Opinion Changes v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

If the light show doesn’t give you a seizure the playing arena will strip the calcium straight out your bones. #soperthlikesoperth

It's been raining all weekend and is forecast to rain all week ... might soften up the deck a little.

Howard should play where he would be of greatest value to the team. Right now, that's as a KPF. If Dixon returns, Howard's most valuable contribution will probably be in defence.

In: Charlie Dixon, Hamish Hartlett, Tom Rockliff, Ollie Wines
Out: Matthew Broadbent, Sam Gray, Jarrod Lienert, Riley Bonner

B: Ryan Burton ~ Tom Clurey ~ Darcy Byrne-Jones
HB: Tom Jonas ~ Dougal Howard ~ Hamish Hartlett
C: Xavier Duursma ~ Ollie Wines ~ Dan Houston
HF: Connor Rozee ~ Charlie Dixon ~ Steven Motlop
F: Robbie Gray ~ Paddy Ryder ~ Justin Westhoff
Fol: Scott Lycett ~ Sam Powell-Pepper ~ Travis Boak

I/C: Tom Rockliff ~ Zak Butters ~ Kane Farrell ~ Karl Amon
i disagree, Dixon and Howard could be a very potent combination, if one doesnt get you the other one will, 2 big guys crashing packs all day is a point of difference other clubs dont have and defences dont plan for

Howard should play where he would be of greatest value to the team. Right now, that's as a KPF. If Dixon returns, Howard's most valuable contribution will probably be in defence.

In: Charlie Dixon, Hamish Hartlett, Tom Rockliff, Ollie Wines
Out: Matthew Broadbent, Sam Gray, Jarrod Lienert, Riley Bonner

B: Ryan Burton ~ Tom Clurey ~ Darcy Byrne-Jones
HB: Tom Jonas ~ Dougal Howard ~ Hamish Hartlett
C: Xavier Duursma ~ Ollie Wines ~ Dan Houston
HF: Connor Rozee ~ Charlie Dixon ~ Steven Motlop
F: Robbie Gray ~ Paddy Ryder ~ Justin Westhoff
Fol: Scott Lycett ~ Sam Powell-Pepper ~ Travis Boak

I/C: Tom Rockliff ~ Zak Butters ~ Kane Farrell ~ Karl Amon
Bonner just had his best game in 18 months. He should stay in. Lienert is in better form than Hartlett also.

Edit: Also I'd rather have Dixon and Howard up forward with Hoff roaming instead of Howard back and Hoff being terrible up forward.

Under wet weather this year we've actually won three out of four games, I guess five if you count the showdown but I don't.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No not Lienert!

We were so overstacked with defenders that we named him at half forward against Saint Kilda. We simply don't need him with Jonas back in the team.

Bonner out after 3 goals and a 70 point win!! Nup
SGray will stay in ahead of Farrell
Not sure Hammer comes in yet
However after playing 9 defenders last week, which was something I would have never thought possible, who knows.
Really enjoying selection at the moment.

Hartlett has to come in at some point. He's our VC and played 2 games in the SANFL now. He's as ready as he's going to get. Someone has to go out, and I doubt it'll be any of Burton, DBJ or Houston. Sam is probably ahead of Farrell in Ken's mind but I'd rather have Farrell and his superb kicking in over Sam.

i disagree, Dixon and Howard could be a very potent combination, if one doesnt get you the other one will, 2 big guys crashing packs all day is a point of difference other clubs dont have and defences dont plan for

We have the option of rotating Howard forward if need be and we probably should if we have aerial dominance in defence against Freo. This will give us a quadrangle of doom.

Bonner just had his best game in 18 months. He should stay in. Lienert is in better form than Hartlett also.

Edit: Also I'd rather have Dixon and Howard up forward with Hoff roaming instead of Howard back and Hoff being terrible up forward.

I'd rather play our A team instead of keeping depth in the side. If Hartlett isn't selected for AFL duties, we should seriously consider trading him. Bonner is a casualty of 4 top line players returning and an overstacked defence needing to be rebalanced. Howard would be great up forward if our defence isn't too impaired by his absence.

I'd rather play our A team instead of keeping depth in the side. If Hartlett isn't selected for AFL duties, we should seriously consider trading him. Bonner is a casualty of 4 top line players returning and an overstacked defence needing to be rebalanced. Howard would be great up forward if our defence isn't too impaired by his absence.
Hammer just needs to get a rhythm going, his season has been fairly stop-start. Long term injury, 2 games, a several week injury, played vs Glenelg and was in the middle in the last quarter, then straight away had a bye, then in the back pocket vs Sturt.

... 2 big guys crashing packs all day is a point of difference other clubs dont have and defences dont plan for
Without even having to think of all the other clubs that have 2 big guys crashing packs I watched a bit of Sydney v West Coast today and Darling/Kennedy were pantsed. Goals from big forwards crashing packs are rare and teams would be avoiding deliberately trying to engineer this situation.

The players who will be around the mark are Wines, Dixon, Rockliff, Drew, Ladhams and Hartlett. Garner played well but we don’t need another small defender. We will keep the changes to a minimum, so Drew misses out too.

Hartlett, Wines, Dixon and Rockliff come in if they pull up ok from training and are passed fit. SANFL will allow these boys fitness but won’t get them up to AFL speed.

Hartlett for Broadbent. We can only have one slow, HBF who is really there for their leadership abilities and Hammer is the superior of the two.

Wines for Farrell. Butters shifts forward.
Dixon for Lienert, Howard moves to the backline. I would prefer Howard stays forward but if he and Dixon are both playing together up front then one has to play Ryder’s role, and Ryder ain’t getting dropped by Ken.

Rocky is the tough one. He is a pure inside mid. Houston took his spot in the midfield. Dropping Motlop/Amon/Bonner loses an outside mid for an inside mid and upsets our balance. Houston doesn’t get dropped. Robbie and Boak aren’t strong on the outside. I think Rocky for Motlop and push Boak and Houston into outside roles.

And he's not going to get the fitness required for AFL playing in the SANFL.

I'll guarantee that Wines, Dixon and Hartlett will blow up in their first game back no matter how much running they do in the SANFL. If a player doesn't in their first game, it means they are obviously not working hard enough, because the difference in intensity is another level. And I'd rather he does it against Fremantle where we can park him in forward 50 and let Howard do the work when it happens, then against Geelong where we are going to need him fully fit.

He said that Howard gives us flexibility. It all depends on what the match up is.
So basically you want Charlie to do what you bagged Frampton for

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd suggest SPP is in more danger of being dropped for Wines or Drew. No need to risk Rocky.
Charlie is here to play senior footy not SANFL, if he is fit, he plays.
Gunna be tough for one of our small forwards I fear, none of Farrell, Butters or even Gray have been bad
And no to dropping Lienert for Hammer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back