Preview Changes vs GC Suns (Sat 16 April, 4:35pm @ Marvel)

Remove this Banner Ad

This week should be about tactical rather than forced changes - no injuries and while people are pushing for selection - the team is 4.0 and when we are challenged we respond as a unit.

Out: Martin
In: Sweet

Martin has been great but I really like how team like the Brisbane 3 peat managed their older players - they effectively got two years more and finals out of good management. This means reduced games and reduced travel. Also, great teams like the All-Blacks (my wife is a Kiwi through and through) always develop the next player in all key positions - if injury or form arrive they don’t drop of a cliff. You can only get that experience playing and seeing how hard you need to work. We should look at a minimum of 5 games for Sweet across the year. We could bring in Schache but and try a different structure and he too needs games in case English gets injured.

In: Cavarra or Wallis.
Out: Scott

By the way Bevo is talking - he is doing the job asked but we are still not converting forward fifty entries. We need more people kick goals. I understand dropping Wallis but would not have - he is a proven goal scorer, great tackler and applies forward pressure - he would have got a few today. That said Cavarra has done what we would all want for a person to get in - and in a place of need. Consistently kicked goals. I assume from MC it is a fitness/tank thing We saw today that as the game got to the end of third and half way through last quarter we were out on our feet and I believe Scott is super fit but Cavarra for me.

Crozier is one of my first picked but we don’t need to rush him - play half of VFL and bring him in next week.

BTW - if Young keeps playing like that he will be the missing link for us - tall intercept. But we have to accept he is just 22 with very few games. Morris only got drafted at this age - he will have a few ups and downs but if we ride them through we will have something.

For West and Lipinski this sucks - they are both AFL standard that just can’t fit. I would have West in for McNeil. McNeil is going to play a lot of games for us - is the type of player we lack - fast forward Robbie Gray type but now needs to go back and refine so he is kicking goals. But I don’t think Bevo will drop him.

Lipinski really needs someone to get injured or drop. Hunter was great and VDM will be given another go.

Out: Scott, McNeil, JJ, Martin (rest)
In: cavarra, jong, west, schache

JJ seems to be lost and is a shadow of himself.
Daniel went missing but can't see it happening 2 weeks in a row.
Thought Scott would like the conditions but didn't impress for the 4th week running.
McNeil I really like and went ok when he could play on the wing but to many ahead of him and he hasn't adjusted to the forward role yet.
Vdm has been pretty undisciplined the last few weeks so needs a bit of a talking to.

Think you are a bit hard on JJ I thought he played quite well

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Daniel might be in trouble for that tackle so probably at least one change.

With Scott, he’s shown enough to demonstrate that he’s decent depth. I’d have him ahead of Hayes and R.Smith. Good that he’s had a taste, but hopefully now drop him back.

He had a shocker yesterday but agree, he’s got enough credits in the bank too.
i wouldnt drop Vandermeer either but he's had 2 shockers in a row, and history says Bevo will drop him. Wallis was dropped for less. McNeil's second half may have saved him. 21 disposals, no goals between McNeil, Vandermeer and Scott, in a crummer's paradise, something has to give.

If Scott plays ill spew up. Doesnt do the fundamentals at AFL level adequately (body positioning, tackling, getting arms free when tackled etc), makes me nervous every time he's around it (ala Gardner). He's done no great defensive roles that i can see and ive watched him live twice. This is Hayes mark 2, we will have to suffer him for 2 years until Bevo finally stamps his papers. I do get the bigger picture with promoting and selecting these guys though. Rewarding improvement and dedication within the club has all sorts of medium and long term benefits in terms of culture and player development.

If Crozier comes back this week what do we do with Duryea?

He played forward for Hawthorn for a lot of his career.
To say Duryea played a lot forward for Hawthorn is a stretch. In over 100 games there, he kicked 20 goals. His biggest annual tally was 6.

