Autopsy Cats lose 4th straight to GWS by 4 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The kids were good. The old players have fallen off the cliff. Together.
Some kids were good, and have been good.

Holmes has been our standout in a lot of games. Would be a good shout for Carji at this point.

Bruhn is showing signs he can become a very good player but his output is decent without excelling.

To coin a Brendon Bolton term Jhye Clark shows green shoots.

Conway has shown enough glimpses and intensity that he is the future over Stanley.

Dempsey imo has fallen away in recent weeks.

O.Henry whilst often quiet while kicking a couple has looked especially quiet the last period of time.

On the flip side I think SDK is playing very inconsistent and timid footy at times. Mullin doesn't do enough atm for mine and nor does Neale. All have time on their hands of course.

From the older players Cameron looked like he did last year back from concussion. Out of sorts.

Duncan is missing too many kicks that he'd execute on autopilot for the last 10 years.

Hawkins was the best tall forward tonight. Pretty much at the end. The one old bloke I hope they don't retire mid season. He's hardly getting pushed out by Neale on recent form imo.

Made the call on Bews.
Possibly have done so on Stanley.
Would be open to them doing the same on Rohan.
Stewart looks a step off his usual form and definitely fallible.

Can't get a good read on Blicavs. Structurally important but disposal has seemingly worsened and isn't taking as many contested marks as previously.

Atkins is replaceable. Hardness and intensity is his one wood but has very little else on offer.

Thought Tuohy was the best of the oldies tonight. Was solid.

What I'd like during the pre to post bye six week period is Mannagh and Hardie get tried. Not fussed if some on here think Hardie is vanilla and has no AFL attributes. We need to test that out at the level imo. Knevitt, COS and Humphries should be looked at also.

Last quarter was excellent. Leaving Parfitt out against such a good midfield was mind-boggling.

Cameron and Stewart were virtually unsighted.

Clark, Bruhn, Conway, Atkins, Stengle and Clark all good. Zach Guthrie was absolutely solid - should be captain.

Bowes played well when he came on.

Mullin a bit down and got really unlucky with that last goal. Close played pretty well.

Blicavs played fairly well. Tuohy turned back the clock a bit, but not quite enough to get us over the line.

SdK was shocking for 95% of the game.

Hawkins got absolutely shafted by the umpires again - defenders can do what they like to him.

Oliver Henry needs to do more in the forward line. He's not just there to kick goals and look good. He needs to be accountable for a defender.

Lucky for us Coniglio came off because if he played out the game we may not have gotten close.

Give me Hardie and Parfitt next week.

On to next week with a feast on the Tigers
Totally 100% right re Ollie Henry and accountability.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

Surely after 4 losses in a row it's a reality check for the football dept.
They said they weren't perfect in that 7-0 run, I think they got smug from there and now could well miss the 8. Bank on our reliable defence and fwds but lose sight on how important midfield clearances are ?

Had the binoculars on the stoppages tonight.

We are crying out for some class there. Atkins is still so hard at it but he lacks the class to be the senior guy in there. If a fit Danger/Guthrie were an option he'd be so so valuable as icing on the cake. Right now it is just too much for him, but he surely keeps putting in

Some kids were good, and have been good.

Holmes has been our standout in a lot of games. Would be a good shout for Carji at this point.

Bruhn is showing signs he can become a very good player but his output is decent without excelling.

To coin a Brendon Bolton term Jhye Clark shows green shoots.

Conway has shown enough glimpses and intensity that he is the future over Stanley.

Dempsey imo has fallen away in recent weeks.

O.Henry whilst often quiet while kicking a couple has looked especially quiet the last period of time.

On the fluid side I think SDK is playing very inconsistent and timid footy at times. Mullin doesn't do enough atm for mine and nor does Neale. All have time on their hands of course.

From the older players Cameron looked like he did last year back from concussion. Out of sorts.

Duncan is missing too many kicks that he'd execute on autopilot for the last 10 years.

