Autopsy Cats lose 4th straight to GWS by 4 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The funny thing is… we could be 10-1, but we’ve bottled those losses mainly by letting a team ragdoll us for a quarter and a half. If you look at Collingwood for example, they have managed to escape losses with 2 draws and 3 wins by a goal or less, they’re season really should be over, but they find a way.

This isn’t like 2023. Last year we looked nothing like it and we’d come back but would never really get close enough. This year we’ve had opportunities to take the lead and either missed, had the ball touched, an advantage not called, a smother rebound to the most dangerous player on the ground.

To be able to turn things around with our midfield the way it is, is promising for the future. It’s a developing year. All the young players will take a big step forward after playing most of this season. Conway is going to be great, Bruhn needs more time on ground and a big mid by his side, but he shows a lot, same as Clark. Nice to see SDK back to playing 22 footy in the last quarter and Stewart and Henry looking better, I don’t think you can underestimate the effect of the injuries had on SDK and Henry and the concussion on Stewart and Cameron.

7-0 had expectations high, but we shouldn’t get carried away. Match committee knows what’s going on and our problems and limitations.

I see us just scraping into the 8 and losing the first week. Bring in a couple of mature age recruits next year and we’re back at it!

Agree with that.

We have had 3 losses by under 10 pts like how collingwood pinch wins under 10pts. We are not that far away.
But the bombing it in is crazy we need to change that
Well if Stanley’s is stuffed then he may well medically retire.

Then grab Joe pike.

I think the cutoff date for opening MSD spots has passed so we cant. But i dont disagree.

Come on now. What ruck playing VFL has come in and had a big impact immediately? Eg Marshall was recruited as a 21 year old and it still took him 3 years to become a regular.

You either go for a talented youngish ruck like Kuol Mun or Pike who are years away. Or you bring in a Fort or Naismith type that are bog ordinary.

I see no point getting the second type. There will be more options of the first type at the end of the year because we can look at trades and it doesn't require us to force someone into early retirement.

There are some. Jack hayes was dominating before his knee (hasnt been the same since admittedly). Omac was taken out of the vfl and looked ready fairly on straight away. So i wouldnt rule it out re a mature option.

On the second option i agree pike wouldnt impact now but the point would be to get him cheaper ie he only costs a rookie spot now but he might cost a r2 at years end if he keeps playing well. Personally i would do that but i get why you disagree.

Geelong was obliterated in that second quarter. GWS 6-5 to Cats 1-2
It wasn't Geelong dropping off, It was GWS going to another level. Geelong no longer has that higher gear. GWS coasted for a while in the second half and almost allowed Geelong to pinch it. When you take into account it was a Geelong home game, and GWS was seriously undermanned due to injuries and suspensions, the close result is extremely flattering for Geelong. Richmond have been terrible all year but they have a few players back and have a superior midfield. It will be a real test for Geelong, even at home. Maybe it's not the time to blood some new talent, maybe it is.

Richmond have a huge injury list and wont get much back next week except graham. And they lose bolton. If we cant beat this richmond at home id be surprised.

I am not disputing he has having an excellent VFL season. What I am saying is that won’t translate to AFL.

I dont disagree but hes earnt a chance to prove us all wrong on that.

I think it could’ve worked if we played Neale deep and Henry higher
But that’s hindsight
The three talls comment is a furphy. Cameron plays like a small, he is playing like Gryan Miers but not as well. Hawkins just doesn't take contested marks let alone overhead marks. So we really only had Shannon Neale as a tall forward. We used to have Hawkins and Cameron as hit up forward targets now we only have Hawkins who is on his last legs. Cameron is hardly ever there. Cameron hitting up Cameron is an unlikely scenario.

Just knew blokes like that would come out, bloody Lukocious has been diabolical, in supercoach he was averaging about 40 in his previous three games, but oh no, against Geelong he becomes Gary Sr. Riccardi too, a frustrating bloke to pick as an anytime goalkicker in other games, but against the Cats, plays deep, he's targeted and marks it like Carey. Any bets next week, as displayed by the Tigers last night, they play dangerous duo Bolton and Dusty deep, and they wreak havoc. Up till last night those two were playing innocuous and undamaging footy off high half back and the midfield.
Utterly infuriating! I can’t even blame my old chestnut, complacency + arrogance against a lower team.

