Unofficial Preview Changes for Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see McGinnity's inclusion as some sort of indicator about anyone's ability or long-term usefulness to the team. Rather I see it as a message of hope to the WAFL players for decent form as well as a message to the higher rated Eagles players that they're not above being dropped if they play like s**t.

agree. forces redden to take a serious look at himself when someone like mcginnity is getting a gig over him.

At least McGinnity shows a bit of aggression unlike others.
People don't like the decision of him playing and can't wait for Sheed to come back because he'll make a difference.
Sheed is a good player for us, and could be a future captain, but his disposal efficiency is similar to McGinnity's who everyone bags.
Sheed 63.6% 1.9 avg clangers
McGinnity 69%. 2.8avg clangers
Sheed 68.8% 2.2 clangers
McGinnity 66.7% 1.6avg clangers

Leave it for you guys to argue now.

I'm actually all for the inclusion of McGinnity in the team this week for the potential intangible benefits it can provide. McGinnity reminds my of the movie Rudy.

But you asked us to argue - and your presentation of the stats is absolutely terrible. As they say, statistics can be used to make an argument for approximately 85% of all possible outcomes. CONTEXT MATTERS.

We've all seen the arguments about whether Disposal Efficiency is actually any good as a stat, so I won't rehash that and I'll focus on the Clangers as I believe that's what people take issue with with McGinnity.

Sheed averaged more clangers than McGinnity in 2015 - but he also had the ball almost 7 times as much - 449 possessions to 66. If we look at a Clanger Rate - Sheed has had 69 Clangers from 556 Possessions over his 2 years for a Clanger Rate of 12.4%. Over the same time, McGinnity has had 42 Clangers from 179 possessions for a Clanger Rate of 23.5%.

So McGinnity is 89.5% MORE LIKELY to have a clanger each time he gets the ball.

We could also look at the trends from 2014 to 2015 and draw a pretty solid conclusion that Sheed took some time to adjust to the AFL game in his first year and was substantially improved in his second year. So if we just compare their 2015 years, we'd get an even more stark result.

I understand what McGinnity brings to the game and as noted, I support his inclusion this week. But trying to argue that his disposal is around the same as Sheed's seems pretty far fetched to me.

Brown to poke himself in the eye and break his hand around 10 minutes into the first quarter.
Trying to scratch his eyebrow no less.
It feels like Simpson has finally turned this car around!
You know that empty threat that was nnever going to happen when you were a kid .
But instead of ' I'll turn this car around ' it's
' I'll drop you for maginnity '
So sig worthy.

At least simmo now is prepared to drop players he either underperform or don't mean team standards

You either ship up or ship out .....footy has hc aged a lot over the years but one thing is constant

PLAYERS PLAY BETTER WHEN THEY KNOW THEIR SPOT IN THE TEAM IS ON THE LINE. If you screwup in any workplace because your lazy then you deserve a bake

Soon brings you back ....it's the Aussie way

This thread needs more Adamson...
Ginas selection shows that theres a chance for him. Just needs to return to his early season form. Hopefully a few kids start performing week in and week out for ep from now on.

Hopefully a few kids start performing week in and week out for ep from now on.
Dunno, guys like Blakely, Weller and Tucker have performed pretty well all year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Play him on Zarahakis tonight in the semi tag role. Keep their best mid quiet and get 20 touches yourself and maybe pick up a goal and he will have had a good night.
Nah give that to hutch

Giles should only be in the team as a primary ruckman when both Nic Nat and Lycett are out. That won't be the case this game so Giles will be an out. The big question comes down to back-up for Lycett. Giles doesn't offer enough forward (esp defensively) and McInnes isn't in the form we need. Thinking outside the square a bit, I would prefer to bring McKenzie back in (same size as McInnes, but a better player), with McKenzie and McGovern rucking 20-40% game time between them. It gives us a chance to trial McKenzie up the ground a bit more and get his confidence back further away from the opposition goal line. Obviously McGovern can swing forward if needed. I doubt Nelson for Hutchings will happen, given Hutchings got coaches votes on the weekend, but I would like to see it happen going forward.
In: Lycett, McKenzie, Nelson
Out: Giles, McInnes, Hutchings
It ended up being Brown instead of McKenzie

Nah give that to hutch

Well Simpson agreed with me.;)Zaharakis will get a week for that punch to the solar plexus.

Held him to bugger all 15 possies and picked up 14 himself. Not a bad start and Nelson started to hunt the ball himself in the last.

Good start as a tagger and will learn to balance that defense / offensive game style as he gets experience / confidence.

I'd play him on Wells this week.

Well Simpson agreed with me.;)Zaharakis will get a week for that punch to the solar plexus.

Held him to bugger all 15 possies and picked up 14 himself. Not a bad start and Nelson started to hunt the ball himself in the last.

Good start as a tagger and will learn to balance that defense / offensive game style as he gets experience / confidence.

I'd play him on Wells this week.
Yeah he was good but i still say he rotate with hutch. He picked most of his possession when he wasnt opposed to zaharakis. Most taggers now offer more offensivley and i dont think nelson is there yet.

Yeah he was good but i still say he rotate with hutch. He picked most of his possession when he wasnt opposed to zaharakis. Most taggers now offer more offensivley and i dont think nelson is there yet.

Second year player plays first game in midfield at AFL level. Shuts down leading opposition mid, gets belted and sticks at his job and then gets involved in multiple scoring chains when given some leash to run offensively. 9 contested possessions, a couple of clearances, equal 5th in tackles.

I'm not really sure what more Nelson could have done. It was a very solid debut in the guts for a young bloke not blessed with the man-child gene.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back