Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

When you see about $35,000 hit your bank account every month, after tax, and if you are smart get another $30,000+ when you get your tax refund, I'm sure he can look at that to help offset the pain of a few bronx cheers.

Yeah well maybe Wines and Jonas can also consider that before slagging off the members and supporters and making themselves to be hard done by.

Charles is just trying to play footy and do his best for the club. That's more than I can say about some who wear the guernsey.

I wonder if you would say the same about Broady if he copped a cheer if he ever moved quicker than an iceberg?

Last edited:
I feel sorry for the guy.

I don't think it would be at all possible to look at Dixon, know what type of player he is, his strengths and weaknesses, and then design a gameplan that could nullify nearly every aspect of what he could bring to a team more than what we do.

Peak Jason Dunstall would struggle to find space and decent delivery in our team at present.

He's far from an elite, god like KPF, but he tries as hard as anyone out there to make the best of a situation that does not do him any favours at all.

RussellEbertHandball just putting it out there that my line about Broadbent wasn't rhetorical.
Do you want me to answer your rhetorical question?

Find it hard to feel sorry for Dixon when he can't complete a basic mark so often. Sure he is a trier. Bill Shorten was a trier. We need a winner at FF given the way we play and bomb the ball inside 50.

Do you want me to answer your rhetorical question?

Find it hard to feel sorry for Dixon when he can't complete a basic mark so often. Sure he is a trier. Bill Shorten was a trier. We need a winner at FF given the way we play and bomb the ball inside 50.

So it is ok to Bronx cheer people that are clearly feeling a lot of heat, as Dixon clearly was at the end of the game?

Again, he isn't one of the guys going round treating the club like their plaything, and he is still the best option at FF we have.

I can't wait to get stuck in to Marshall if he ever gets a game again! We don't need triers, we need a winner!

So it is ok to Bronx cheer people that are clearly feeling a lot of heat, as Dixon clearly was at the end of the game?

Again, he isn't one of the guys going round treating the club like their plaything, and he is still the best option at FF we have.

I can't wait to get stuck in to Marshall if he ever gets a game again! We don't need triers, we need a winner!
You can do what ever you like, just like the crowd did last night. Dosn't matter if its right, wrong or around the corner. That's how people feel at the time. Brisbane were able to catch a wet soggy ball and use it well, we weren't. Frustration poured out and a poor finisher copped it.

Big deal. Its happened before in sport. It will happen again.

It feels like the Dixon was coached out of him, the past couple,of seasons when he’s had to come stupidly downfield, now he looks as if he hasn’t been coached to his strengths at all.

So frustrating as he could be immense!

I absolutely loved the goal he kicked after dropping a mark.

On a very tough night it was a brilliant piece of play.

Bronx cheers tonight.

I won't judge people who do it, I certainly don't consider myself above bronx cheering a Port person, but I wouldn't ever do it to Dixon. Despite lack of forward craft, leading patterns, concrete hands, spraying shots, large periods of ineffectiveness, and not knocking anybody in to next season, his passion can't ever be questioned.

I hope it doesn't get to him.

I didn’t Bronx cheer for the record (and it’s a bit disappointing the crowd chose to single Dixon out amongst the whole team) but unfortunately trying hard isn’t good enough for a KPF paid $700k+ a year to kick goals.

I’m not sure if your list of Dixon’s legitimate flaws are sarcasm or serious (no offensive intended) but the dude has basically been a heavier version of John Butcher at his time with PAFC.

If we just go by passion and effort we might as well re-recruit Tom Logan or Jacob Surjan.

Dixon’s set shot is terrible and his attempts at marking is so clunky. I’ve said it before but I wish he’d wear a glove, it might actually stick those he seems to drop way too easily.

Side note, why don’t any key fowards wear gloves anymore? Is there any downside to a glove?

ide note, why don’t any key fowards wear gloves anymore? Is there any downside to a glove?
Because when the latest technology was used, ie an NFL dveloped glove, the AFL banned it. Travis Cloke's glove in 2012 was banned the next year, as well as a few others. From January 2013

THE AFL is set to ban six types of gloves after a report found they offered players an unfair advantage.

