Autopsy Cats lose 4th straight to GWS by 4 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It makes me irrationally angry (or maybe it’s not irrational) when Blicavs turns on to his left foot when he doesn’t need to. He’s been doing it for a long time. The result is usually not good. Maybe ‘not bad’, but rarely good. It’s like someone keen to show off a skill when they’ve just learnt it. Just use your right foot when you are balanced up.

Stevie J, despite being one of the more skilled players of his era, used do it in general play when he could have gone on the right, and was routinely ordinary at it also, some great clangers. (As opposed to a snap for goal, or when you have no choice).

Sometimes a man has got to know his limitations.

Anyway, those ‘fake’ comebacks leave me cold. Hopefully no pats on the back. A little bit of the Bomber Thompson ‘respect the game’ needed. It’s a privilege for them to play it, some pretty poor moments for quite a few.
It was funny that Kane Cornes mentioned this on Sunday Footy Show today. I think I just assumed he was left footed at this point haha.

The issue of the slow FL is:

1) Hawk is done [EDIT: He cannot get off the ground, and now has about 1.5 tricks left] sadly
2) As a result OH gets flooded by oppo players and cannot escape
3) JC is up the ground
4) and our upfield players bomb it rather than demand a lead from someone

It strikes me that we are panicking and rushing rather than controlling the tempo a bit more. All the same it is difficult when the MF can't get near it and the FB handballs to the oppo. And the frustration around the umpires must be simmering, not that that is why we are losing.

Made worse by the fact that we leave our run until too late = Panic. We've been patiently waiting for the Hawk revival, but they can't feed him playing behind or off the ball, and as you say, he can't fly to mark.
I've just watched STK's King take a classic mark in front, leading May. We don't seem to be getting that.
Thank goodness for Tom on his personal day, he took a mark on the lead for a beauty in the first quarter.
Not enough.

Hey guys, I come in peace ahead of this weeks game.
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.
Through work I’ve secured presidents function tickets.
Just wondering what to expect on the night?
Is it a dinner or snack type deal?
What’s the best options for parking on game days?
Really any relevant info would be appreciated!
Cheers!

Last edited:

Yep and we aren’t that team anymore. They had a superstar who took his limited chance and converted. We don’t have someone like that atm but we still had so many chances to get the win in the last quarter. They didn’t win because their defence held up- they won because our entries/forays forward were dreadful- in terms of decision making and skill execution. We never stopped trying- we just couldn’t get it right.

And there's the rub. The positive is there were so many entries, but when chances are continually missed it's deflating for supporters.
Roaming Jezza is starting to get to me almost on the angst level of roaming Brian. He's looking clumsy across the centre.
I wish he would stay home to lead and mark and let Rohan or someone else do the roaming.

Hey guys, I come in peace ahead of this weeks game.
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.
Through work I’ve secured presidents function tickets.
Just wondering what to expect on the night?
Is it a dinner or snack type deal?
What’s the best options for parking on game days?
Really any relevant info would be appreciated!
Cheers!

You'll be an early arrival, 5.00 pm.m- so shouldn't have too much trouble parking in the ground, the gate/room entry is on the Moorabool St side (see next post).

Geelong Cats President's Club Function

Venue: Presidents Club Room, Level 2

Brownlow Stand, GMHBA Stadium

Enter via Corporate Entry Gate 14 take lifts or escalator Level 2

Date: Saturday, June 1

Function commences: 5:30pm

Game commences: 7:30pm

Dress code: Business casual - strictly no denim (strict dress code applies. Entry will be refused)

Inclusions

- Gourmet three-course dining experience and half-time footy fare

- Premium beverage package

- Premium reserved seat

- VIP waiter service

- MC and special guest speakers

- President's address

- Live entertainment

- AFL Record

- Networking opportunities

- Car park pass

Last edited:
You'll be an early arrival, 5.00 pm.m- so shouldn't have too much trouble parking in the ground, the gate/room entry is on the Moorabool St side (see next post).

