Prediction Changes for Round 8 vs Carlton

Status
Not open for further replies.
You boys reckon you'll bring Sier in straight up?

(Also not asking for flog AFL Fantasy purposes)
No. He’ll need to force his way in through the VFL.

HFF

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Liverpool, FC Bayern
Good common sense from Nathan to leave Cox out another week.

Wonderful to get another look at Reid.
If he fires, then personally Cox through the VFL could be an realistic option and a good problem to have.
After all- he isn’t Travis Cloke walk up start- particularly if we have better form players.
Mihocek out of all 3 is the only certainty in terms of a lock because he offers so much more as a whole.

As for this week- one change- two at most is about right.

Adams out- any of Aish or Varcoe in can work.

I’d leave Mayne out for another week or through the VFL if they really want to give him a run.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Nah, they are not happy with something about him, he's not at his 2018 form and is not having much impact at 2nds level before he was out. He's going to have to prove himself worthy of selection again, no matter how handy an inclusion he looks on paper there's been all sorts of issues with him this year.

Sier had one VFL game and was alright with >20 disposals. I agree he won't come straight in but don't agree re: his impact when he played.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sier had one VFL game and was alright with >20 disposals. I agree he won't come straight in but don't agree re: his impact when he played.

I didn't see it I'm just going off reports from those here that he spent a lot of time running to where the ball wasn't and seemed a bit out of sorts... didn't see it though. But Bucks has said himself he needs to do a bit of work first.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wells a Chance?
Based on his ability to play a couple of games without breaking down and being able to contribute?

No, not yet we need to see a few more ressies games to have some faith in his durability before committing 1 of 22 spots to him.

Fit and focused he's worth almost 2 but not yet.

SwanDaneFan1991

Emeritus Boot Studding Professor
Jul 20, 2012
The Pivotonian Wilderness
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Whilst hate is a strong word, I dislike Robinson.
Simply because I don’t respect him.

He slurs, looks like an unkept bed, has no original thoughts, and isn’t good at what he does. Does not come across as professional and with decency lacking.
That and he has a lower thresh hold of integrity.

He likes dogs, so at least that’s a tick.
But the serious question is, does he have a fascination for ponies? :think:

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is such a tough one now, before it was likely Wills for Adams, but now you have to assess if either or both of Mayne and Aish are ready to go or need a run in the magoos to get the miles in the legs. Mayne has been out over a month if you don't count the game he lasted 2 mins. Aish only missed a couple.

Mayne is straight in. Only question is whether he needs another week off.

No vfl for him either way unless the club wants to expose him to limited minutes, which I don’t see any sense in

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

No vfl for him either way unless the club wants to expose him to limited minutes, which I don’t see any sense in
If he was borderline, I’d have no issue of say half a game, or three quarters in the VFL just to test how his back feels and how it absorbs pressure in game conditions.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
If he was borderline, I’d have no issue of say half a game, or three quarters in the VFL just to test how his back feels and how it absorbs pressure in game conditions.

With a bone it's either fixed or it's not, he shouldn't have any lingering issues but it's just a matter of when it heals. Hopefully he hasn't lost conditioning being laid up though.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
With a bone it's either fixed or it's not, he shouldn't have any lingering issues but it's just a matter of when it heals. Hopefully he hasn't lost conditioning being laid up though.
You might be right, he’s a tough cookie is Mayne.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood

If he was borderline I’d sit him out of everything personally. Then bring him straight into the seniors next week .

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
If he was borderline I’d sit him out of everything personally. Then bring him straight into the seniors next week .
Fair enough.

The back thing always frightens me, so glad once he’s fully better.

Aug 25, 2007
Gladstone Qld
AFL Club
Collingwood
Getting the 2nd pair to celebrate the win.. f luv em re.. would have gone the first pair.. but have em.. for comfort weight design and ****.. can't beat em.

They're f great re..

View attachment 669253

Getting a 2nd pair to celebrate the win.. f luv em re.. for comfort weight design and ****.. can't beat em.

They're f great re..
slippers-as-ugg-popo-unisex-moccasins-slippers-15607-4_grande.jpg

Based on his ability to play a couple of games without breaking down and being able to contribute?

