Cats plea to AFL for financial help (Age)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't they be taxed less if they just cut back their football department spend? Seems a logical resolution to me.

If their gripe is with playing home games at the G I would understand, however.

Wouldn't it be better to fix an arbitrary tax that discriminates middle road clubs the most out of all clubs in the comp?

That seems more logical than say; middle road clubs reducing their football dept spending to avoid a tax, powerhouse clubs spending away on the football dept (and likely advantageous position it gives to team performance) and subsequently just sending a cheque of a capped $300k every year for the privilege, and low end clubs - eh you don't pay this tax so spend whatever on the football dept and the AFL will probably bankroll it....

Cut your football spend instead of going hand out to the AFL. Why do you need so many coaches? Why do you need so many in the football department?
The AFL need to start asking some of these clubs these questions. There is no proof that higher spending football departments bring more success, it's a myth generated by the clubs to keep giving jobs to the boys.
Every club could easily drop a million dollars out of their footy department and it would have little if no impact on their present or future. When clubs put their hand out that should be the first AFL question.

Applythat to the AFL too. Equalisation tax has probably added an army of accountants

Maybe they should ask the state govt for more of the taxpayer's money to fund their further stadium refit.

It's worked every time so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How much has Melbourne FC contributed to the MCG upgrades?

Didn't the AFL already cut back on department spending? Where is all their money going?
Money is going to doing what no other club in the AFL does an pay for our ground improvements

Geelong have played the Vic state govt to perfection. You can't dispute it.

I reckon they should keep trying, it's worked to perfection thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why should we pay $700 a year for membership so that $100 goes to pay the pauper clubs, when they're only paying $300 a year for similar memberships? That's not fair on our supporters. Particularly when the equalisation fund is allegedly to account for the crappy draw of pauper clubs, when we consistently have more twilight games than anyone.

You pay $700 for a GA membership?

Yet the AFL won't let other AFL teams play 1-2 games per year down at Kardinia Park which would boost the stadium revenues of both Geelong and whichever team played there.

The AFL should provide some relief or Geelong if they are contributing to the equalization fund.
Geelong wouldn't see any money from a extra game. We don't own the ground the City of Greater Geelong does.
We just pay money for it to be upgraded.

Ditch the 3-game memberships. Have 5 or 6 as a minimum. People who want to be members will still buy them.

How does this help? Force people to pay more for something they won't use and the ones that aren't prepared to can f*** off entirely? Basically just arbitrarily extract more money from the consumer by limiting their choice with a take it or leave it offer? With an attitude like that you would do well at AFL house.

The point was if it was left unchecked it would be unfair on our members. It is ridiculous if we hand over our cash to the club so a good percentage of it goes out the door to the pauper clubs, who are charging half the price for their memberships. I am a member of my club to support it and it alone, not every s**t club out there that can't keep up.

I seriously don't understand this view. I love footy, I love the competition as a whole and I love the history of the other clubs and their contributions to the game (even those with short histories). If my club had a secure future and was self sufficient off field I couldn't give a stuff about the finances. The only reason I'm interested is because of the inequalities and precarious future of a number of clubs.

How much was a WCE membership before and after the equalisation measures? Are these measures the reason a membership costs what it does over there? Or is it because that's how much the clubs/WAFL have figured they can fleece from their supporters (no different to over here where a premium membership costs a fortune these days)?

Let's not forget the lights are not there to increase attendances.

The lights are there to hold more games at night to increase TV ratings (and attendances be damned).
Except the AFL totally forgot that the ground has lights and scrambled at the last minute to schedule a token game.

As to why the club is losing money it is there in the article:
Cook acknowledged Geelong's financial woes had raised some eyebrows in the industry. He pointed out that while the Cats' stadium deal was much-envied the club had contributed $14 million into the ground's upgrade

Not many if any other club pays so much for ground upgrades

We always have Sunday arvo games and have thousands of country members who come up every game. There are lines of buses outside Subi to head back down as far away as Albany and Geraldton, each 4+ hours away.

The TV rights go to all clubs and are used to at least give a base revenue to each club. A key part of this is a Sunday twilight game as people settle down in front of the tele after kids sports, doing yard work, cleaning, having lunch out, etc before dinner time. What should occur is this crappy Sunday slot (for attendance) should be evenly spread around. We can't all have Sat arvo time slots and have $1bn+ for the TV rights.

