Changes for Round 14 vs Port (Reid & Goldy in, Schaz & Smith out, plus Cox as emergency)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The coaching staff are better placed to make a call on which players are more likely to perform at the required standard. Of course they can also get it wrong and have done on many occasions. The decision to drop Scharenberg is unlikely to have a significant impact on the result either way, so all the angst is probably wasted.

Can understand the logic. Shaz hasn't been amazing, and while Langdon wasn't either on QB they are probably about at the same level in the pecking order and you'd want to get a couple of games in a row to work into it.

Lets get the thread back on track.

I would have thought the bigger talking point this week for selections was not Goldsack for Shaz (an upgrade) but Smith out for Reid. How does this change the structures and who plays Smith's role. Maybe Crisp plays behind centre for some more drive and Degoey plays more centre time?

We miss Varcoe

The coaching staff are better placed to make a call on which players are more likely to perform at the required standard. Of course they can also get it wrong and have done on many occasions. The decision to drop Scharenberg is unlikely to have a significant impact on the result either way, so all the angst is probably wasted.
...and most players have been dropped at some point during their career, it generally makes them a much better player.
(not suggestion the melts should stop, they amuse me greatly)

Can understand the logic. Shaz hasn't been amazing, and while Langdon wasn't either on QB they are probably about at the same level in the pecking order and you'd want to get a couple of games in a row to work into it.
But isn't that the point, its not up to you to understand it, that is the Coach's job, not yours
You have perhaps 15 to 20% of the information available that determines who is in or who is out.
The Coaches have 100% of the available information
There is no way in hell you could ever understand it

Last edited:
But isn't that the point, its not up to you to understand it, that is the Coach's job, not yours
You have perhaps 15 to 20% of the information available that determines who is in or who is out.
The Coaches have 100% of the available information
There is no way in hell you could ever understand it

Good point but you may have quoted the wrong post?

Unless we aren't meant to comment on selection even if we agree with it...

I think Langdon staying in probably means Reid will play forward. Langdon probably has a bit more body size on him right now and can play a key position a bit more. Is a little more desperate than Shaz right now as well. I assume Dunn goes to Dixon, Goldsack to Westhoff and Langdon on Trengove, with Howe playing or on Robbie Gray.

My heart would've liked to have seen Shaz get another chance over Langdon. But it's probably the right call.
We have some capable forwards in defence. Anyone of Dunn Reid and Howe could drop in there and even Goldsack.

We have some capable forwards in defence. Anyone of Dunn Reid and Howe could drop in there and even Goldsack.

True, but I think Buckley is really hesitant to move Howe and Goldsack in particular (I think goldy was moved forward in his last game purely because he couldn't lift his arm).

Reid is the only one I reckon we'll see forward this year.

Lets get the thread back on track.

I would have thought the bigger talking point this week for selections was not Goldsack for Shaz (an upgrade) but Smith out for Reid. How does this change the structures and who plays Smith's role. Maybe Crisp plays behind centre for some more drive and Degoey plays more centre time?

We miss Varcoe

It improves the structures having Reid in the forward line. We have been light on for a second tall target since Reid got injured. The midget forward line was good for a temporary basis although less so after Elliott broke down as well.

Doesnt really matter who fills Smiths specific role. Agree Crisp is a good option but there are tons of permutations.

Not sure if it's legit, but Matthew Broadbent is apparently a late withdrawal for them. Replaced by Matt White who had 6 disposals in the SANFL :confused:

I actually rate Broadbent. Gives them good rebound and has a fair kick on him.

Like I said, not sure of the validity of the post, but apparently that's the case.

It improves the structures having Reid in the forward line. We have been light on for a second tall target since Reid got injured. The midget forward line was good for a temporary basis although less so after Elliott broke down as well.

Doesnt really matter who fills Smiths specific role. Agree Crisp is a good option but there are tons of permutations.

Agreed. Will be good to have another tall target up forward.

On Smith's role, Crisp is a good option and another could be Aish. He seems to have played a bit off half back lately and uses the ball well.

Dropping Scharenberg is a mistake in my opinion and IN MY OPINION, could be a clue as to his future at the club.

Given the pick we used to get him, his injuries combined with the length of time we've been waiting to get him in the seniors, I feel like he needs more time to get the flow of senior football.

