Preview Changes vs GC Suns (Sat 16 April, 4:35pm @ Marvel)

Remove this Banner Ad

For my next trick, I will explain why the drafting of JUH, return to form of Bruce, and rise of Young/Gardner, has now made Naughton redundant in this team
So Naughton inside mid

Have been told from a reliable source that Making Their Mark season 2 will be following Scott and McNiel from our club. Amazon are paying us to keep them in the side . Desperate stuff from the club but with no major sponsor currently you can understand it.
“No back of jumper sponsor” and “Amazon” mentioned in the same post. Hey, I have an idea........,

Both teams at full strength I'd have us a 5-6 goal better side at Marvel. Without Witts and Rowell though they really don't match up on us well. They don't have a dominant ruckman (well a fit one) to neutralise our midfield and their defensive trio is undersized and in my view incapable of stopping our talls.

I expect us to win this game by 50-60 points. 10+ between Naughty, Bruce and English.

Last edited:
The boring thing about the Stef rested discussion is that it's really on his physical signifiers. He wears a GPS during the game. There'd be a tipping point in the S&C team to know what his loads are etc. None of us are any wiser to it, so we have no idea what's right/wrong here.

What isn't so preposterous is that our 4-0 start has been dependant on our 34-year-old recruit playing a huge role in it so we need to weigh risks and advantages here. An injury to Stef would hurt our premiership chances more than an unexpected loss to Gold Coast.

English proved that he could thrash bad rucks last year (people forgot just how good he was, including a BOG performance then).

Plus we need to look ahead at what's critical. We still have two games against Melbourne which are shaping up to be critical, jostling for top 4 position matches. Stef will play huge roles in both, and not just playing, but in top condition to go head-to-head with Gawn. If missing one game here adds 5 or 10% of fitness and competitiveness to those matchups, that could swing us an extra ladder position or two. Whereas we still might lose v Gold Coast, that may be the case with Stef, and we should back ourselves to win with or without him.
Plus we really start needing to see what Sweet can do, is he part of the solution( for the doggies next flag) or he part of the problem (taking a list position that should be for a back up ruckman)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have been told from a reliable source that Making Their Mark season 2 will be following Scott and McNiel from our club. Amazon are paying us to keep them in the side . Desperate stuff from the club but with no major sponsor currently you can understand it.
Whew, that will help us keep up our payments to the umpires, as some oppos are convinced is happening.

The boring thing about the Stef rested discussion is that it's really on his physical signifiers. He wears a GPS during the game. There'd be a tipping point in the S&C team to know what his loads are etc. None of us are any wiser to it, so we have no idea what's right/wrong here.

What isn't so preposterous is that our 4-0 start has been dependant on our 34-year-old recruit playing a huge role in it so we need to weigh risks and advantages here. An injury to Stef would hurt our premiership chances more than an unexpected loss to Gold Coast.
Totally agree much like our KPD stocks, the dogs need to be developing our ruck stocks.
Stef is 34 and plays one of the most physically demanding positions in AFL, he has most likely has 2 good years left if we manage him. Lets see if Sweet can be a serviceable backup ruckman, or delist him and let's go out and trade/draft for another ruckman.

If we can't beat the suns without Stef, then we really can't be thinking about finals.

There are more examples. I think a big one is Josh Dunkley's playing position. At the end of 2018, I think it was clear to all of us that he's an A grade inside midfielder. Yet Bevo wasted 6 rounds playing him forward in 2019, potentially costing us wins and a home final.

He gets it right a lot, but he's also gotten it wrong, and stunningly us numpties on bigfooty could see what he couldn't on that occasion.
Coaches must try things and be consistent in what players have to learn to do. remember we had a very young team between 2017 and 2019. The list is now growing in experience and hunger. We lost a lot of experience in 2017 as well as other players who were unhappy. Good coaches persist with their ideas until they are clearly understood by the players.

Can someone please explain why Stefan Martin needs to be rested after 4 rounds? He has averaged less than 80% time on ground average over the 4 games, so not like we have been overloading him. I would be very worried if he needed a rest this soon.

if we were trying to freshen him up for a finals tilt, maybe round 18 against the Suns would be more logical?
Because he is 34
Super rules players over 35 yos play fort nightly to ensure they can recover
My eyes tell me He was great against Grundy and Nat and has been fading - the last 2 rounds

Because he is 34
Super rules players over 35 yos play fort nightly to ensure they can recover
My eyes tell me He was great against Grundy and Nat and has been fading - the last 2 rounds
I think threenewpadlocks nailed it. A decision to rest Martin would be based on stats around loads that the club would hold quite tightly. This may or may not be visible to us on the sidelines. I personally haven't seen a drop off from Martin, I think he has been consistent.

As for being 34, Tom Brady won a Superbowl at 43. While it's a different sport I know, it highlights that age is just a number. There are other factors like preparation, cumulative effect of injuries, motivation etc that contribute as much as age.

“No back of jumper sponsor” and “Amazon” mentioned in the same post. Hey, I have an idea........,
I'd prefer Menulog or Deiiveroo or Doordash or even UberEats if members would get a discount :)

Buku a big chance this week
All for him being next in line if a medium goes down I’m a massive wrap on him but would be a strange call to debut him this week, with Croz possibly back too. Williams, Croz, Keath, Wood, Young, Buku, Doc, Dale? Helluva lot of intercepting power 😳

I’ve always felt like Bev would love 6 medium defenders who all intercept and provide a bit of run, is crazy Bevo going to start peaking out now he’s got a bit of a “license” with 4 wins on the board and Daniel out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back