Hawkins was the best tall forward tonight. Pretty much at the end. The one old bloke I hope they don't retire mid season. He's hardly getting pushed out by Neale on recent form imo.

Made the call on Bews.
Possibly have done so on Stanley.
Would be open to them doing the same on Rohan.
Stewart looks a step off his usual form and definitely fallible.

Can't get a good read on Blicavs. Structurally important but disposal has seemingly worsened and isn't taking as many contested marks as previously.

Atkins is replaceable. Hardness and intensity is his one wood but has very little else on offer.

Thought Tuohy was the best of the oldies tonight. Was solid.

What I'd like during the pre to post bye six week period is Mannagh and Hardie get tried. Not fussed if some on here think Hardie is vanilla and has no AFL attributes. We need to test that out at the level imo. Knevitt, COS and Humphries should be looked at also.

Agree pretty much on all of this. Which is unusual for you and I 😉

Definitely need to start to at least try the likes of Hardie, Mannagh, Humphries, O’Sullivan. We aren’t challenging this year. Use it to get games into some kids whilst we have the champions still in the changing rooms. Pretty obvious now it’s the last seasons for Hawkins, Duncan, Stanley and Tuohy. It could even be for Dangerfield and C.Guthrie if they re-injure themselves much more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely after 4 losses in a row it's a reality check for the football dept.
They said they weren't perfect in that 7-0 run, I think they got smug from there and now could well miss the 8. Bank on our reliable defence and fwds but lose sight on how important midfield clearances are ?

I dont think we are being arrogant we just lack midfield cattle without dangerfield and guthrie below his best.
That said they have been stubborn about not trying hardie and should.

IT aint working.

Lost by 8, 6, 64 and 4.

First time since 2006 we've dropped 4 in a row.

Cant go to sleep for a 1/4 and expect to make it happen in the end.

Jezza is a shell of himself.
Tomma too.
Duncan's best is behind him.

We have some really good kids coming thru.

Bruhn, Atkins, Stengle, Clark all really good. Conway too - nice back to back games from him.

Bowes good whence he came on. Zuthrie solid too for sure.

2E started ok then disappeared

Stewy, SDK, Jack Henry all inconsistent. Blitz too. Miers up and down - mostly down of late.

The cohesion and team stuff ebbs and flows and you cant have that in the AFL today.

Midfield still getting lessons the hard way.

GO Catters

Stengle is our best player

Subbing out Conway cost us the game

Conway probably ran out of juice and left us no choice.
Picking neale is more what cost us the game but mainly our poor ball use.

IT aint working.

Lost by 8, 6, 64 and 4.

First time since 2006 we've dropped 4 in a row.

Cant go to sleep for a 1/4 and expect to make it happen in the end.

Jezza is a shell of himself.
Tomma too.
Duncan's best is behind him.

We have some really good kids coming thru.

Bruhn, Atkins, Stengle, Clark all really good. Conway too - nice back to back games from him.

Bowes good whence he came on. Zuthrie solid too for sure.

2E started ok then disappeared

Stewy, SDK, Jack Henry all inconsistent. Blitz too. Miers up and down - mostly down of late.

The cohesion and team stuff ebbs and flows and you cant have that in the AFL today.

Midfield still getting lessons the hard way.

GO Catters
Conway???

First of all congratulations to the GWS Giants, they have pansted us x 4 at the Cattery now and it's no fluke; they are a good club with some serious footballers.

I recall one vocal BF poster rubbishing Toby Greene's credentials a few years ago; he has consistently torched us for years now and has to be considered a top 5 player in the comp.

While tonight's loss was a bitter pill to swallow, it was in no way unexpected, despite having the home ground advantage and Tom Hawkins' big milestone as incentive.

I actually took plenty of positives away from this match after prior acceptance of the realities of this year's model Cats.

Tom Hawkins himself fought hard and showed some signs of his better form. He's had an admirable career and will forever be an all-time Great Geelong person.