A "Sunday twilight" timeslot in WA is 2.40pm. Hardly the middle of the night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Night games are killers for country supporter. I myself am a country Melbourne member. While i did buy the full home and away membership, No trains run at night which means staying over in Melbourne which i can not afford and at times can not do. I assume Geelong has a similar problem and being a more popular team has more night games. i also north eastern supporters such as myself past seymour would struggle to get down to geelong and back in one day.

And of course geelong are still a decent side but they are not fantastic this year, so probably lost some bandwagoners there

Money is going to doing what no other club in the AFL does an pay for our ground improvements
I'm not sure if i'm correct so anyone correct me if i'm wrong but isn't Carlton still paying for it's improvements to visy park

The problem is not Eddie or the Pies - the problem is the AFL continually bowing to the whims of Eddie and the Pies.
the problem is eddie. now you have the the hawthorn president of Hawthorn Andrew Newbolt, attempting to do an eddie! they beat their chest about how financially successful they are & arrogantly care to comment about other clubs. FFS give other clubs the hand outs and exposure those clubs have had and they will become financial success stories like the pies and hawks

Why bring us into it? We pay the most, doing more than our bit, your club could to, if it didn't have such a large legal bill right now, you still have plenty of supporters. Eddie has good business sense, and thankfully is a Collingwood man. As for bleeding anybody for the wrong reason, take a look at your coach, and leave the tears at home.
you care to attempt to comment on other clubs financial matters, like many of the hawthorn fans do! learn about do. learn about the financial histories of the clubs!
good business sense from eddie, sit on many boards & ream the tax payer!

for FFS get some idea about business! large legal bills, is why people pay for insurance
the 5 odd million in claimed legal bills that Essendon spent cost the club stuff all in comparison to that

Can you give me evidence or examples of Eddie doing anything that isn't by the book? Or you want to make unsubstantiated accusations against him because you're a typical feral internet troll who is purely envious of Collingwood's position?
yeah go and look at the history of boards Eddie ast on, events victoria and athletics victoria.
go and look in to the redevelopment of the running surface of the olympic park stadium, then the redevelopment of the former bob jane stadium & new home of athletics victoria.

now every time eddie is on radio he whore's out the pies on radio & always giving out collingwood freebies

you care to attempt to comment on other clubs financial matters, like many of the hawthorn fans do! learn about do. learn about the financial histories of the clubs!
good business sense from eddie, sit on many boards & ream the tax payer!

for FFS get some idea about business! large legal bills, is why people pay for insurance
the 5 odd million in claimed legal bills that Essendon spent cost the club stuff all in comparison to that
So much vitriol! And yet no explanation of why you bring Collingwood into a Geelong thread

I've been thinking that if clubs want bigger crowds then they need something out of the box to get the punters in. Some competitions where people can win prizes is one idea. I have been working on a concept that I originally shared on the north board but would be happy for Geelong to use it too.

The idea is that when you enter the gate, you get a raffle ticket which you hold on to until half time. At half time they draw the raffle and whoever has the matching ticket wins a meat tray. They can go and collect their meat tray at half time if they wish but I'm still trying to work this out as someone might not want to sit with a meat tray for the whole of the second half.

Another issue I ran into was how they can safely get the meat home. It needs to be kept cold and if the people have a long drive or train ride home (like back to Geelong) then their could be problems.

My idea was a plastic bag filled with ice which would keep it cool. Someone suggested maybe a cooler bag in the club colours which would be a better idea but would have to look into costs as we want to keep costs down.

There could also be themes for different players like kosher (no pork) for Goldstein, maybe some Italian meats for an Italian player etc.

I'm still working out a few bugs and will then be putting a proposal to a couple of clubs and the afl.
Lol.

What time is your set at the Comedy Festival?

Funniest thing I've read all day.

Props.

I like the idea but from experience I have found a slab raffle can make a club 20-30 dollars more than a meat tray. While the outgoings buying a slab might exceed a meat tray (depending on the cuts of meat) ticket sales will generally be higher. If a child wins you can easily substitute the slab of beer for soft drink. Clubs could also do a raffle where each crowd member is given a player and if their player kicks the first goal they win half the raffle takings.
Pretty sure they do this in the NRL to be honest.

the problem is eddie. now you have the the hawthorn president of Hawthorn Andrew Newbolt, attempting to do an eddie! they beat their chest about how financially successful they are & arrogantly care to comment about other clubs. FFS give other clubs the hand outs and exposure those clubs have had and they will become financial success stories like the pies and hawks

Im interested to hear what these handouts are - care to elaborate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back