Preview Changes/Preview v GWS in Alice

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reckon JVR is more managed than omitted tbh. Give him a week off and a week or two of VFL then have him back in and hitting his straps for finals. If they're convinced BBB's knees will hold up then having them tested out and JVR freshened up could be a great move come finals.

Apparently some issues with Tommo on the training track so not surprised he's not back in.

Rapt to see Bowza back, would be even more rapt if they tried him forward, although perhaps that has to wait until Clarry is back and Clangers Brayshaw is out of the middle.

It would be nice this week if May didn't bomb it to the left every kick out. Can't remember the last time Max marked one there and we seem to just turn it over for a quick re-entry. Not to mention it's incredibly predictable for the opposition to set up for.
This is the sort of stupid stuff that has crept back into our game. Boring, predictable, and not even very effective.
This is why I would like to see Gawn on one wing/halfback flank as an outlet mark. Grundy either in the centre or opposite wing, for the same reason. And Petty mixing with Grundy as an outlet mark.

There we have 3 talls covering all angles for the kicker, to exit D50.

Picket should be roving these packs, with his speed helping to getaway or shutdown turnovers.

Fritta should play high as the next link in any chain coming forward. Around the F50 arc.

This is why I would like to see Gawn on one wing/halfback flank as an outlet mark. Grundy either in the centre or opposite wing, for the same reason. And Petty mixing with Grundy as an outlet mark.

There we have 3 talls covering all angles for the kicker, to exit D50.

Picket should be roving these packs, with his speed helping to getaway or shutdown turnovers.

Fritta should play high as the next link in any chain coming forward. Around the F50 arc.

It's literally the least of our problems, we're rated no 1 in the league in this area.

50-80m out is where the issue is. Taking a mark and then going slow and holding it up is the exact opposite of what you want when the forward 50 strategy is chaos ball. Play on from that part of the ground and it changes that scenario.

Gus can go in the bin and Bowey can come back.
That's not going to happen though, Goody doubled down on Gus in the midfield being good in an AFL article today.
Gus is almost indispensable for his defensive game, but then is so i=untidy when he has the ball, using it poorly too often. Turnovers.
But he is not alone in that.

Someone should get Brayshaw an Apple Turnover sponsorship.!!!

Gus is almost indispensable for his defensive game, but then is so i=untidy when he has the ball, using it poorly too often. Turnovers.
But he is not alone in that.

Someone should get Brayshaw an Apple Turnover sponsorship.!!!
Angus tries too many short kicks near the boundary that either go to the oppo/over the line for a free. He doesn't play within his limitations and causes turnovers.

It's literally the least of our problems, we're rated no 1 in the league in this area.

50-80m out is where the issue is. Taking a mark and then going slow and holding it up is the exact opposite of what you want when the forward 50 strategy is chaos ball. Play on from that part of the ground and it changes that scenario.
Well Max has barely got hands to the ball off kickout kicks. He gets monster-ed out there. So then we are defending mostly from that situation and the ball comes back into our D50 at angles, often thru the corridor.
This kills our defence.

Our use by hand when the ball comes off Max's hands in this area, is mostly stymied, through poor use of handball to players under pressure.

This is where our transition comes unstuck; Thru wing area to around the F50.
And this is why picket struggles because he's often played as the deep go to in the next link of the chain. Picket deep with a opponent doesn't work that often, because we kick it onto his head.

Well Max has barely got hands to the ball off kickout kicks. He gets monster-ed out there. So then we are defending mostly from that situation and the ball comes back into our D50 at angles, often thru the corridor.
This kills our defence.

Mate, the stats say literally the opposite of that.

This is where our transition comes unstuck; Thru wing area to around the F50.
And this is why picket struggles because he's often played as the deep go to in the next link of the chain. Picket deep with a opponent doesn't work that often, because we kick it onto his head.

Agree on this, and as above in my post, I believe the issue is we're stopping too often. We've got a chaos ball game plan with an overthinking 'oh no forward connection' mindset - just play on and kick it long and embrace the chaos, don't stop and wait for the defence to setup and then kick it long anyway.

Angus tries too many short kicks near the boundary that either go to the oppo/over the line for a free. He doesn't play within his limitations and causes turnovers.
They try too hard to flip the ball on, too rapidly... causing stupid errors. I prefer to see them use their legs to get their bodies in a position to give a skilled handball or kick, on to a running teammate.

And often they go with a 20mtr handpass, rather than a short kick to do the same.

Mate, the stats say literally the opposite of that.

Agree on this, and as above in my post, I believe the issue is we're stopping too often. We've got a chaos ball game plan with an overthinking 'oh no forward connection' mindset - just play on and kick it long and embrace the chaos, don't stop and wait for the defence to setup and then kick it long anyway.
Stats, can't you see whats going on, without stats to point at some imaginary thesis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stats, can't you see whats going on, without stats to point at some imaginary thesis.

I can see what's going on and I can also see the stats that back it up.

All you have is imagined rage because you saw something happen once or twice and the facts don't back it up.

Reckon JVR is more managed than omitted tbh. Give him a week off and a week or two of VFL then have him back in and hitting his straps for finals. If they're convinced BBB's knees will hold up then having them tested out and JVR freshened up could be a great move come finals.

Apparently some issues with Tommo on the training track so not surprised he's not back in.

Rapt to see Bowza back, would be even more rapt if they tried him forward, although perhaps that has to wait until Clarry is back and Clangers Brayshaw is out of the middle.

I am thinking the same for JVR.

I do like Brown, JVR, Fritsch, Chandler, Spargo with Gawn and Kozzie making guest appearances. . But having Brown in will help JVR, should they play together, I think he could nail it against the third best tall defender at this early stage of his career.

Did I see a stat saying Petracca has been targeted 13 times in the F50 and he's scored 12 times from those 13? Granted, most are probably behinds, but when Clarry is back I want to see him spend more time forward. He's a beast.

Last edited:
No-one is more annoyed about Brown coming in than me but JVR is omitted and not managed. His inability to time his jumping is bloody frustrating. He's been jumping half an hour early on many of his mark attempts.

We are shocking at developing forward at AFL level. For some reason we do it well at Casey then we destroy them once they get into the 1s.
Because our stupid game plan is about maximising midfield numbers and protecting the defence. Bailey Fritsch is probably the best forward in the league the fact he can average 2 goals a game in our forward line.

I was hunting magic mushrooms at a local park while Eddie Betts was playing with all four (five?) of his kids simultaneously. Super effort I thought, he was running around like a madman entertaining them all. Made all the other dads except me look lazy af (I was multi-tasking too see). Anyway I did catch Eddie peeking during a game of hide and seek with one of the little ones. Was gonna call him out on it but thought it would be a bit weird. Did lose a little bit of respect for him though… cheating is cheating.

Still love the grear man though.

Last edited:
How do you even get excited about this team lol
Below the best in the league, out of form and struggling for goals and we bring in blokes who's careers are almost over who's ceiling are C grade at best.
Like let's fail in the most boring ******* way possible

Ben Brown in is intriguing.
Hope he has a ripper.

Don’t mind JVR being dropped or rested, I barely noticed him last couple of games.

Noticed a lot of people on Demonland calling for Brown to be named? Though that was interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back