The game was lost in the 2nd quarter, but truth be told the Giants looked a bit hungrier, a bit better organised, with a bit more to give all night.

Our 2nd half was heartening.

Shannon Neale has shown a bit this year; he might be more Cam Mooney than Tom Hawkins going forward; more raw-boned, less polish and nous. His hands are a bit hit-and-miss at this stage, but he took his run in the ruck seriously, linked up adequately at times and most encouragingly he kicks really well. Oddly enough I thought the best sign he showed all night was not giving away a sloppy free kick in a centre bounce contest in the 3rd quarter; a clumsier player would have taken a swipe but he reigned himself in and showed discipline. I hope he sticks around for 2025; suspect the competition will know whether or not he is a serious player by 2026.

Toby Conway was subbed off and again he may well split opinions as to his effectiveness, but overall he made a positive contribution.
He has an odd looseness to his game; his brain seems to work a quantum second before his limbs kick into action; he's a little like an adolescent giraffe at this stage. But the talent and the smarts are definitely there.
I am really content to see him invested in over the next few years and I am ride-or-die with Conway, no mistake.

The one we really need to build around moving forward is Max Holmes.

He was terrific tonight; sure he could 'button down' some of his disposal at times, but you take the good with the bad sometimes; his 2nd quarter bomb from 55m was effortless; Peter Matera-like.

He showed some desperation and some leadership.

I've seen debate as to Jhye Clark's contributions in 2024 on this board to date; I for one could not be happier with his progress; he was great tonight; his tackling is brutally effective.

Clark's boot reminds me a bit of Sam Menegola's; a bit all-or-nothing at this stage.
He thumps the ball low and fast with either foot; it has the potential to be a weapon.

Zac Tuohy has rallied to produce some decent 2024 form; if fit he is still unquestionably best 22, even if he is not the player he was at his peak.

4 losses on the trot is new territory for the modern Cats, but I for one am not writing the season off just yet, despite some glaring issues.

It's a long season; qualify for the Finals and clubs like the '97-98 Crows and the 2016 Bulldogs have demonstrated that it is possible to hit upon rich vein of form deep into an otherwise uneven season.

Time to drop Dempsey as well, he is a non factor at the moment.

Bring in Mannagh or heck it maybe even give Willis a crack.

Dempsey is best 22 but needs a rest and is due.
Mannagh must come in.

We were dominating clearances when Conway was subbed out. He looked pretty pissed off when he was subbed, I reckon he is very competitive and would have had 10 more minutes in him.

After he went off Briggs took over again.

I get the frustration, but damn there's some sooks around these spots

Were clearly a team in transition, trying to put ourselves into positions to win now while also keeping an eye on the future & rebuilding on the run

Pretty sure that prior to the start of the season that not many had us 7-0, instead many of our own supporters had us finishing outside the 8 and games like we've seen the last month

Maybe the last 17/18 years of continued success have spoiled us & what we expect this team will achieve year in & season out - but that's not always going to be the case

From our 4 losses, we've put ourselves in winning positions in 3 of them and with a bounce of the ball this way, squeezing it past a finger nail a fraction quicker or a veteran not fumbling directly to an opposition, and maybe we reverse results from a couple of these matches

No one likes losing, but look for the positives and the greater picture - 2024 may not be our year, but getting games into next generation may be the making of future years

Plus, we're not North Melbourne

Thats all true but its still not acceptable when you consider the premier this year will be an average team because the league standard is crap. We are missing an opportunity.

The pressure or lack of pressure in the second quarter was the worst all year. Far below afl standard. How do you have such a huge drop off? Our tackles are weak. Just slam them. Go back to the old style. It’s like we’re scared to tackle because we’ll give away the free kick. Well guess what, we’re getting reamed by the umps every game anyway so just tackle hard, if it’s a free kick so be it. Soft finger tip ‘tackles’ don’t cut it.

I actually thought Neale was one of the reasons we got back into the game in the 3rd quarter. He gave us an avenue to get into forward half when we were getting flogged.

His last qtr and a half was good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back