Autopsy Cats lose 4th straight to GWS by 4 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should all realise that our opinion on anyone is completely irrelvant? But I suppose without them no more posting?

The only opinions that matter are the people in match committee and so far they have been clear on whether they think Hardie’s VFL form is worthy of promoting to AFL team. At some stage that might change but for now they obviously see him behind our current MF.
Not what I was saying at all.
catempire among others has formed a view on Mitch Hardie, and time may see that be an accurate summation.

I am contending that in the immediate future that should be irrelevant as we need to test the waters and find out.

Didn't play

I spotted him later walking with Edwards - both in there dress pants & shoes, somewhere in the stands
Injured, or can't get a VFL game? If the latter, what a massive fall from being a 22 premiership player

how many games has he played at senior level?
I feel as though he hasn't put a foot wrong to date.
The big thing is: can he cover the kilometers ? I think he can.
The big thing with Knevitt isn't endurance whatsoever, it's his size.

He'd be a top 5 runner at the club, alongside Dempsey who's a similar story.

I've said it before, he'll be a midfield version of Zuthrie from a career trajectory POV.

Exciting early, then everybody jumps off the bandwagon, and then in year 4 or 5 he comes good as he's finally physically big enough to play his role at senior level.

He's an inside/outside mid, who's now become an outside/inside mid in our VFL side off the back of his lack of size, but still giving him an avenue to impact with his endurance on the outside.

He's doing okay there, but it's not where he ends up in the long-term IMO. He's a young player (like many before him) where we're trying to add strings to his bow.

If Clark is sore/suspended, I'd love to see him get a crack this week. Will make it IMO, it's just going to be a slower burn than some would like.

Injured, or can't get a VFL game? If the latter, what a massive fall from being a 22 premiership player

Not really, can't have both him and Touhy, as it's turned out, perhaps also someone like MOC and/or Mullin, has overtaken him. Bews can be proud-Been an integral player and fantastic servant of the Club, time to kiss goodbye and look forward to premiership reunions..

The big thing with Knevitt isn't endurance whatsoever, it's his size.

He'd be a top 5 runner at the club, alongside Dempsey who's a similar story.

I've said it before, he'll be a midfield version of Zuthrie from a career trajectory POV.

Exciting early, then everybody jumps off the bandwagon, and then in year 4 or 5 he comes good as he's finally physically big enough to play his role at senior level.

He's an inside/outside mid, who's now become an outside/inside mid in our VFL side off the back of his lack of size, but still giving him an avenue to impact with his endurance on the outside.

He's doing okay there, but it's not where he ends up in the long-term IMO. He's a young player (like many before him) where we're trying to add strings to his bow.

If Clark is sore/suspended, I'd love to see him get a crack this week. Will make it IMO, it's just going to be a slower burn than some would like.

He is a big chance for selection if either/both Blicavs/Clark are missing next week, surely?

I suspect he does has the requisite endurance; your comment pairs him with Dempsey and I agree their development has reportedly tracked similarly.

Like yourself I'd really like to see him given a crack sooner rather than later.

It's football selection purgatory when you have so many players who would be wasted by going back to VFL because they're too good but also won't find form by being rested

Reportedly injured (rolled ankle?) a couple of weeks back, but that was before the bye and hasn't played the last couple of weeks

This is a Match Committee that preferred O'Connor over Jordan Clark to the point he left for more opportunity, they dont deserve their defenders. Tell me why we wouldn't be a better team with Holmes and Jordan Clark in our midfield right now. And while you're at it, tell me what possible logic could rationalise making Bowes the sub tonight.

Whatever your view is on Hardie, he slots straight into a position of incredible need right away. On that basis alone, he is worth trying. You cannot argue that our bottom 5-6 are in anyway contributing more than what we may get from playing Hardie now, you also cant argue that Hardie isnt doing enough at VFL level. If the MC has formed a view on Hardie that is keeping him out, that says more about the incompetence of the MC and less about Hardie.

Last edited:
There were 26 centre bounces. We had 65 attendances (2.5 on average each bounce) by players under 22.

