Preview Changes: R10 2019 v West Coast - NOW WITH POLL!

Will the match committee opt for Jenkins or Himmelberg this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You say "don't perform and you'll be back in the 2s and out of the club at years end". If you don't think clubs give players ultimatums then you're very naive.

What is the result from ultimatums?

They get rewarded in $$$ to play to the best they can, they fail, those rewards eventually stop, its not like 1973 when the coach yelled at them, they understand the consequences of their efforts. Which is why Im pretty sure they are just not trying, as some think

They seriously don't need to be told about the consequences of their performances they are fully aware of them

Get the feeling Hartigan will miss with concussion. Opens the door for Fogarty to play down back.

With the Eagles tall forward line we have little choice.

Fogarty first game as a stand alone forward last week. Ironic if he plays defence in the ones. He forced them to play him tight. Weakened thier zone. I think he's only been playing half back and Midfield to teach him workrate. He just has that thing walker had at the same age. That same aura the other great center half forward we had from north Melbourne.

Macaveney made some mad calls of modra in his day. You can imagine the way they will say fogarty, when he rips big games apart.

Otten can handle thier slowest big forward. They will endeavour to drag keath deep. He just switches with Otten, if they try and drag Otten out.

I don't think they'll pick seedsman. He was taking it very easy on the knee when kicking. There was two goals in the last quarter you expected him to nail. Just took that step to far trying to be secure in his action and footing.

Douglas has done many a pre season so he will be match fit enough after a long break. Expect him to come back in.

Im happy to see EH stay in and learn, don't tell me you don't cop hits playing at CHF and get yourself up to attack the next contest hes been doing thaT since he was a kid and against men in the SANFL

I agree you will get more output from JJ, the club will probably go that way until they realise if they will or wont challenge this year, then try and give EH more time in the ones, even if he is inconsistent, which is why he played like he did on the weekend, and that inconsistency will eventually leave him, but it will take time

Problem is Himmelberg has struggle several times to run out a game. and the Only difference I can see is he playing 20% on ball running from contest to contest and getting hit by the bigger bodies. Last year he did not do that and even in the SANFL.
As a CHF they may get 10 to 20 contest hits a game, but as a Ruck they would get a solid contest at every ruck hitout and more if they go for the ball when it hit the ground. Different level of fitness recovery required.

You say "don't perform and you'll be back in the 2s and out of the club at years end". If you don't think clubs give players ultimatums then you're very naive.
Doubt they would give and Ultimatum in the modern climate, a kick in the butt, yes, and he got one by being dropped and having to play well to get back. But an Ultimatum no.

So we are a lock for another Thursday Selection Night Meltdown ?

Douglas, Jenkins and Otten in would cause this place to be burned to the ground.

Problem is Himmelberg has struggle several times to run out a game. and the Only difference I can see is he playing 20% on ball running from contest to contest and getting hit by the bigger bodies. Last year he did not do that and even in the SANFL.
As a CHF they may get 10 to 20 contest hits a game, but as a Ruck they would get a solid contest at every ruck hitout and more if they go for the ball when it hit the ground. Different level of fitness recovery required.

Its simply not fitness, it will be no different to Mchenry coming in and maybe getting 12 possesions and not having a big impact, its not because hes crap its because its his first year in an enormous step up

No point in thinking EH can do what JJ did say being the leading goal kicker and 3rd in the b and F, he may in 3 years time but has a long way to go

How? It's basic maths dude. You can only carry a limited amount of tall forwards (2-3) due to the importance of forward pressure. One is a chop out ruck currently (so 2). You've then paid both tall forwards 600k+ which is a commitment that you are going to play them through their contracts due to how hefty that price is, in which by doing so completely blocks the prospect from a forward role unless one implodes to the point that it is unviable to play them.

If you are talking about Fogarty as a forward, this does completely ruin that prospect because there is no position for him in our forward line for the near future (and prospects like Fog are a ticking time bomb seeing they need AFL game time quickly). Not without really harming our side due to poor salary cap management (and there is nothing more crippling to a club then poor salary cap management.) You never want to be in that situation with a top line prospect, as we are firmly in the position that the best thing we could do is trade Fogarty and try again, or pray he clicks elsewhere (and I prefer midfield due to games being won, or lost there)

This has been nothing short of horrible list management. After all we're trying to convert him to a defender for this reason. We can't give him game time otherwise. You get rid of Lynch, and Fogarty has that starting spot, and 9 more games under his belt.
I know you stick to this line, but it makes no sense.

You would get rid of Lynch ... because we drafted Fogarty.

If you think Fogarty can replace Lynch, then I suggest you aren't watching closely enough.

Using your logic - if by some grace of the gods we get Pick 1 and bring in Matt Rowell - we should immediately get rid of Matt Crouch because he is "blocking the path" of this new talented midfielder? I don't think so.

Didn't he have a stinker in the SANFL?
Definitely not a sinker, he played some good football and looked better for the run, not a pick me game, that some would expect.
Also Would not go on the stats as they rotated regularly thru the middle, But Douglas was the best at winning the stoppage in a team that got smashed at the stoppages.
And Pyke did mention the Crows needed to get better at the stoppages. so he is a chance. Personally, I would not pick him but if Matt is out again he has a chance.