Collingwood centre half-forward Travis Cloke and his new teammate Quinten Lynch are among players to have used gloves that will be prohibited, Fairfax Media reports. An investigation commissioned by the AFL and carried out by Melbourne's RMIT University found that only four of 10 gloves tested did not provide players with an unfair advantage.

Three Nike gloves - Vaporjet 2.0 Football Receiver, the Magnigrip Elite Remix 2.0 and the Superbad – were rejected, along with the Under Armour Blur II, Ironclad Box Handler Safety and Gilbert Rugby gloves. Cloke uses Nike gloves and Lynch, while at West Coast, has worn an Ironclad glove.

''The AFL commissioned research in response to concerns about gloves providing wearers with an unfair advantage,'' AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said. "Some gloves have now been identified as falling into this category and under the AFL's discretionary powers will no longer be permitted to be worn.'' The introduction to the report said, ''In the 2012 premiership season approximately 10 AFL players regularly wore gloves by choice during league matches, and a further 10 players wore gloves for at least one game for injury reasons.

''The AFL is currently concerned with the potential competitive grip advantage gained by players who wear gloves against opponents who do not. The primary aim of this investigation was to recommend an appropriate maximum legal grip level for gloves utilised by players in the AFL competition, to avoid a significant competitive grip advantage.''

The report found that in dry conditions the high proportion of silicon on the palms of the six banned gloves provided significantly higher average grip than the bare human hand across four tests. ''The bare hand exhibited significantly lower grip levels in dry conditions than wet conditions across all test surfaces,'' the report said. In wet conditions, only the Ironclad and Under Armour provided slightly greater grip than the hand. ''By merging the benchmarking for dry and wet conditions, the overall classification is driven by the results in dry conditions. In other words, the results for wet conditions do not generate any further glove models that exceed human performance,'' the report said.

Travis Cloke in ANZAC game 2012

Because when the latest technology was used, ie an NFL dveloped glove, the AFL banned it. Travis Cloke's glove in 2012 was banned the next year, as well as a few others. From January 2013

THE AFL is set to ban six types of gloves after a report found they offered players an unfair advantage.

Collingwood centre half-forward Travis Cloke and his new teammate Quinten Lynch are among players to have used gloves that will be prohibited, Fairfax Media reports. An investigation commissioned by the AFL and carried out by Melbourne's RMIT University found that only four of 10 gloves tested did not provide players with an unfair advantage.

Three Nike gloves - Vaporjet 2.0 Football Receiver, the Magnigrip Elite Remix 2.0 and the Superbad – were rejected, along with the Under Armour Blur II, Ironclad Box Handler Safety and Gilbert Rugby gloves. Cloke uses Nike gloves and Lynch, while at West Coast, has worn an Ironclad glove.

''The AFL commissioned research in response to concerns about gloves providing wearers with an unfair advantage,'' AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said. "Some gloves have now been identified as falling into this category and under the AFL's discretionary powers will no longer be permitted to be worn.'' The introduction to the report said, ''In the 2012 premiership season approximately 10 AFL players regularly wore gloves by choice during league matches, and a further 10 players wore gloves for at least one game for injury reasons.

''The AFL is currently concerned with the potential competitive grip advantage gained by players who wear gloves against opponents who do not. The primary aim of this investigation was to recommend an appropriate maximum legal grip level for gloves utilised by players in the AFL competition, to avoid a significant competitive grip advantage.''

The report found that in dry conditions the high proportion of silicon on the palms of the six banned gloves provided significantly higher average grip than the bare human hand across four tests. ''The bare hand exhibited significantly lower grip levels in dry conditions than wet conditions across all test surfaces,'' the report said. In wet conditions, only the Ironclad and Under Armour provided slightly greater grip than the hand. ''By merging the benchmarking for dry and wet conditions, the overall classification is driven by the results in dry conditions. In other words, the results for wet conditions do not generate any further glove models that exceed human performance,'' the report said.