Yes! Tuggers will demolish us, in our current form.

A major strategy change is required, obviously, but we have to play with the players we have, who are fit, who are adaptable.

Frankly, I’d prefer to lose this game, remembering the pragmatic person who said other good teams will drop games. Perhaps this is the round to play the VFL guys who are breaking through the door to play. If one is terrific, great. If two step up, fantastic. We’ll know if we have more depth. Still, maintaining team cohesion is so vital. Too many changes + it’s lost.

Last night, the Bogans had double the number of players around the ball, while our guys seemed stunned, some spectators + hospital handballs. Credit to Close, Holmes, Bruhn, Clark + to those players who sacrificed their natural game to go to ground.

We’re in transition. After so many years of success, supporters must be realistic + accept we are dipping. We’ve already experienced this, hold the faith! We’re still 7-4!

Agree with that.

We have had 3 losses by under 10 pts like how collingwood pinch wins under 10pts. We are not that far away.
But the bombing it in is crazy we need to change that

I think the cutoff date for opening MSD spots has passed so we cant. But i dont disagree.
Certainly glass half full that we lost 3 under 10 points. Could argue we were smashed early against port to the tune of 49 and GWS by 31 and were completely outplayed. Came back hard in Tommy’s milestones but the games were done…..
2-2 at home this season and 3-4 in last 7….. that’s the reality.

Everyone saying we got beaten in the midfield, but I think our defence and attack are now looking worse. Our ability in the air has gone from a strength to a horrendous weakness. SDK skirting around the side of packs and not spoiling contested marks..... Cameron and Hawkins being a non-event..... Neale dropping marks that you would expect an u8b side player to take.

Aleer took more contested marks in the last 2 minutes than any of our players except stengle did all night. And stengle is probably our second shortest player!!! What an embarrassment!
1716690012889.png

Not amazing. Credit to Stengle and Zach, but this isn’t what we want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bowes is being massively overrated in here. His defensive work in midfield has been non-existent and he makes really poor decisions with the ball in hand.

I think he needs to go back to half back because he's a good half back and seems to use the ball better with less pressure coming out of the back half.

I'd prefer to rotate Mullin through the middle than Bowes.
Possibly but the point is Bowes isn't getting much of a crack at it

There are some. Jack hayes was dominating before his knee (hasnt been the same since admittedly). Omac was taken out of the vfl and looked ready fairly on straight away. So i wouldnt rule it out re a mature option.

McInerney played his entire first year on the Brisbane list in the NEAFL. In his first 2 seasons of AFL he was playing as number 2 ruck behind Stefan Martin. He was recruited in 2016 as a 22 year old and didn't play as the number 1 ruck until 2020.

Jack Hayes is a 194cm key forward who had a total of 13 hitouts in his 5 games before the knee injury.

This perfectly demonstrates my point. An Oscar McInerney is the best we could hope for and he took 4 years to be ready as a number 1 ruck.

On the second option i agree pike wouldnt impact now but the point would be to get him cheaper ie he only costs a rookie spot now but he might cost a r2 at years end if he keeps playing well. Personally i would do that but i get why you disagree.

With Conway and Edwards I'm not sure getting Pike who's what 19 is the best option. I'd look at someone like Moyle who is more ready to go but could still develop into a gun.

Well if you could write a book on how to lose a game the synopsis would go something like this -

Chapter 1 - Weaken the already weakest part of your side further by failing to replace the three midfielders you left out this week.

Chapter 2 - Then start one of your few midfield options as the sub, only for him to come on late and have an impact.

Chapter 3 - Watch that already weakest part of your side get torn to shreds, again, in the first half of a game, leaving you in a five goal hole, while watching a number of your midfielders spend extended time on the bench.

Chapter 4 - See your side lay just 14 tackles for the entire 2nd and 3rd quarters. Pathetic.

Chapter 5 - Work your way back in to the game to be within striking distance at 3/4 time.

Chapter 5 - Absolutely dominate the last quarter, with 24 I50 to 5, yet score just 2.3 from those entries.

Chapter 6 - Show a complete lack of composure with the ball for much of that last quarter, repeatedly kicking it outnumbered contests, turning it over, or just haphazardly blazing away, knowing your forward line isn't great overhead or in contested marking situations. What's the definition of insanity?

