Long kicks into the forward line were too close to the goal face. Long kicks need to be 15-20 meters from the goal face and not 10 or 8 meters like we go. Kicking too close to the goal face stops our forwards getting a run at it and lets the opposition force it through.

3. Tackling was good but the shepherding, bumping and blocking was hardly there. We lost to many 2 on 1 contests because players don't know when to go the man and shepherd and let the other guy through. We are really poor at taking opposition players out of the contest with a good bump like Cachia on Nason. Simple things like getting in the way of opponents running forward and stopping them or bumping guys to ground to put the contest in our favor aren't in our game yet. Collingwood did well to use their bodies to take players out of the contests and we didn't.

I know it's preseason but these things have to be addressed. You can't do well if you let the opposition run forward with the ball easily. I'm hoping in the season proper to see opposition players getting stopped in their tracks more. Defenders also need to do better at getting off their man and creating run.

We need to lay more shepherds, bumps and block to allow run. This looks to still be our biggest weakness, we are all chasing possessions and not doing anything to take players out of the contest. But lets wait till the proper season.

The problem is that the kid was in his first year, every kid no matter which team deserves at least three seasons to be judged. Just pissed me off that so called Carlton fans were abusing a kid who had a pretty tough road to get to the AFL.

Yes he makes mistakes, but everyone does, I still think he is a class above and for one am glad he is playing for us.

Whether he is in his first year or his tenth year, posters should be encouraged to talk about him. Fairly criticising a players performance is perfectly aceptable to me, but there is a line and that line was crossed ocassionally with Yarran.

Just a few random observations:

Kane Lucas will be a star.

Shaun Hampson no football brain- no idea on as far as tap work is concerned. Consistently tapped to Collingwood players. If Collingwood had Hampson in its system, he would be a much better player already. Player development still an issue.

Setanta still looks like a fish out of water.

Mitch Robinson needs to desperately work on his kicking.

New boys

Loved Watson and Laidler. They're in our strongest 22.

Our defence will be different with them - and Bower and Gibbs much more dangerous now that we can play them in their best positions.

Really looking forward to see Andy Collins now.

New positions

Liked Walker forward

Liked Yarran off half back

Excited and looking forward to round 1.

If you think that Yarran had it hard on here, do a search and dig up the threads on Russell.
Shaun Hampson no football brain- no idea on as far as tap work is concerned. Consistently tapped to Collingwood players. If Collingwood had Hampson in its system, he would be a much better player already. Player development still an issue.
Hampson was tapping to a losing and undermanned midfield.

Josh Fraser and Cameron Wood weren't first 22 with Jolly and Brown winning a flag.

Ruck myth busted.

Love the over the top reviews after watching the Collingwood game again.

Hampson marked on the lead and then weighted a long pass over the defenders.

Walker should have scored a goal from that inside 50.

Bryce "Dal Santo" Gibbs went in hard and shirtfronted Beams to clear a path for his teammates.

Casboult was getting to the drop of the ball, but wasn't holding his marks. At times, Henderson was like that early in his first season with Carlton. I'd me more worried about Wood who was in front of Casboult, but didn't get any body on his opponent as a long ball was kicked to the top of the square.

Harry "What Carlton needs" O'Brien kicked in to a three on one. Then appeared to misjudge it or pull out after it came back with interest to nearly land in Betts' lap. O'Brien is one of the loosest AA defenders I've seen. Christou was a rebounder too, but played tighter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some interesting observations here.
Commenting on only the new faces:

1. Duigan: Has exactly what Carlton needed coming out of defense. He has a good spoil on him, will run the ground and deliver nicely into the forward line. I can't see any reason why he won't start round 1.

2. Curnow: I liked what I saw from the limited game time given. Looks a serious proposition and will certainly be a promoted rookie

3. Laidler: Showed quite a bit, and will be pushing for selection but I do feel we have largely forgotten about White just for now who I would have in front of Laidler even at this point in time.

4. Twomey: Played a fair game, but wouldn't get hopes up too high for him just yet.

5. Carter: Not likely

6. McInnes: Too early to suggest much just yet.

7. Tuohy: Has some great attributes, but will need a great start with The Ants to give himself a show for this year.

8. Watson: Enough strength there to suggest that games are possible this year already. It's also nice to have a line breaking 60 mt. kick on you. That won't be missed by our selectors , one would think.

9. Casboult: Not this year either.

10. Cachia: Just not sure where the possibilities are for him. Could easily go either way

11. It would have been all the better had we had Mitchell and McCarthy in the mix on Saturday night.

General observation:
There is some great promise for our backline, going forward.
It may not happen this year but a possibility of a half back line of: Yarran Watson Duigan, gives us a new dimension coming out of defense which may be needed against "zoning" teams.
Throw Murphy, Judd and Gibbs in the mix of getting the ball from these boys and things start looking interesting as our backline has been somewhat too stagnant in recent years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back