Geelong Cats President's Club Function

Venue: Presidents Club Room, Level 2

Brownlow Stand, GMHBA Stadium

Enter via Corporate Entry Gate 14 take lifts or escalator Level 2

Date: Saturday, June 1

Function commences: 5:30pm

Game commences: 7:30pm

Dress code: Business casual - strictly no denim (strict dress code applies. Entry will be refused)

Inclusions

- Gourmet three-course dining experience and half-time footy fare

- Premium beverage package

- Premium reserved seat

- VIP waiter service

- MC and special guest speakers

- President's address

- Live entertainment

- AFL Record

- Networking opportunities

- Car park pass
Thanks mate, appreciate all the info!

It's a lot easier to swallow with all of Mullin, Holmes, Dempsey, Neale, Henry, Clark, Bruhn, Conway, & SDK playing, while it makes the loss a bit more explainable too.

It's says a bit about us as supporters that we can have that many players in the 'developing' category in the side, and still rock up and expect to win every week....and then lose our shit when it doesn't happen.

It's disappointing to lose, as it always will be...but I take solace in getting valuable experience into a lot of the pieces of our next premiership side. It certainly beats losing with SFA coming though (Hi Richmond)

The last month has absolutely been rough, and there will be vultures & trolls with the pitchforks ready as there always will be.

With that being said, if you'd told me in the pre-season that we'd be 7-4 with the aforementioned names getting valuable experience, I would've taken it, and I reckon we all would have.

Keep the ball rolling on that front, continue making smart decisions in trade week and at the draft, and we'll be a very serious contender in short order once again.
Well said.

Obviously, we all want a win every week 🤣

But to become a great team, you really need alot of time together.

Those years where we sort of floundered around (2017-2019), that was the gelling phase.

Even the coaches need to figure out what we actually have in the cupboards. It’s only over time and observable data, that players and coaches figure out how they are actually going to play.

One thing is noticed yesterday - Neale is probably a better CHF than a FF. I don’t mind the idea of him and Cameron roaming up the wings and then back towards goal. But then who ends up being the full forward? Dangerfield?

I like this development phase. The kids are not too bad and are slowly growing into their roles.

I expect us to end up around 8-12 this year. If we make finals, that’s cool, but unlikely we will have any impact - based on how good some of the more mature, in the window teams are going at the moment.

Come finals, very likely that unless others teams completely drop the ball, no way are we winning to Collingwood, Port, GWS, Carlton, EFC and the swans.

And by the way, spare a thought for Brisbane 🤣🤣🤣

Hardly stuffed their structure though, did he?
Think SDK and Henry being witches hats first half on Riccardi and Hogan made the structure work better than anything Kingsley could implement.

As for Geelong, plain as day the structure doesn't work. Cameron hardly in the F50.
Henry crowded out.
Hawkins struggling to run or move.

Add Neale and to that I am wasn't convinced last night an extra tall was a net positive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think SDK and Henry being witches hats first half on Riccardi and Hogan made the structure work better than anything Kingsley could implement.

As for Geelong, plain as day the structure doesn't work. Cameron hardly in the F50.
Henry crowded out.
Hawkins struggling to run or move.

Add Neale and to that I am wasn't convinced last night an extra tall was a net positive.
It doesn’t work because none of our three can stand under a high ball. It’s not that three talls can’t work.

Went along to watch the VFL to see what was there. My impressions were that Hardie is very vanilla and looked a VFL player. The mid that looked a step above (even though he got less possessions) was Parfitt. Mannagh is a small forward not a mid so he is competing with Stengle, Miers and Close.
Why on earth would you drop Mullin? Played on a half back flank and held his opponent to 3 possessions for the game.

I mentioned it during the VFL match that while Parfitt wasn't playing the perfect game & he did have a few turnovers, it felt like the turnovers were more from the lack of connections in the VFL team compared with just poor turnovers - you could tell he knew what he wanted to do & how he wanted to bring teammates into it, so he would kick into the space for the forward to lead into, but the forward was holding back waiting for the kick to come to them instead

In the 3rd quarter there was a turnover at halfback where he was pinned to the boundary line & multiple teammates were loudly yelling at Hardie to block for him so he had space to work into, instead Hardie backs away to present as an option for a handball over the top - so another turnover on Parfitt, but with better teamwork it may not have been a turnover

I can't knock Parfitt's work rate yesterday - he just didn't stop from opening bounce until the final siren, so while it would have been good to see a cleaner game from him, can't knock the effort

Richmond at $10.50 v the Cats next week looks juicy odds.
YPO if you're planning on donating money next weekend I can give you my paypal details instead.
They're 10.50 odds in a two horse race for a reason.