No, not yet we need to see a few more ressies games to have some faith in his durability before committing 1 of 22 spots to him.

Fit and focused he's worth almost 2 but not yet.
A question for VFL watchers. Have you noticed if Wells has been running both ways and applying acceptable pressure.

Jafo

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
No go for Cox again this week.

Mayne under consideration if trains well and pulls up alright (remarkable recovery if so).

Sier ready to resume in vfl.

Scharenberg training with main group again.

Looks like Reid stays in and only one or two changes at best. Or no change barring Adams.

I think that's what the club will do. I love Mayne for his attitude, but Sidey and Phillips on the wings is pretty awesome. He needs the Adams and Sier injuries to move Sidey into the guts and make what i consider our best line up.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Fair enough.

The back thing always frightens me, so glad once he’s fully better.

It’s not a “ back thing” in the back related hamstring/calf/groin sense of the word. It’s a chipped bone that heals quickly and leaves no lingering injury risks.

So if it’s healed he’s good to go in the seniors. If it’s not, then playing vfl is pointless. Maybe another week of nothing to be safe but it won’t shock me to see him selected.

swoop42

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
The 18
AFL Club
Collingwood
As is our habit I kind of feel we can get to caught up in the story of a player at times and it skews the opinion on them.

Cox is the obvious example of a player more heralded for his performance because of his unique background rather than the strength and consistency of those performances week in week out.

Now we have Chris Mayne who has gone from being widely derided in his first season to winning back the respect of the supporter group last year.

While it was a feel good story of redemption for a likeable player that can easily tip over into fan worship and he becomes a bit of a protected species.

Now let me qualify that statement by saying I thought Mayne was playing some good hard contested football before he was injured but his eventual return will not aid us when it comes to quick transition and if it removes Phillips from the position he needs to fill on the wing it's not ideal.

Mayne's last full game was against West Coast, a game in which we outworked at the coal face and exposed on the spread and not for the first time.

While my memory is of Mayne being one of our better performers that night I would like to hope our much hyped midfield will eventually get their act together and do a better job of matching or bettering the intensity of quality midfield groups like a West Coast or Geelong.

I guess my whole point is that while Mayne should be respected I would guard against him being seen as vitally important to our Premiership chances with his position not being questioned if his form slips or we feel we would be better served removing his hard nosed approach with some outside run and polish.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
As is our habit I kind of feel we can get to caught up in the story of a player at times and it skews the opinion on them.

Cox is the obvious example of a player more heralded for his performance because of his unique background rather than the strength and consistency of those performances week in week out.

Now we have Chris Mayne who has gone from being widely derided in his first season to winning back the respect of the supporter group last year.

While it was a feel good story of redemption for a likeable player that can easily tip over into fan worship and he becomes a bit of a protected species.

Now let me qualify that statement by saying I thought Mayne was playing some good hard contested football before he was injured but his eventual return will not aid us when it comes to quick transition and if it removes Phillips from the position he needs to fill on the wing it's not ideal.

Mayne's last full game was against West Coast, a game in which we outworked at the coal face and exposed on the spread and not for the first time.

While my memory is of Mayne being one of our better performers that night I would like to hope our much hyped midfield will eventually get their act together and do a better job of matching or bettering the intensity of quality midfield groups like a West Coast or Geelong.

I guess my whole point is that while Mayne should be respected I would guard against him being seen as vitally important to our Premiership chances with his position not being questioned if his form slips or we feel we would be better served removing his hard nosed approach with some outside run and polish.

Silly comments.

He’s replacing Adams for one and he’s better than brown for two. Easily best 22 but will have to keep performing to stay that way. That’s true of everybody.

Phillips will stay on the wing whilst Sidey can play anywhere.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
It’s not a “ back thing” in the back related hamstring/calf/groin sense of the word. It’s a chipped bone that heals quickly and leaves no lingering injury risks.

So if it’s healed he’s good to go in the seniors. If it’s not, then playing vfl is pointless. Maybe another week of nothing to be safe but it won’t shock me to see him selected.
I didn’t think of it that way. You’re correct just the bone. Now makes sense.

I think you’re spot on, once the bone heals, off he goes.

I obviously didn’t think it through or grasp the actual issue. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back