Its simply not fitness, it will be no different to Mchenry coming in and maybe getting 12 possesions and not having a big impact, its not because hes crap its because its his first year in an enormous step up

No point in thinking EH can do what JJ did say being the leading goal kicker and 3rd in the b and F, he may in 3 years time but has a long way to go
Not talking about getting numbers talking about running the game out. Himmelberg has struggled at times this year, during quarters as well,
He needs to build a stronger tank and using his experience from the AFL and the data they gain they can know work on how to improve that area. He also needs a few more kilos but that a different story.

Not talking about getting numbers talking about running the game out. Himmelberg has struggled at times this year, during quarters as well,
He needs to build a stronger tank and using his experience from the AFL and the data they gain they can know work on how to improve that area. He also needs a few more kilos but that a different story.

Hes been in the system 4 years, he played the other games fine he just lost his way, it happens, I hope they leave him in to prove himself but I dont think they will

Hes been in the system 4 years, he played the other games fine he just lost his way, it happens, I hope they leave him in to prove himself but I dont think they will
Yes and that is a Worry, But he has struggled more than once I even mention it on BF, decide not to bring it up again but thought other would have seen the issue against Port and Brisbane.
personally, he needs to improve his body to handle the different level of toughness required at AFL more so for a forward/ruck. or he will not make it. because as a key forward he behind Fogerty, he only in the team due to the dual role he is playing.

Yes and that is a Worry, But he has struggled more than once I even mention it on BF, decide not to bring it up again but thought other would have seen the issue against Port and Brisbane.
personally, he needs to improve his body to handle the different level of toughness required at AFL more so for a forward/ruck. or he will not make it. because as a key forward he behind Fogerty, he only in the team due to the dual role he is playing.

Im not going to say it wont be wise to get more experience in the SANFL, but theres no reason you cant fast track that in the AFL either.

A cautious approach would see it done in the SANFL and maybe ruck him 50% of the time you cant do that in the AFL realistically

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not going to say it wont be wise to get more experience in the SANFL, but theres no reason you cant fast track that in the AFL either.

A cautious approach would see it done in the SANFL and maybe ruck him 50% of the time you cant do that in the AFL realistically

Yea I would like to him spend more time in the ruck along with Strachan, he needs to develop that part of his game more.

Fogarty first game as a stand alone forward last week. Ironic if he plays defence in the ones. He forced them to play him tight. Weakened thier zone. I think he's only been playing half back and Midfield to teach him workrate. He just has that thing walker had at the same age. That same aura the other great center half forward we had from north Melbourne.

Macaveney made some mad calls of modra in his day. You can imagine the way they will say fogarty, when he rips big games apart.

Otten can handle thier slowest big forward. They will endeavour to drag keath deep. He just switches with Otten, if they try and drag Otten out.

I don't think they'll pick seedsman. He was taking it very easy on the knee when kicking. There was two goals in the last quarter you expected him to nail. Just took that step to far trying to be secure in his action and footing.

Douglas has done many a pre season so he will be match fit enough after a long break. Expect him to come back in.

Agreed on Seedsman.

Yea I would like to him spend more time in the ruck along with Strachan, he needs to develop that part of his game more.

It was worth while giving him a run to discover this, some need to realise though that most youngsters are simply not going to come in and dominate as we have seen now with EH, Fog, Gooch, Jones , Pohlkoke

It simply takes time

Players like Mackay JJ Atkins Harto aren't brilliant but will no doubt have more output

AFLCA votes Round 9 vs Brisbane

Votes

Player (Club)

Lachlan Neale (BL)

Charlie Cameron (BL)

Dayne Zorko (BL)

Harris Andrews (BL)

Brad Crouch (ADEL)

Daniel Rich (BL)

3 out of 30 in 1 point loss?

Wow
Not really I thought Brisbane were the better side for major parts of the game, the positive for me was the way we hung in there and nearly pulled it out of the fire in the end against a very improved talented young team on their home deck.

Fog forward and Keath down back.

Most quality rucks spend 90% tog
ROB has a dodgy ankle & may be coming up against 2 ruckmen & Keath has a hip issue, so not the wisest move this week...

Pressure for spots is immense.

The one move I wouldn't make is bringing Jenkins back in after one good game in 4 or 5 now. If he can back it up, maybe.

Atkins has to go. Was awful for 3 and a half quarters.

Gallucci better this week but maybe not enough to save him.

Still wonder if we can carry both Hartigan and Kelly in these sorts of high pressure games.

Greenwood terrible but was he bad enough?

Matt Crouch and Seedsman should come straight back in.

A loss and Jenkins kicking 6 = JJ call up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 out of 30 in 1 point loss?

Wow
Brisbane were all over us like a cheap suit in the quarter I watched.

Our defense did an amazing job considering the easy ball our mids were letting through. Scoreboard flattered us.

Considering our talent and experience it should've been a fairly straightforward win if the players did their jobs so not surprised if Pyke gave all his votes to Brisbane

Back