It doesn’t work because none of our three can stand under a high ball. It’s not that three talls can’t work.
Never said it did or didn't. I scoffed at including Cadman who was as anonymous in the game as can be.

YPO if you're planning on donating money next weekend I can give you my paypal details instead.
They're 10.50 odds in a two horse race for a reason.

Never said it did or didn't. I scoffed at including Cadman who was as anonymous in the game as can be.
I don't think Geelong supporters can be at all confident we will beat any team in the competition, but we are lucky to be getting a Richmond team decimated by injuries. We will probably lose the midfield battle but Richmond will struggle to kick a winning score with their reserves forward line.

I don't think Geelong supporters can be at all confident we will beat any team in the competition, but we are lucky to be getting a Richmond team decimated by injuries. We will probably lose the midfield battle but Richmond will struggle to kick a winning score with their reserves forward line.
Has a classic Cats 4-6 goal win at home written all over it.

Never really in doubt...but you're left wanting more, and it almost feels like a loss.

With that being said, we'll take whatever we can get right now.

Pointless contribution then.
You've changed man.
A bit more feisty this season.

As it stands. Syd, Port, GWS all play 3 talls consistently. Melbourne has 3-4 talls but chop and change who is in and whose at Casey on a weekly basis. Pies don't have 3 tall forwards to choose from. Blues have tried TDK as a resting ruck with limited success. Bombers have Wright and then two medium forwards.

So more inside the 8 either don't play 3 talls or are having limited success with it than those that are doing well.

This is the biggest test Chris Scott has ever had as a coach, he is now in control of an ordinary team on the verge of complete collapse. Will he take up the challenge or will he high tail it out of there? My bet is the latter!

Id drop Ollie Henry this week for Mannagh , id go the complete Mosquito fleet , have 4 of them like other teams have in the past and with plenty of success

The only time Geel looked like scoring yesterday was when Stengle and Close were in the frame

O Henry- the plusses , he does try very hard , but if you are on 500-600k a year then you should try hard . He does show great courage , last week against the Suns he went back with the flight of the ball , could have got seriously hurt , but that bit of play allowed Neale to kick a goal , so you cant question his courage

I think he is a limited player ( and ive said that all along ) hes got no real turn of foot and lacks agility , you could not play him on a hbf or CHB or FB , he is just too slow

When Geel are playing champagne football and Cameron and Hawkins are starring , O Henry can be an asset , he can kick his 2-3 goals , he is cream on top of the cake type player

However when Geel are an ordinary , battling , average team , guess what O Henry is an ordinary battling average football , yeah sure he will take his speccy every now again to get some excited , too excited when rating a player

In S Mannagh Out O Henry , omitted

You've changed man.
A bit more feisty this season.

As it stands. Syd, Port, GWS all play 3 talls consistently. Melbourne has 3-4 talls but chop and change who is in and whose at Casey on a weekly basis. Pies don't have 3 tall forwards to choose from. Blues have tried TDK as a resting ruck with limited success. Bombers have Wright and then two medium forwards.

So more inside the 8 either don't play 3 talls or are having limited success with it than those that are doing well.
Good empirical analysis. ✅

Id drop Ollie Henry this week for Mannagh , id go the complete Mosquito fleet , have 4 of them like other teams have in the past and with plenty of success

The only time Geel looked like scoring yesterday was when Stengle and Close were in the frame

O Henry- the plusses , he does try very hard , but if you are on 500-600k a year then you should try hard . He does show great courage , last week against the Suns he went back with the flight of the ball , could have got seriously hurt , but that bit of play allowed Neale to kick a goal , so you cant question his courage

I think he is a limited player ( and ive said that all along ) hes got no real turn of foot and lacks agility , you could not play him on a hbf or CHB or FB , he is just too slow

When Geel are playing champagne football and Cameron and Hawkins are starring , O Henry can be an asset , he can kick his 2-3 goals , he is cream on top of the cake type player

However when Geel are an ordinary , battling , average team , guess what O Henry is an ordinary battling average football , yeah sure he will take his speccy every now again to get some excited , too excited when rating a player

In S Mannagh Out O Henry , omitted
Ollie Henry is 13th in the Coleman. He ain’t getting dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back