Travis Cloke in ANZAC game 2012

View attachment 709793

Yeah wow! So the AFL basically outlawed the glove full stop given that they’d only accept older technology and Nike clearly wasn’t prepared to manufacture previous models for a measly 10 AFL players.

So odd though, the AFL cream over how footy “used to be”, but for me as a kid - seeing a KPF like Tredrea clunk a big mark and then take off his glove in the line up is exactly what it used to be.

Thanks for the insight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just can't meaningfully criticise Dixon when our forward structures are so poor and such an afterthought.

We don't do anything that helps our forwards get into space or kick goals. It's always a bomb or a chaos ball unless we get the opposition wildly out of position on a turnover or line break.

Dixon arguably significantly harmed his career by coming to play for Port under Hinkley rather than going elsewhere.

I just can't meaningfully criticise Dixon when our forward structures are so poor and such an afterthought.

We don't do anything that helps our forwards get into space or kick goals. It's always a bomb or a chaos ball unless we get the opposition wildly out of position on a turnover or line break.

Dixon arguably significantly harmed his career by coming to play for Port under Hinkley rather than going elsewhere.

You don't lose that ability overnight. He's improved his conditioning and his injuries barring the major one recently and yet has gotten worse than he ever was at GC.

Our system is garbage.

i actually don't know what kind of forward he is. Doesn't present anywhere near enough for a lead up forward. Takes hardly any contested marks. Basically makes a contest with the odd goal. Can someone explain his role besides some vague 'structure' answer? I really hope we see something more before his career ends.

What glove did the great one wear in 2013?

584064_thumb.jpg

I didn’t Bronx cheer for the record (and it’s a bit disappointing the crowd chose to single Dixon out amongst the whole team) but unfortunately trying hard isn’t good enough for a KPF paid $700k+ a year to kick goals.

I've never disagreed and I've been one of his harshest critics here since 2016.

I’m not sure if your list of Dixon’s legitimate flaws are sarcasm or serious (no offensive intended) but the dude has basically been a heavier version of John Butcher at his time with PAFC.

That's not true. Butcher had strong contested grabbing and seemed to have leading patterns and getting separation on his opponent. What he lacked was kicking and staying involved in the game regularly.

If we just go by passion and effort we might as well re-recruit Tom Logan or Jacob Surjan.

This team could use a Tom Logan. Only one, but there is always room for one adequate heart player.

Dixon’s set shot is terrible and his attempts at marking is so clunky. I’ve said it before but I wish he’d wear a glove, it might actually stick those he seems to drop way too easily.

Terrible is harsh, but you know, we are a team that doesn't value goal kicking practise. Dixon has an all or nothing style of marking the footy where if it works he'll clunk a bullet pass in one clean grab, but any other time it just bounces off.

Last edited:
It's widely accepted as fact that Charlie attracts 2 and sometimes 3 defenders.
Logically then he is at a disadvantage.
Why would you then make the forward target one that is a disadvantage and keep doing it?
A forward target that struggles with marking and kicking straight.

I hope Marshall is given as much development time as Dixon has been handed.

He's that theory in tipping point or outliers or freakonomics (?) that teams that pay more for a player or give a higher draft pick to get him, give them more undeserving game time.

Truth is, butcher or Dixon....butcher was better. Heck, even Sam Gray has performed better.....as a key forward.

How many years has be been dropping marks, missing set shots and doing the crazy man routine now?

I think people have just worked out What was clear years ago, he's not a very good footballer, just a big guy

With apologies to how and where he is being played, notwithstanding

When Dixon was lining up for goal at the end of the game from 15m out on a slight angle, I saw him open his body up for a snap instead of a simple drop punt and immediately told my dad that he’ll miss this shot.

Side note, why don’t any key fowards wear gloves anymore? Is there any downside to a glove?
Yep, almost impossible to pick your nose...

Bring in Frampton to play next to him and watch him play better. He simply doesn't cope with all the extra attention that a sole big forward gets. And having part time rucks as forwards doesnt allow him to gel with them and form an understanding
Well thanks SANFL, that won’t be happening for awhile...hope we keep Frampton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back