Discussion Changes for Round 22 (Essendon at TD, Sunday Twilight)

Remove this Banner Ad

Could be a dangerous idea, but during the finals our key players are unlikely to get much rest.
So rest some of our older key players so they can go into the finals blazing:
Out - Lenny, Harves, King.
In - X, Ball , Mc Qualter

Kosi and Blake can handle the ruck with Hille out.
Of the fringe players they are playing for a spot in the finals.

I would love to give Nick R a rest but I am not sure we could win any games without him!

Another :thumbsu: for Tassie.

Surely one of the boys needs a rest, but no-one will want to give up their spot in Round 22.

CJ's had 25 touches and four tackles, so hard to see that he should be dropped. There are some signs of bad habits creeping back with the handballing (the guys set each other up a number of times with floaty air-ball handpasses), but his kicking is better and he nearly pulled off another run-down which we don't do enough.

For two weeks running Chucky has had 5 kicks and 5 handballs. With Kosi struggling we need someone who is capable of greater output.

Some tough selection decisions for sure.

Pretty happy with the team that played on the weekend. Don't want to see any injury hampered player rushed back into the side at the expense of anyone who played against the crows with the exception of Luke Ball and for him i'd drop Eddy. Also do not want to see Charlie Gardiner dropped in any way, no ifs, no buts. He provides a strong marking forward option for us. We cannot and i repeat we cannot just expect Saint Nick to mark everything and them some for us to win games.

So

In. Ball (if hes available)
Out. Eddy

Otherwise, leave the team unchanged, that mixture worked very well, why mess with it?

The more I think about it, the more I think leave Bally out for the week. I want that hammy nice and healthy for the finals. It's only Essendon (I know, I know, famous last words). And the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of resting King for M Gardiner - King will be happy for the rest coming into the finals, and Gardiner is MORE than capable of filling his shoes for the game, and will then have senior match practice for the game. I'm ALMOST tempted, if we're talking of resting players, to rest MAXY - give those old legs (so prone to injury!) a bit of a breather... mind you, the whole resting thing just irks me in the gut.

CJ is fine, and yes he's doing those annoying floating handpasses that allow oppositions to get to the receiver for a tackle, but to quote Matty Drain, "He's not the lone ranger there!" His tackling is starting to make opposition players THINK about being tackled, just like Bally's, Lenny's and (when he's fit) Xavier's does - and that is half the battle. You watch - next year, St Kilda will be rivaling Geelong and Collingwood for most effective tacklers in the game (Armo will just add to this hugely too!).

If Xavier is going to be any part of the finals campaign, he HAS to play this week. There is simply no way he'll be included in a sudden-death final (and they'll all be those - 4th spot is basically an impossibility) with no seniors game-time.

I just don't see why Chuck is so necessary for our forward line structure, especially with 5 kicks a game. Punter, based on your 6-man structure, can't it work like this: our 2 talls will be Roo and Kosi, 2 mid-sizes will be Raph and Gwilt, and 2 smalls be Milne and Schneider, with Xavier a surprise package as well? Doesn't that work?

So, my ins (as of Tuesday at least, recognising I'm already changing, and may well do it again during the week...) :

In: Mini, Xavier (if fit), MAYBE M Gardiner
Out: Eddy, C Gardiner, MAYBE King

The more I think about it, the more I think leave Bally out for the week. I want that hammy nice and healthy for the finals. It's only Essendon (I know, I know, famous last words). And the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of resting King for M Gardiner - King will be happy for the rest coming into the finals, and Gardiner is MORE than capable of filling his shoes for the game, and will then have senior match practice for the game. I'm ALMOST tempted, if we're talking of resting players, to rest MAXY - give those old legs (so prone to injury!) a bit of a breather... mind you, the whole resting thing just irks me in the gut.

CJ is fine, and yes he's doing those annoying floating handpasses that allow oppositions to get to the receiver for a tackle, but to quote Matty Drain, "He's not the lone ranger there!" His tackling is starting to make opposition players THINK about being tackled, just like Bally's, Lenny's and (when he's fit) Xavier's does - and that is half the battle. You watch - next year, St Kilda will be rivaling Geelong and Collingwood for most effective tacklers in the game (Armo will just add to this hugely too!).

