Autopsy Cats lose 4th straight to GWS by 4 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

My only negative with his game tonight was him not having a shot in the last 5 minutes and trying to pass to Henry.
Shouldn't have been handpassed to him in the first place.

He got a few out the back to set up shots on goal but he is so uncompetitive in contested situations and his ruck craft is laughable.

Yes he’s athletic, but he’s also soft as butter in contested situations. He rarely takes a contested mark or at worst splits a contest and brings it to ground.
He did take a pack mark, from which he kicked a goal, the only of our key forwards to do so tonight.

Real talk: season is done. We’ve been worked out and I’m at peace with it now. Midfield clearly not up to it and the coach did admirably to paper over the cracks for seven weeks but now that won’t hold up any longer. The backline too, when exposed to as much easy ball as it has been, is ordinary. Only Z.Guthrie could say he’s playing to potential this year. Others have all been woeful.

My interest for the rest of the year is how Conway (lacks a tank but great signs for the future), Neale (get rid of those silly dropped chest marks and there’s something to work with), Clark (great competitor, build a tank and get involved for longer), Bruhn (see Clark), and Mullin (great competitor, neat skills and one of the quickest players in the AFL) fare for the rest of the year. I’d like to see Mannagh play most of the rest of the games this year. Hopefully Lawson gets a debut and a few games and hopefully O’Sullivan a few more games. No one else in the VFL excites or would make a difference. Perhaps Clohesy?

And the end is nigh for several now. Hawkins was better tonight but is battling against the top line key backs. Duncan was good early but that missed kick late was really costly. Tuohy battled hard but hasn’t done that twice in a row this year and is not the same player he was. Those three should go at season’s end. Blicavs played his best game in a while tonight but may also be heading south.

The core of good to very good 20-something players is strong enough that with some good drafting and trading we won’t be far off for long. But any likelihood of success in 2024/25 and maybe 2026 is now remote and I’ll turn to how individuals develop.
I don't think things are anywhere near as bad as what many believe. We have a lot of players carrying injuries and havnt helped ourselves with some headshaking decisions on the selection table.

We get Danger back, Hawkins works himself into form and Guthrie becomes a useful member of the midfield again. I know its a lot but after 2022 anything can happen. Our kids look better with the harder bodies, out backline starts to look better with more pressure on the ball carrier.

the 2023 version was similar or worse; maybe the 22 version was the outlier- time will tell.
He has the size of Tarzan.. plays like Jane… as the old saying goes

Too frequently he lacks physicality or a body in contests. He seems to play with a degree of contact avoidance.

It is unacceptable how often players 8-10cm shorter than him are out marking him in contests

I think Hawkins, Duncan, Stanley, Tuohy, Rohan and Bews will retire at the end of the year. That's a lot of quality players and experience. It's the end of an era in a way. Hawkins and Duncan have been champions and Zach Tuohy, Rohan and Stanley were great recruits. Bews has had a solid career. Tuohy will also be remembered as one of the greatest Irish AFL players.

Blicavs and Dangerfield will be hot on their tails but I think the club will encourage them to stick around for 2025.

I don't think things are anywhere near as bad as what many believe. We have a lot of players carrying injuries and havnt helped ourselves with some headshaking decisions on the selection table.

We get Danger back, Hawkins works himself into form and Guthrie becomes a useful member of the midfield again. I know its a lot but after 2022 anything can happen. Our kids look better with the harder bodies, out backline starts to look better with more pressure on the ball carrier.
Agree. I’m far from despairing. I think we will finish 7th or 8th. That’s not deplorable but I’m at peace with us not contending.

In the VFL:
Mitch Hardie - 37 disposals, 9 clearances.

Damnit.

Pass

We had more influential & damaging players that should be selected ahead of him after today's game

You’re half right.
At this point your view on Hardie should be largely irrelevant and a parked POV.
They need to find out.

This group of midfielders has shown all they can do.
Insanity to keep doing the same thing.

I have an interest in Parf and Mannagh, but even I can see Hardie deserves an upgrade.
It will be interesting at selection to see if Cuthrie suddenly recovers from injury.

I would eject one of Duncan, Dempsey and even Atkins, although his second attempts are manic.
Touhey made three mistakes in a row to start the game, kicked a goal and came good (to fair)
Not thrilled with Ollie Henry either. We are starting games very poorly, for all the talk of focus,
hope milestones are behind us.
MSC need to lift their game, some poor calls with hindsight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this point your view on Hardie should be largely irrelevant and a parked POV.
They need to find out.

I’ll get the popcorn for when Parfitt is picked ahead of him.

Don't know how to read this game. Dissapointed , but feel like quite a few of the older brigade had shockers, but some of the young players, Bruhn in particular were pretty good. Conway got smashed but the more that happens the stronger he'll get. Thought our backline looked suspect, GWS were taking easy marks in our forward 50.

Resting a then an in form Bowes with the outs of we had v Port plus danger out ? I found that selection questionable p_o.

I did find that odd too as i did him sub tonight.

But that said our midfield is still pretty thin either way.

They need to find out.

We should all realise that our opinion on anyone is completely irrelvant? But I suppose without them no more posting?

The only opinions that matter are the people in match committee and so far they have been clear on whether they think Hardie’s VFL form is worthy of promoting to AFL team. At some stage that might change but for now they obviously see him behind our current MF.

I’ll get the popcorn for when Parfitt is picked ahead of him.
True. Brandon trying to midfield is like watching a two hour comedic tragedy at the cinema 🍿 🎦

Real talk: season is done. We’ve been worked out and I’m at peace with it now. Midfield clearly not up to it and the coach did admirably to paper over the cracks for seven weeks but now that won’t hold up any longer. The backline too, when exposed to as much easy ball as it has been, is ordinary. Only Z.Guthrie could say he’s playing to potential this year. Others have all been woeful.

My interest for the rest of the year is how Conway (lacks a tank but great signs for the future), Neale (get rid of those silly dropped chest marks and there’s something to work with), Clark (great competitor, build a tank and get involved for longer), Bruhn (see Clark), and Mullin (great competitor, neat skills and one of the quickest players in the AFL) fare for the rest of the year. I’d like to see Mannagh play most of the rest of the games this year. Hopefully Lawson gets a debut and a few games and hopefully O’Sullivan a few more games. No one else in the VFL excites or would make a difference. Perhaps Clohesy?

And the end is nigh for several now. Hawkins was better tonight but is battling against the top line key backs. Duncan was good early but that missed kick late was really costly. Tuohy battled hard but hasn’t done that twice in a row this year and is not the same player he was. Those three should go at season’s end. Blicavs played his best game in a while tonight but may also be heading south.

The core of good to very good 20-something players is strong enough that with some good drafting and trading we won’t be far off for long. But any likelihood of success in 2024/25 and maybe 2026 is now remote and I’ll turn to how individuals develop.
On reflection that was hard on Kolo who has played to his potential too. All other backs below their best or the standard needed.

We should all realise that our opinion on anyone is completely irrelvant? But I suppose without them no more posting?

The only opinions that matter are the people in match committee and so far they have been clear on whether they think Hardie’s VFL form is worthy of promoting to AFL team. At some stage that might change but for now they obviously see him behind our current MF.
Your unwavering support for the MC is admirable but there comes a time when you need to do your own research and feed that into your thought processes. Unless of course you think the MC, when they sit in the committee room are infallible like the Pope when he sits in the Papal chair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back