There's no way to be competitive with that much inexperience in the engine room. It's pretty incredible we were even in the game against a good side given that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 reason Cats lost : Age : Skill : Coaching
Half the side is too old : Half is too young.
This divide has been well discussed already.
The only way beyond, is to go through it.
Kittens must be played, Old Cats managed.
Quick slick transition of first 7 rounds is astray.
Then Cats were hunters, but now the hunted.
Opposition is alert and have increased pressure.
Under pressure the break away, breaks down.
In time and space, perceived pressure dwells.
When a target is forward, kick goes backward.
Often transition chain starts, with a missing link.
3 tall forwards played, but none waiting at home.
Hawk at wing, Jezza roaming, Neale in the Ruck.
Q1 saw 6 daring goals pinged from the 50m arc.
When it mattered kicks went to the goal square.
Long bomb to Stengle v 3 tall's is a very tall order.
Worse were unnecessary assist passes across goal.
Forward pressure is left to Stengle and Close.
Outnumbered, their chain of overlaps started.​
When it ain't working, changes need to be made.
The Game Plan flaws found and fixed fast.
There a few players that need "Management"
There a few Kittens that deserve a AFL game.

Losing games by 8, 6, and 4 isn't a sign that it isn't working.

Those margins are a miskick or a missed call (or a.dodgy call the other way).

It's a long season and we'll hit our straps in due course.

The umpiring in the Port game was either corrupt or extremely incompetent.

The final minutes of this game, several players get a touch on a long kick, the ump awards a mark to Allir.

Mcmullin crashes into the back of Duncan. The balls spills to Bruyne who is legged but the umpire plays illegal disposal.

I like that Mullin idea, his kick into the mark instead of handpass was a bad choice, perhaps further downfield getting experience where mistakes can be recovered. It's not often presser Scott highlights a player by naming that incident as a turning point goal to Greene. Even if it was a bit arsey.
I reckon Geelong right now seem to be a bit stiff with smothers and ricochets. Even if we effect a smother it will probably 70/30 wind up with an opposition player. But we aren't all that good at doing what some club's players can do and kick 'underground' type passes or rolling handballs that avoid what looks like an inevitable smother. And Cats players despite trying might and main, are unable to influence a disposal by getting a hand or part of the body in. Maybe it's because we just don't have the spread and cover other sides seem to have. But it's very frustrating to see.

Don't worry, seriously........you'll beat my team next week at GMHBA Stadium and all will be ok again.
Ominously watching the game last night, the Tigers finally put their most dangerous and talented players forward (Dusty and Bolton), and no surprise they kicked a few goals between them. Last year the aforementioned two and Cotchin also kicked a bunch, and we were beaten by 5 goals. The way Geelong's playing now, and how we are really whiffing it at K.P now, there's no guarantee this is an easy four points. I'd be much happier if Dusty and Bolton play high up the ground like they did rather ineffectively for much of this season.

This is a Match Committee that preferred O'Connor over Jordan Clark to the point he left for more opportunity, they dont deserve their defenders. Tell me why we wouldn't be a better team with Holmes and Jordan Clark in our midfield right now. And while you're at it, tell me what possible logic could rationalise making Bowes the sub tonight.

Whatever your view is on Hardie, he slots straight into a position of incredible need right away. On that basis alone, he is worth trying. You cannot argue that our bottom 5-6 are in anyway contributing more than what we may get from playing Hardie now. If the MC has formed a view on Hardie that is keeping him out, that says more about the incompetence of the MC and less about Hardie.
Based on the last few weeks I have very little faith in the MC at the moment. Instead of Hardie [37 disposals, 1 goal], Mannagh [15 disposals 3 goals] or even Stevens [28 disposals 1 goal] I bet we see Parfitt [26 disposals] and O'Connor back in...