My goodness we have become so easy to play against over the past month. The midfield gets run over, the defence falls to pieces and the forwards see very little of the ball. So many players are undeserving of spots in the side, we are carrying players on their last legs, but we regularly go back to the well with them, out of what has to be hope more than anything else.

If someone could make sense of what happened at selection by weakening our midfield further, I'd appreciate it.

I won't mention the umpiring, because to be honest, I don't expect anything else other than the shafting they give us weekly, nor do I expect anything to change until the woeful standard is actually held to account, and that won't happen.

We've thrown away an excellent start to the season, and if their plan is to get players right for the run home, well, if they aren't careful, there'll be no need. I know we should have faith in the plan, but there's too much evidence to suggest that faith might be misplaced.

Last edited:
When was the last time we lost 4 straight? Was it 99 or have we done it since then?
Lost the two finals in 2014 (straight sets) and then lost the opening two games of 2015. But this is the first in-season loss of 4 in a row for Geelong under Scott.

Impressive fight back but any drop off from manic pressure and our lack of midfield class shows.

We are not in Flag contention and the hard part starts now to grind our way back to the top.

I feel we have instilled some good traits in our young players.

But a lot has to go right in trade and draft and we don’t have access to elite young talent through draft or academy.

This is our big challenge now.

Wouldn’t be surprised if match committee sent a few messages this week.

Atkins dropped. He’s been poor for a month. Duncan dropped would also be a wake up call that no one is a lock in this side. And he’s not exactly a critical cog in our team right now.

And while I’m on a roll - Cameron’s last 4 weeks might be the worst month of footy we’ve seen since at Geelong.

Danger will miss Richmond game it seems. Maybe play Hardie so I don’t have to keep reading the posts that liken him as a prodigal son. Blokes a battler - watch the VFL before getting firm in the lower regions.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Can you name names of those not prepared to contest nor tackle?
I'm not needling you, just genuinely interested who you see as not having a crack

Basically it came from bombs into our F50 during the last 4 minutes or so, with no poise or clear passing at all, unless you count directly to GWS. The tackles were not in question at this time across the ground- good from Clarke, Atkins, Bruhn.
It was tough on Ollie as the only flyer, he simply doesn't get in front- Hawk is rooted to the ground, Neale invisible.

Henry bombs to Neale, not good enough
Atkins passes directly to Taylor GWS
Bowes poor kick to oppo.
SDK bomb- Hawkins caught behind, Neale wrestling, Dempsey free
Jezza tap from Neale, under pressure tries the miraculous and kicks a point
GWS evade a slow Hawkins tackle on the boundary
Blics free kick and directs it straight to Whitfield GWS.
Bruhn misses a simple mark on GWS F50 ball carries to
Dempsey to Cameron, ill advised he's covered by 2 GWS,
meanwhile Stengle is running free over the back screaming for it, Dempsey ignores.
Dempsey fails to get back on his player after the turnover, and is dragged.
Ollie tries to mark from behind and fails-Aleer. watching on Hawkins behind,
and Duncan, the shorter Bowes and Stengle and Clark.
Clark bombs, Duncan out of position, so is Hawk (behind them)
Duncan kicks a grubber to Cameron.

Could probably go on, and I'm not a fan of Scotts take that it was a game of inches, citing Mullins lapse and Greene's goal. It was ultimately lost at the last by poor decision making by many, kicking to packs and and a stagnant forward line.

Last edited:
I'm ready to give Hardie and Mannagh their chance, if your one of those waiting for Guthrie to turn the ship around good luck to you for FS can we bring Cameron back into the forward half of the ground stop dicking around with Bowes and play him through the middle also wouldn't mind giving SDK or Henry a spell this week and have a look at Jeka deap back.
At this point, at the risk of being a Debby Downer, when I usually support + focus on positives. . .
With injuries + managing players, what do we have to lose? Give the VFL achievers a sink or swim chance, which will perhaps achieve favourable results:
  1. New capable player/s identified;
  2. They discover AFL level is a step too far atm, return to VFL to work on improving;
  3. Creates hunger in players, who are struggling with confidence or despondency to lift, if their spot is uncertain.
Obviously Danger is in cotton wool until Sydney game. He plays against superior teams.

Who fills his role when he’s not playing?

We still need to accept changes with the current hand we’re dealt, may mean more losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back