Collingwood contract situation

Remove this Banner Ad

GoldStandard

Senior List
Sep 10, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
I thought Collingwood were under salary cap pressure and were supposed to lose a few of their star players this offseason. Can a contract nerd explain what Collingwood's situation is and how they've managed to retain all their players?

Like most well run clubs they'd approach the playing group & look for players to sacrifice dollars to keep say Grundy OR bring in the likes of a Tim Kelly chasing a flag.
The Pies are in the window.
Yeah I realise that but I was looking for a more detailed explanation. Was Grundy out of contract at the end of this year? Has he signed a new contract? What's the deal with Darcy Moore, Jordan DeGoey etc.

As usual the media have overblown something related to Collingwood. We’ve got 3 important players out of contract at the end of 2020 (De Goey, Moore, Grundy) and need to carefully manage the cap so that we are able to re-sign them and accomodate their demands.

This has prevented us from chasing anyone this trade period and led Aish to accept a better offer from Freo after we were upfront with him that he was a long way down the pecking order of contract extensions. We probably also felt he was a player we could afford to lose that would also free a bit of room in the cap.

I thought Collingwood were under salary cap pressure and were supposed to lose a few of their star players this offseason. Can a contract nerd explain what Collingwood's situation is and how they've managed to retain all their players?

The salary cap squeeze was pre-emptive talk about the year ahead and the re-sigings they have to make.

They traded Aish who would have been on ok money. Not sure if North were paying Wells but he retired and would have been earning a bit, going from Goldsack to a draftee would save some. They've probably cleared $600k+ there.

But honestly how many people on Collingwood's list would be on huge money.

Top bracket

Grundy
Pendlebury
Treloar
Sidebottom
Beams

Mid bracket

De Goey
Moore
Adams
Reid

A lot of their players are "moneyball" picks from other clubs. It's not an overly expensive looking list to me.

The salary cap squeeze was pre-emptive talk about the year ahead and the re-sigings they have to make.

They traded Aish who would have been on ok money. Not sure if North were paying Wells but he retired and would have been earning a bit, going from Goldsack to a draftee would save some. They've probably cleared $600k+ there.

But honestly how many people on Collingwood's list would be on huge money.

Top bracket

Grundy
Pendlebury
Treloar
Sidebottom
Beams

Mid bracket

De Goey
Moore
Adams
Reid

A lot of their players are "moneyball" picks from other clubs. It's not an overly expensive looking list to me.
Well DeGoey, Moore and Adams will attract big money offers when they're out of contract, so it's gonna be tricky for Collingwood to re-sign them I assume.

Well DeGoey, Moore and Adams will attract big money offers when they're out of contract, so it's gonna be tricky for Collingwood to re-sign them I assume.

Beams' 4 year deal will hurt but it should be manageable. Re-sign Pendlebury and Sidebottom and split their contracts over an extra year. Get rid of people on decent money that are not critical - Reid, Varcoe, Mayne etc.

Beams' 4 year deal will hurt but it should be manageable. Re-sign Pendlebury and Sidebottom and split their contracts over an extra year. Get rid of people on decent money that are not critical - Reid, Varcoe, Mayne etc.

Reid and Varcoe will retire or be delisted end of 2020. Mayne's contract also up, if he stays it will be on much less money. Pendles will take a decent pay cut.

We'll have enough to offer the big 3 out of contract guys good offers. Doesn't preclude other clubs offering them overs though so you never know what will happen.

Worst case scenario Grundy can walk through Free Agency and we get an extra first round pick. If either De Goey or Moore want to leave we'll demand massive amounts in trade. Stars leaving can hurt you short term but set you up long term. We lost Beams at his peak but turned it into De Goey, Crisp and Greenwood among countless examples from other clubs.

Last edited:

It's the distraction that adds the unnecessary stress. Dr body is worth 5x1.4 at north, I'm at least 70% certain Collingwood can resign him if there is no downward spiral from the club. But is he performing to his price tag at a consistent enough level? Is the reliance on him as a match winner warranted at his current level. Can he take the club to the next level once more? Primierships are won by the team that has the best basics.

Reid and Varcoe will retire or be delisted end of 2020. Mayne's contract also up, if he stays it will be on much less money. Pendles will take a decent pay cut.

We'll have enough to offer the big 3 out of contract guys good offers. Doesn't preclude other clubs offering them overs though so you never know what will happen.

Worse case scenario Grundy can walk through Free Agency and we get an extra first round pick. If either De Goey or Moore want to leave we'll demand massive amounts in trade. Stars leaving can hurt you short term but set you up long term. We lost Beams at his peak but turned it into De Goey, Crisp and Greenwood among countless examples from other clubs.

Isn't Grundy like the lynchpin type player? There r far more de goeys than there are Grundys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't Grundy like the lynchpin type player? There r far more de goeys than there are Grundys.

I don’t think players like either of them come around too often.

However the counter argument flying around is that Richmond won flags with Nankervis/Soldo, WC without Natanui, WB with Boyd etc.

I absolutely want to keep them all, but if one goes it won’t be the end of the world if you use what you get for them wisely.

Out of pocket expenses. Long-term investments are overrated.

owing property is the king today. Top tier of social class today in the new structure are the ones who has properties and paid them off. Of course if you have say a dozen, then you have a portfolio and that's the elites.

As usual the media have overblown something related to Collingwood. We’ve got 3 important players out of contract at the end of 2020 (De Goey, Moore, Grundy) and need to carefully manage the cap so that we are able to re-sign them and accomodate their demands.

This has prevented us from chasing anyone this trade period and led Aish to accept a better offer from Freo after we were upfront with him that he was a long way down the pecking order of contract extensions. We probably also felt he was a player we could afford to lose that would also free a bit of room in the cap.
Does make you wonder what would have happened if Lynch had chosen the Pies, then the pressure would have been acute.

Does make you wonder what would have happened if Lynch had chosen the Pies, then the pressure would have been acute.

I imagine one or both of Moore and Langdon (who were out of contract at the time with offers from other clubs) would have had to have left at the end of 2018.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back