3 reason Cats lost : Age : Skill : Coaching
Half the side is too old : Half is too young.
This divide has been well discussed already.
The only way beyond, is to go through it.
Kittens must be played, Old Cats managed.
Quick slick transition of first 7 rounds is astray.
Then Cats were hunters, but now the hunted.
Opposition is alert and have increased pressure.
Under pressure the break away, breaks down.
In time and space, perceived pressure dwells.
When a target is forward, kick goes backward.
Often transition chain starts, with a missing link.
3 tall forwards played, but none waiting at home.
Hawk at wing, Jezza roaming, Neale in the Ruck.
Q1 saw 6 daring goals pinged from the 50m arc.
When it mattered kicks went to the goal square.
Long bomb to Stengle v 3 tall's is a very tall order.
Worse were unnecessary assist passes across goal.
Forward pressure is left to Stengle and Close.
Outnumbered, their chain of overlaps started.​
When it ain't working, changes need to be made.
The Game Plan flaws found and fixed fast.
There a few players that need "Management"
There a few Kittens that deserve a AFL game.
That last bomb into the forward line was an encapsulation of Geelong's disfunction. Not a single medium to tall forward flew in the contest. Only Stengle contested against Aleer and I think Hogan who had gone down back or Himmelberg. The rest of the Geelong players were ball watching, some hoping it would spill. Aleer took a great mark over the top of Stengle. That was essentially the ball game. Stengle turned around and screamed at the Geelong players in disgust. It was damning but not out of sorts. We've got some prima donnas who don't like to contest unless the ball is delivered to their advantage. We've all seen it, blind Freddy is even aware of it. It's not just the forward line either. There are certain non-negotiables that good teams understand. It does not seem to be the case at Geelong recently. Half arsed attempts at tackling by certain stars of the team is another example.

Yeah Alleer just went 'go go gadget arms' and marked everything sent his way. Only way to beat that is not to kick it to him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We have a real problem at the moment where we are giving opposition midfielders, intercept defenders (AA ones, young ones, cooked ones - whoever) and talented but not superstar forwards (e.g Lukoscious, Riccardi) their best games of the season. Too easy to play against.

That last bomb into the forward line was an encapsulation of Geelong's disfunction. Not a single medium to tall forward flew in the contest. Only Stengle contested against Aleer and I think Hogan who had gone down back or Himmelberg. The rest of the Geelong players were ball watching, some hoping it would spill. Aleer took a great mark over the top of Stengle. That was essentially the ball game. Stengle turned around and screamed at the Geelong players in disgust. It was damning but not out of sorts. We've got some prima donnas who don't like to contest unless the ball is delivered to their advantage. We've all seen it, blind Freddy is even aware of it. It's not just the forward line either. There are certain non-negotiables that good teams understand. It does not seem to be the case at Geelong recently. Half arsed attempts at tackling by certain stars of the team is another example.
We really need to focus on getting the ball to ground more. Tyson is one of our smallest players but of recent times maybe our most reliable mark. Reminds me of times we'd bomb it to Matty Stokes at times. But at that stage of the game conceding intercept marks was crucial. And Leek Aliir has only played a handful of games, yet he stood as big a rock in defence as back in the old 80's days when we'd kick it to Matt Rendell, David Cloke or Gary Dempsey as they dropped back into our defence in the 80's. (that was pre Gary Sr though) :cool:

O.Henry and Jezza falling off a form cliff at the same time the past month or so (when playing) has absolutely destroyed us. There's a decent chance we would've won all three of these close games if both of them were firing and up and about.

We have a real problem at the moment where we are giving opposition midfielders, intercept defenders (AA ones, young ones, cooked ones - whoever) and talented but not superstar forwards (e.g Lukoscious, Riccardi) their best games of the season. Too easy to play against.
Just knew blokes like that would come out, bloody Lukocious has been diabolical, in supercoach he was averaging about 40 in his previous three games, but oh no, against Geelong he becomes Gary Sr. Riccardi too, a frustrating bloke to pick as an anytime goalkicker in other games, but against the Cats, plays deep, he's targeted and marks it like Carey. Any bets next week, as displayed by the Tigers last night, they play dangerous duo Bolton and Dusty deep, and they wreak havoc. Up till last night those two were playing innocuous and undamaging footy off high half back and the midfield.

O.Henry and Jezza falling off a form cliff at the same time the past month or so (when playing) has absolutely destroyed us. There's a decent chance we would've won all three of these close games if both of them were firing and up and about.
Has anyone noticed we've got 2 Gryan Miers now. Gryan Miers and Jeremy Cameron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back