Changes vs Giant Whinging Snowflakes

Remove this Banner Ad

Bruce should have been moved forward again .Probably too late in the season now.He is too iffy to be a defender.Especially alongside Keith and Gardiner..He is actually marking strongly and would have been serviceable forward.Pity..
Buku isn't a second ruck full stop.Again pity
So Lobb must come in.
And is Duryea a better option for Greene or JJ ,Cleary, Vandermeer, Dale or Richards?.

In JJ Lobb ,Busslinger
Out Dureya Bruce Khanis

Williams into 22
Baker or West sub

Lobb is actually fairly good at it just drops a lot of marks which is the issue

So is Lobb good at bringing ball to ground because he drops marks ? Or because he can’t mark the end result is ball comes to ground .

He should be clunking more for the defenders he gets

Last edited:

Going to need Lobb to bring it to ground.

GC had more inside 50s today and couldn't score against them .. Taylor and Buckley killed them

Taylor and Buckley playing well we need forwards to be on and a plan in the way we go inside 50.

Last edited:
I hate these VFL byes. They are shocking momentum stoppers. Couldn't they at least organise a practice match or something? Richmond VFL side has a bye too. Why not play 4 x 20 minute quarters against them? Or what about ol' mates St Bedes? Surely we could rustle up a game against them.

You are suggesting a level of competency by the AFL (Inc VFL and AFLW) that is beyond a single person in that organisation or subsidiaries.

Club organising a scratch match against St Bede's more likely - but I bet there's any number of AFL 'hurdles' to save clubs from themselves!

Baz due to play his 100th.

There was talk of Baz's one handed tackle being potentially assessed by the MRO. I'm guessing he's been cleared seeing as though we haven't heard anything?
Hard to believe a grab of the jumper can be seen as a "dangerous tackle".

would ‘not risk JJ at Artic park Ballarat, give him half a game in the vfl to ease him back so he is right for Tigers.

his run off the half back is too important leading into the finals playing in the freezing conditions at Mars
Footscray have a bye next week. :mad:

The changes this week need to be right and no stupid risks taken. Even if JJ is considered fit, give him another week to guarantee it and don’t risk him in the cold.

Lobb for Khamis
JOD for Bruce, if Jones is not ready
Williams into the 22 & VDM sub

If JJ is fit he has to play. We can't go in safe and then lose the game

No point saving him for when it's too late
Ballarat worries me though tbh, I mean maybe it doesn’t matter I’m obviously no expert but honestly feels like more soft tissue injuries happen there than elsewhere. I wouldn’t risk JJ he’s too important to the rest of the year and don’t really think he’d be the difference in your typical MARS s**t slog match

(Log in to remove this ad.)

your typical MARS s**t slog match

While several have been cold, and a couple windy, how many have been slogs - which implies games in the wet?
We've played more wet games in Cairns and Tasmania than Ballarat in recent times.
Also in pouring rain v Port in Adelaide not that long ago.

Bruce and Buku out
Cleary and Lobb in

as we will make finals my preferred backline is;’

VDM Jones Dale
Ed. Keath JJ

Ed plays on the third tall if the team has one. He then runs off them.
Pace out of the backline is essential against the top 4.
Keath and Jones both have leg speed. Keath needs to stop overthinking when ball in hand. The more he thinks the more he turns it overs.
This back 6 provides similar leg speed than Pies and will break the lines.
Also gives Keath and extra runner to go past for the handball rather than Gardy being a nothing option 15-20m laterally. If we insist on 3 talls then I want JOD to be one of them.

I would also prefer Lobb (if playing) to take more ruck minutes and English to spend more time behind the ball helping the backline.

While several have been cold, and a couple windy, how many have been slogs - which implies games in the wet?
We've played more wet games in Cairns and Tasmania than Ballarat in recent times.
Also in pouring rain v Port in Adelaide not that long ago.
Fair slog probably wasn’t the right word, I meant more just the type of games they are - rolling scrum type games full of congestion, poor skills & zero space

I've arrived at the conclusion that Khamis won't make it with us. There just doesn't appear to be a position suited to him in our team. We have better forwards who are either taller or stronger and he lacks size and/or pace for the backline. It would be a great feel good story for him to become at least a semi-regular player in the firsts, but unfortunately, after 4+? years on our list he may be better off trying somewhere else.
I get that he has been thrown around like a pin ball which may have affected his development but when he does appear at senior level I can't see a meaningful role for him. Gladly take a bullet if I'm wrong.
I think his best position is still as an intercepting defender and his foot skills are actually pretty good. I don’t buy the view that his fitness/ToG means he can’t play there so can only assume the coaches have an issue with his defensive awareness.

I absolutely want to keep him on the list. Even though I think he’s better in the backline, if Jamarra or Naughton were injured he’s the obvious replacement (obviously not at their level).

I think he’s the best option we have for the sub even though he’s never given that roll. I value the versatility he brings being able to play medium/tall at either end much more than getting fresh legs from McNeil or Garcia for 30 minutes but completely losing our structure if a tall goes down.

Ballarat worries me though tbh, I mean maybe it doesn’t matter I’m obviously no expert but honestly feels like more soft tissue injuries happen there than elsewhere. I wouldn’t risk JJ he’s too important to the rest of the year and don’t really think he’d be the difference in your typical MARS s**t slog match
I’m leaning towards wanting to have JJ play VFL on modified game time as a first up hit out regardless but the timing of the VFL bye is terrible.

JJ is an explosive high speed athlete with an extensive soft tissue injury. Despite ticking all the rehab boxes, it just feels like something could go wrong for a 30+ year old in a high intensity full game scenario straight up.

....just another reason to hate GWS

View attachment 1751200

1 bloody point, I feel your pain.

I took a 9 game multi, 4 at the line the rest head to head. Collingwood were +2.5pts. Won by 2pts. That was going for $698.

Second time this year, the other was when Aliir saved that goal on the line against the Swans

Please gamble responsibly.

Another game where we will start favourites but fraught with danger. I would prefer to be playing them at Marvel than Mars. The conditions will be similar to Canberra top temperature of 11 degrees so the giants will be familiar the conditions. We did beat them by 15 points earlier in the season in Canberra but they did not have Toby and Taylor at fullback. They will be fired up they hate us as much we hate them and they have a sniff at finals anything less than our best and we get beaten.

Ins L Jones if fit, Willams
Outs Bruce, West sub

I'm in the give JJ another week off camp.

He did the hammy in our first Ballarat game this year. The conditions just don't really suit him at that ground either.

Giants current structure is Cadman and Riccardi as the talls. Brown is playing that 2nd ruck role but is under 190cm.

Greene is going to be the biggest concern. If Jones is fit is he an option for Greene? Keath and Gardy should be able to do the job against Cadman/Riccardi.

I get the feeling Bevo will give JOD the first crack at Greene. Which is a slight concern.

Tom Green not playing is huge. He absolutely monstered us earlier in the year, same with Hogan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back