Watching the replay i think Daniel might miss next week with that tackle

Is anyone else concerned about Mumford in round six? There's no single player in the AFL more capable of physically hurting you. I'm concerned about the physical damage he will probably cause our players. He tackles to hurt and has a history of succeeding. Playing against Mumford seven days prior to our biggest clash of the season is suboptimal.

i wouldnt drop Vandermeer either but he's had 2 shockers in a row, and history says Bevo will drop him. Wallis was dropped for less. McNeil's second half may have saved him. 21 disposals, no goals between McNeil, Vandermeer and Scott, in a crummer's paradise, something has to give.

If Scott plays ill spew up. Doesnt do the fundamentals at AFL level adequately (body positioning, tackling, getting arms free when tackled etc), makes me nervous every time he's around it (ala Gardner). He's done no great defensive roles that i can see and ive watched him live twice. This is Hayes mark 2, we will have to suffer him for 2 years until Bevo finally stamps his papers. I do get the bigger picture with promoting and selecting these guys though. Rewarding improvement and dedication within the club has all sorts of medium and long term benefits in terms of culture and player development.
How many goals did Brisbane’s smalls kick in this so called crummer’s paradise?

Is anyone else concerned about Mumford in round six? There's no single player in the AFL more capable of physically hurting you. I'm concerned about the physical damage he will probably cause our players. He tackles to hurt and has a history of succeeding. Playing against Mumford seven days prior to our biggest clash of the season is suboptimal.
Would love to bring in Sweet against him. Big Jordan has a desire to cause pain, too.

Edit: not actually expecting him to be brought in however if there’s one player in the AFL Sweet would learn heaps from style wise, it’s big Mummy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many goals did Brisbane’s smalls kick in this so called crummer’s paradise?
2 goals to our zero, alot more possessions, from 44-61 inside fiftys

regardless, no one could be happy with our small forward output recently

Bigfooty just can't get enough for dropping players after a win, can't they?

Bevo loves Scott as a utility. He forward tagged Birchall/Rich. He'll go to Bowes next week I reckon.

I'd give Stef a week off to keep him fresh for more important ruck matchups, and see if Jamarra or Schache are up to it up forward. Or just bring in Wallis again for Stef, in part because the reason Bevo dropped Wallis in the first place because he said we sort of had too many talls up forward, and Wallis plays as a psuedo-tall (aims to win marks, one-on-ones etc.)

He isn't great, but McNeil seems do what Bevo wants in getting out the front of contests and stoppages and bursting away from them, and looking for attacking handballs.

Vandermeer's the one that's probably in danger especially if Hunter is continuing to play a gut-running forward half role and found some form like he did today.
Mate they had 50 touches between them, Scott had 5...

I sure as * hope for Scott’s sake he’s not in the team solely as a defensive forward

Don't be surprised if Bev sticks with the same 22 next week. The VFL boys had a bye this week and Bev may want to see some form from some of the candidates in competitive matches before they are considered.
McNeill and Scott are certainly the recipients of a great deal of patience. Based on current form, I think we could substitute any player on our list for these two and get a result as good or better.
In respect to Lipinski, even with his perceived 'weaknesses', he's a better player than both.

Last edited:
By no means should he be dropped but maybe a change up is needed especially when he's tagged.
Think we moved him forward of the ball second half yesterday and he still didn’t get near it. I dunno pregame I thought it would be perfect for him but I just don’t think it suited him yesterday. Just long to a contest all day. Definitely needs to lift but I’ve got no doubt he’ll be back next week.

Think we moved him forward of the ball second half yesterday and he still didn’t get near it. I dunno pregame I thought it would be perfect for him but I just don’t think it suited him yesterday. Just long to a contest all day. Definitely needs to lift but I’ve got no doubt he’ll be back next week.

Yeah I expected him to shine in windy conditions. His short, low passes would be less vulnerable to the wind.

Daniel will be fine. However with the new man on the mark rule I think his disposal wont stand out as much because their is less need to "thread the needle"

Him and Bont have both been quiet and tagged but other blokes simply get off the chain as a result of it.

Bit like our tall forwards now. Instead of having 1 dangerous option we now and 3 teams won't know who to clamp down on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back