Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part 5- its Like Rocky)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sttew

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 28, 2006
Who's asking?
AFL Club
Geelong
I hear there is some unrest & I hope that means positive change.
Would have to be absolute garbage, IMO. Geelong FC has a rich and almost unparalleled history of not sacking coaches during a season. What does it achieve? If we don't make finals - and let's face it there are still 19 rounds to be played and 8 home games to come - I'm sure things will happen at the end of the season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

allrighty

Premium Gold
Jun 5, 2007
Coo Coo Ca Choo
AFL Club
Geelong
Would have to be absolute garbage, IMO. Geelong FC has a rich and almost unparalleled history of not sacking coaches during a season. What does it achieve? If we don't make finals - and let's face it there are still 19 rounds to be played and 8 home games to come - I'm sure things will happen at the end of the season
I agree I doubt there are sacking motions afoot, CS's record is too good. I reckon there might be some tweaking going on, Wells going may be a catalyst. Don't know much more just what I heard. Like I said hope for positive change

allrighty

Premium Gold
Jun 5, 2007
Coo Coo Ca Choo
AFL Club
Geelong
Interesting.

Unrest within the playing group, or higher up the chain?
Not sure C. I think one of the great risks we have is hubris, but I hope there are some hard convos going on. We are off the pace at the moment as has been pointed out. Many outs not helping but my guess is that it seems too many are not putting in, game plan tired, changes needed. Maybe some tweaks, or even twerks

Cataholic

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 11, 2009
a happy wanderer
AFL Club
Geelong
I agree I doubt there are sacking motions afoot, CS's record is too good. I reckon there might be some tweaking going on, Wells going may be a catalyst. Don't know much more just what I heard. Like I said hope for positive change
All possible, but I would be unsure how or why Wells would be a first step.....if that's the case

Biggy_Boy

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
All possible, but I would be unsure how or why Wells would be a first step.....if that's the case
Perhaps there's some internal questioning of the strategy to move out so many picks/youth to bring in a number of older players to prop up a game plan/pursuit that, from the first month of footy, appears to be falling flat.

But I think more likely with Wells it's just time, and if there is any internal scrutiny of him, then that's just sort of the trigger or final straw for what's been coming for a while. He's been around an awfully long time, so it's not all too surprising to see him step down. Going to go out a rightfully highly lauded servant of the club.

Perhaps there is a feeling with Scott that it is time as well. He too has been at the job quite a while in coaching terms. But we aren't the type of club to sack coaches mid-season, and that would make no sense. A month in with a couple of losses after making a grand final the previous year is not going to lead to a sacking unless there is some kind of extreme behind-the-scenes turmoil afoot. There may, however, be some (overdue) questioning, criticism, pressure, etc. coming from internal stakeholders about the direction the club has pursued regarding its list management, game plan, etc. given what we've seen in the opening month.

Remove this Banner Ad