Him going back to the 2s to dominate again does nothing for him. Yeah, he wasn't setting the world on fire but at the VERY least he wasn't costing us as many goals as Smith, Ramsay, Blair and even Sidebottom who have all been given more senior games this year.

Hopefully it's an overreaction but I wonder if we'll be seeing a scenario where he asks for a trade by year's end. Hope not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dropping Scharenberg is a mistake in my opinion and IN MY OPINION, could be a clue as to his future at the club.

Given the pick we used to get him, his injuries combined with the length of time we've been waiting to get him in the seniors, I feel like he needs more time to get the flow of senior football.

Him going back to the 2s to dominate again does nothing for him. Yeah, he wasn't setting the world on fire but at the VERY least he wasn't costing us as many goals as Smith, Ramsay, Blair and even Sidebottom who have all been given more senior games this year.

Hopefully it's an overreaction but I wonder if we'll be seeing a scenario where he asks for a trade by year's end. Hope not.
I was thinking the same, reckon its a certainty.

He strikes me as a very level headed young man who will understand that his form needs to improve. I would be surprised if he asks for a trade as he appears committed to the club.

He strikes me as a very level headed young man who will understand that his form needs to improve. I would be surprised if he asks for a trade as he appears committed to the club.

Hope so.

I just think that if I was in his position, after working so incredibly hard to get back and then dominate the VFL for a month, I'd be kind of annoyed I've onyl been given a few matches to get the flow of senior football.

Would be incredibly disheartening.

True, but I think Buckley is really hesitant to move Howe and Goldsack in particular (I think goldy was moved forward in his last game purely because he couldn't lift his arm).

Reid is the only one I reckon we'll see forward this year.
Maybe it's time to be less predictable. Buckley holds the cards here.

Maybe if he played better v Melbourne he'd still be in. Ever thought of that.

Hope so.

I just think that if I was in his position, after working so incredibly hard to get back and then dominate the VFL for a month, I'd be kind of annoyed I've onyl been given a few matches to get the flow of senior football.

Would be incredibly disheartening.

I'm sure he's disappointed but I think part of that will be with himself. He will have been given the reasons why and things to work on. He's very much part of the club's long term plans.

Scharenberg going out is strange. I can only think that Buckley isn't able to give players games hoping they will get better when he feels that he needs a good finish to the year to keep his job. Maybe Scharenberg is having trouble running out AFL games and needs more match conditioning or something like that.

I don't like Reid at CHB. Needs to play forward to support Moore and if we want to swing him forward during the game, there isn't anyone who can go back.

Maybe if he played better v Melbourne he'd still be in. Ever thought of that.

When has it ever been as simple as "he played a bad game, drop him" for a player who is in the club's long term plans?

I mean, Moore has played bad games and not been dropped, Sidebottom has played a few bad games and not been dropped, hell even Blair has been kept in after bad games.

Scharenberg wasn't really BAD against Melbourne like say Smith was, he just...wasn't all that good. There's kind of a difference. But given he's returning from 2 knee recos and that he's apparently part of our long term future, I'm not sure why he'd be dropped. What is dropping him achieving if the plan is for him to play long term? We already KNOW he's going to dominate in the VFL so what happens next? He goes back to VFL, gets 45 posessions and comes back for Hawthorn?

Reid has the size but I don't think he is a good forward. His little time in the forward line hasn't been convincing but agree he does draw attention away from Darcy. As a froward I prefer White as he is more mobile and can chop out in the Ruck. Reid does give us more options as the Sack could also rotate forward with him at times.

There's a lot of outrage in this thread! First and foremost we should be rapt that two important senior guys in Goldy and Reid are back in. Secondly I'm glad that Smith was omitted, I'd almost go as far as saying he cost us the game vs Melbourne.

Regarding Langdon vs Shaz, I personally would have picked Scharenberg, but can understand that they're aiming to give both guys a block of 2-3 games to see how they go. In Shaz's 3 games he was just OK, nothing special but showed a few glimpses. I think Langdon's return was better than many made it out to be, and also think Scharenberg seems professional enough to handle this well. It's not the end of the world and I don't think it means anything long term. Let's just see how it all plays out.

I think we should win the game, the changes are favourable for us and not so much for Port, as they've lost both Polec and Broadbent who are important players for them. The factor that worries me the most is that we're coming off the bye and they're not, need to start well, a flat start could kill our chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back