If Xavier is going to be any part of the finals campaign, he HAS to play this week. There is simply no way he'll be included in a sudden-death final (and they'll all be those - 4th spot is basically an impossibility) with no seniors game-time.

I just don't see why Chuck is so necessary for our forward line structure, especially with 5 kicks a game. Punter, based on your 6-man structure, can't it work like this: our 2 talls will be Roo and Kosi, 2 mid-sizes will be Raph and Gwilt, and 2 smalls be Milne and Schneider, with Xavier a surprise package as well? Doesn't that work?

So, my ins (as of Tuesday at least, recognising I'm already changing, and may well do it again during the week...) :

In: Mini, Xavier (if fit), MAYBE M Gardiner
Out: Eddy, C Gardiner, MAYBE King

Percy, i reckon its got to be Mini for Birss. They are too similar to both play. Eddy is going ok, but maybe could use a rest (we are in no position to tell). Bally has to play - at the expense of Chuck.

news just in guys.... essendon are holding try outs on thursday to fill the remaining 3 spots in their team for sundays game!!!! so if anyone interested call essendon football club on (03) 9230 0335

i think the person to drop atm would actually be kozi... give some one else a go wiether it be gardiner or gehrig

its hard to take anyone out for ball because well the midfield is playing at an elite level..
maybe raph clarke???? and play ball in as a forward to ease him back in or if hes not fit x clarke??? although on the weekend he brought a fair bit to the table so who knows

Top idea to have X in forward line. He knows how to get his hands on the ball, which is what we need up there atm.
Let's hope Max gets through the match. He'll be in for a tough day on Lloyd.

It would be foolish to play Ball. He only started to jog last week so his hammy would be lucky to be ready for next week let alone this week. I like the idea of M. Gardiner in for King and giving Max and Lenny a spell as especially Lenny doesn't look 100% fit. For X to play finals he has to play this week but not as Birss expense.

It would be foolish to play Ball. He only started to jog last week so his hammy would be lucky to be ready for next week let alone this week. I like the idea of M. Gardiner in for King and giving Max and Lenny a spell as especially Lenny doesn't look 100% fit. For X to play finals he has to play this week but not as Birss expense.

I like the idea but I reckon we might be getting a bit disrespectful to the Bombers if we go in without Ball, Lenny, and Max. But then again it would give a good indication on who can cut it best out of X, Raph, Birss , Jones, McQualter etc. It would be good to into the finals with a full on Lenny.

Harvey really appreciated the mid-year break, but right now he may be savouring his last few games. I guess the trainers/selectors would know best who could use a rest, but It would make sense to rest some of them.
( So our unimaginative selecters probably wont even think about it).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lucky you've got those youthful eyes Armo - you'll need 'em from row T. But as usual with these games the crowd will be lower than anticipated and you'll be able to find a better seat.

Can't believe the game is on Pox Footy. Gotta suck up again to watch on someone else's TV - only just did it v Freo and he's a bloody Essendon supporter!!! :mad:

need support ?

Maybe a tissue.

He's used to my ravings, which only increase in front of a TV (either becuase I saw something behind play and the commentators missed it, or they are just plain sh!t).

His uncle is a good St Kilda man who watches with us, and notwithstanding my language and him being married to a Salvo we seem to get along OK!

As an aside he laid a bet whilst I was there - Freo/Freo/StK/StK on the quarter by quarter scores at $17. Only put a buck on it though (he's the king of weird $1 bets)!!!

Can't believe the game is on Pox Footy. Gotta suck up again to watch on someone else's TV - only just did it v Freo and he's a bloody Essendon supporter!!! :mad:

I'll be at the game Squizz. I'll give you the keys and you can watch it ay my joint. Just make sure the fridge is full of little brown bottles when you leave :thumbsu:

X is fine. Had 3 games with Casey and was not played to provide options on the day. If you saw the guard of honour you might have noticed him in his training tracky - so he was ready to go if required. They went with Birss for Mini which worked out OK.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back