Unofficial Preview Changes v Sydney Swans (Rd 7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The accuracy of the "official" stats on height/weight are dubious but....

Adams - 192cm; 93kg
McStay - 195cm; 100kg

Adams is huge but McStay is a very big unit these days.
Mcstay has still maintained good agility though to his credit.

I know the dogs tried to get Adams to slim down a little, wonder if we have done the same

My main issue with McStay , at this stage, is his hands at ground level. Just cannot grasp the bouncing ball which causes a couple of gilt edged attacks to break down each week. Has to be on very thin ice. Couple more good games from Wooller and he has to get a chance.

G'day gents and gals.
Heading to the Gabba for the first time this weekend. Moved to Brisbane recently so looking forward to catching a few games starting with this one.
I'll probably nab a Lions membership for next season, but for now, i've got a few questions about seating. Do the seats in the top tier above gates 10 and 11 (over that large video advertising screen on the wing) have any restricted viewing at all? I'm tossing up between seats in sections 63-69 (nice) or just setting up behind a set of goals (sect 75). Or do ya'll Gabba veterans have any recommendations?

Hope this game is a cracker, we've had a few good games against each other recently. Really not expecting to win this one, but looking forward to it none the less.

Thanks in advance
Go the swans.

I am getting the impression that Fagan does not like many changes to the team. I really hope the boys in the reserves get their chance during the season if they continue to perform well. I see alot of potential in some of those boys and hope they are given an opportunity. If certain players are not performing in the firsts, you must make changes for the betterment of the team. I read alot of statements about players on this site not performing but fortunately changes were made at the weekend and those players did well. We still have a couple that really need to lift so I hope our selectors give opportunities to those playing consistently in the Neafl.

G'day gents and gals.
Heading to the Gabba for the first time this weekend. Moved to Brisbane recently so looking forward to catching a few games starting with this one.
I'll probably nab a Lions membership for next season, but for now, i've got a few questions about seating. Do the seats in the top tier above gates 10 and 11 (over that large video advertising screen on the wing) have any restricted viewing at all? I'm tossing up between seats in sections 63-69 (nice) or just setting up behind a set of goals (sect 75). Or do ya'll Gabba veterans have any recommendations?

Hope this game is a cracker, we've had a few good games against each other recently. Really not expecting to win this one, but looking forward to it none the less.

Thanks in advance
Go the swans.
We have 6 seats that straddle section 74-75 and love it, virtually straight above the Lions race, been sitting there for 15 years. I do prefer the end to end view that it provides though to the side on/wings view.

RE Dan McStay:

- Equal 15th in the league for contested marks (3rd at the club);
- Equal 18th in the league for marks on the lead (3rd at the club); and
- Equal 23rd for marks inside 50 (3rd at the club).

Whilst I'd agree it would be nice to see him do more, I'd say as far as key forward statistical indicators go, he's doing just fine.

It's just what he does wrong is so noticeable.

^^^^^
This.

Like that horror attempt at goal on Saturday. Because occasionally when he misses , he misses big time. This tends to create recency bias .

In actual fact, his career goal kicking accuracy rate is pretty damn good. Before Saturday's game it was 58G 31B which equates to 65.17%. Yes and I know this doesn't include complete misses.

By way of comparison:-

Eric Hipwood (BL) 87- 64 57.62%

Charlie Curnow (Carl) 61-35 63.54%

Mason Wood (Coll) 61-30 67.03% (but can't kick more than 40 meters)

Matthew Taberner(Freo) 73-39 65.17%

Cam McCarthy( Freo) 90-52 63.38%

Peter Wright (GCS) 72-42 63.15%

Harry Himmelberg (GWS) 43-33 56.58%

James Sicily (Haw) 53-29 64.63%

Jack Newnes (StK) 51-47 52.04%

I can't be bothered doing more but it looks like McStay compares favorably with other players with similar roles who are yet to kick 100 goals

Got all these from here:-

https://afltables.com/afl/afl_index.html

Last edited:
I am getting the impression that Fagan does not like many changes to the team. I really hope the boys in the reserves get their chance during the season if they continue to perform well. I see alot of potential in some of those boys and hope they are given an opportunity. If certain players are not performing in the firsts, you must make changes for the betterment of the team. I read alot of statements about players on this site not performing but fortunately changes were made at the weekend and those players did well. We still have a couple that really need to lift so I hope our selectors give opportunities to those playing consistently in the Neafl.
Actually, my take on Fages is that he is very calm and balanced - supporting a player like Lyons to find form and being ruthless if required. Most of our team changes since Fages became coach have been very measured and predictable, unlike Leppa who had me absolutely lost at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

G'day gents and gals.

Thanks in advance
Go the swans.
Anywhere in the 70’s is the bomb!

We have 6 seats that straddle section 74-75 and love it, virtually straight above the Lions race, been sitting there for 15 years. I do prefer the end to end view that it provides though to the side on/wings view.
Sound like a good spot Jason, just a question is that prime or premium.
We sit on the lower section of 29 which is on the left of the benches looking out, we like them , but also like the end to end view as well.
Might just walk around one night .

I was on this boat as well, but now I'm at peace with the level of consistency in his approach. There is no constant rotation of players, it gives them hope to perform and redeem themselves in case of a bad game. Even Christensen and Robbo got two games back to back.

I'd rather we maintain this standard than get a player in and rotate them away after a round for a new one. We don't have a great maturity level across the group yet, we'll get there with playing group staying together for more than a single game.

If his form doesn't rapidly improve he will
I think the thing with McStay is that while he may not be at his best or the level we want is there someone else that can play that role in the reserves breaking down the door - no, not as yet. Skinner has been moved forward and certainly has no fear of crashing a pack but doesn't have his hand up yet. cooler is still a bit light yet to replace McStay doing the that. Adams is injured now for months probably and Ballanden isn't someone who hits a pack hard either and brings it down for Charlie or Lync. I think at this point in time to drop McStay will take a change in the forward strategy with no like for like replacement. Thats not to say someone in reserves doesn't hit their straps and kick a few bags then it will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back