Preview Changes: R8 vs Port Adelaide, 2024 - Curtin Call?

Will Curtin come in this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Even with no curtin debut?

Yup.

We are coming off a 50 point win leading into a Showdown. Pressure has eased up slightly on Nicks this week.

If we lose the Showdown we go to 2 wins and 6 losses with another loss on the National stage and 10 days until the next match.

IMO the club would have been much smarter to sit on the Sloane retirement and if we lost - release it on Sunday night /Monday Morning - then you really only have to ride the negative press for a full day (Friday) before the the other news footy stories take over from the weekend. Then on Monday / Tuesday - the club celebrates the lovable ex-captains sad early retirement and all he has done for the club - rather than have a full week of spotlight on losing a showdown.

Yup.

We are coming off a 50 point win leading into a Showdown. Pressure has eased up slightly on Nicks this week.

If we lose the Showdown we go to 2 wins and 6 losses with another loss on the National stage and 10 days until the next match.

IMO the club would have been much smarter to sit on the Sloane retirement and if we lost - release it on Sunday night /Monday Morning - then you really only have to ride the negative press for a full day (Friday) before the the other news footy stories take over from the weekend. Then on Monday / Tuesday - the club celebrates the lovable ex-captains sad early retirement and all he has done for the club - rather than have a full week of spotlight on losing a showdown.
lol, you think this would come into Nicks thinking? I’m no fan of Nicks but this wouldn’t be a consideration.

If anything Sloane announcing it now should see the team be super pumped on Thursday night and could give us the edge.

lol, you think this would come into Nicks thinking? I’m no fan of Nicks but this wouldn’t be a consideration.

I don't think that this would come into Nicks thinking hence the Sloane retirement coming out this week.

I don't think our PR team is overly clever. This is a club that announced his 2 year extension after we lost in rd 1 to try and reduce external pressure. The Same PR team that was releasing articles about Rachele playing midfield and he had 6 CBA's in the first 6 weeks of the season.

If I was Matty Nicks - I would be doing all I can to control messages and keep the pressure off of myself.

If anything Sloane announcing it now should see the team be super pumped on Thursday night and could give us the edge.

I am sure there is plenty of other motivation for a 2-5 team to play in a primetime slot in front of 50,000+ against the clubs biggest rival.

Last edited:
You would think that if Curtin was going to debut the club would have held off on the Sloane retirement and that would have been the key media piece prior to the showdown.

I guess there is still time for it this morning. Fingers crossed.

Many clubs would relish the symmetry of retiring a champion of the club and debuting a potential future one in the same week.

Many clubs would relish the symmetry of retiring a champion of the club and debuting a potential future one in the same week.
the lion king GIF by Walt Disney Records

Circle of life!

Next three weeks will define the season.

Port(H), Lions (H), Pies (A). First things first - get the ******* pill and stick through the goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kane doesn’t realise that North supporters won’t stop calling JHF a mummy’s boy while he’s still got his “mummy” asking them to leave him alone

Back