List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade Talk 2016 Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies for the intrusion - but what role do you see Mayne playing at your club?

As a forward for us over the last 3 years he's had limited opportunities in front of goal, and hasn't been a reliable kick for just about any of those. His defensive forward pressure (in fact any pressure) is first-class - but that didn't exactly equate to success for us.

Breaking the minds of the membership.

Apologies for the intrusion - but what role do you see Mayne playing at your club?

As a forward for us over the last 3 years he's had limited opportunities in front of goal, and hasn't been a reliable kick for just about any of those. His defensive forward pressure (in fact any pressure) is first-class - but that didn't exactly equate to success for us.
I think that at times our forward pressure this year was abysmal. I reckon he replaces Blair in best 22 and will be called upon to lay tht defensive forward role and help the team structure in the fwd half. I think he'll add to a forward line that will include Moore, Elliott Fasolo and probably HOskin Elliott. He adds teh grunt sadly been lacking. I'll take his kicking over Cloke's

http://www.afl.com.au/trade/trade-talk

PIES POTENTIALLY THE MOST EXCITING TEAM?

If Collingwood can nab Will Hoskin-Elliott, as has been mooted, the Magpies will be fun to watch in 2017. With Jeremy Howe in defence and WHE possibly joining Darcy Moore, Jamie Elliott and Alex Fasolo in the forward line, there won't be any shortage of speccies.

A trade would need to be done for the spring-heeled Giant, with the former No. 4 pick contracted until the end of next season. He struggled with soft tissue injuries this year and managed only two senior games.

http://www.afl.com.au/trade/trade-talk

Something to look forward to :D:D:D:D:D

I think that at times our forward pressure this year was abysmal. I reckon he replaces Blair in best 22 and will be called upon to lay tht defensive forward role and help the team structure in the fwd half. I think he'll add to a forward line that will include Moore, Elliott Fasolo and probably HOskin Elliott. He adds teh grunt sadly been lacking. I'll take his kicking over Cloke's
Is he capable of taking his defender away from the leading zones of Cloke and Fasolo ? If he can he is a major upgrade on Blairy so far as working in a cohesive forward line. Everything else is secondary but i reckon i'd take 500k to do that...

Cloke was a fau par from an old man - meant Moore

We would be extremely exciting next year. Imagine Wells, treloar, elliott, hoskin-elliott, fasolo, howe, varcoe, moore, even players like Maynard and sinclair, up and about, fully fit. Exciting times.

Broomhead announced on a new 2 year deal yesterday; what will today bring with the opening of the FA period.

Think they might announce Mayne today. A couple of re-signings over the weekend; Brown/Blair and then Wells Mon or Tues and then in to the trades. Collingwood media dept will have it all lined up ready to go!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hope they get the timing of videos right this time around!

Well after we hose all the Ross Lyon off him we thought we'd use him to win another flag, just like the one we won a few years back beating (coincidentally) Ross Lyon. Thank you for your interest in our club.

You should probably change your profile team.

Had a chat again to the source this morning... Most of this stuff I have shared with you guys over the last 3 months, If i get anything new I will let you know, as discussed my source is not in the recruiting or coaching department, this stuff is 2nd hand info.
Cheers, BEEG!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well after we hose all the Ross Lyon off him we thought we'd use him to win another flag, just like the one we won a few years back beating (coincidentally) Ross Lyon. Thank you for your interest in our club.
A bit unwarranted, he was just asking a question that many of us are also asking

Hopefully to convince his good mate Nat to come over with him!

Or the deal is heavily loaded with triggers, like top 5 Copeland finish, goals kicked etc.

If he gets, say, the also reported $1.4M over 4 years but can make up to an extra $150k per year if he hits those triggers is it that bad a deal?

If he finishes top 5 in the Copeland for 4 years straight he's earnt $500k p.a. Look at his competition for top 5. Pendles, AT and Sidey would be locks pending injury. Then Tay Adams, Reidy, a settled Howe? It'll mean he's had pretty good years. Or put another way, is $500k to expensive for our 5th best player in any given year?
Mayne wouldn't be able to finish top 10 in the Copeland

Mayne wouldn't be able to finish top 10 in the Copeland

I'm also curious as to where the $1.4 million figure came from? Someone posts a draft whisperer nobidy tweet and its gospel yet all these journos from the big rags and AFL media post $2 million and they don't know s**t?

The eyes see one thing and the brain believes another...

Last edited:
Because if you actually read the post you'll find it's passive aggressive tone only bags the player, with all the requisite politeness and apologies for intrusion of course, but it's pretty transparent.
Or you could just be reading way too much in to what was a perfectly legitimate question.

Well there is a good few thousand posts in the last trade thread asking this very question, I encourage you to read them all, however the short answer is we have very little idea.

No doubt he is a limited player, but can play a "role". I would imagine his use being more around a lead up forward that keeps the opposition honest. We have missed this type of player as it allows the defense to setup easily against our super predictable "kick it to Cloke" plan. Having a player that can separate defenses and is important. I like the role guys like Darling, Gunston, Lynch (adel) and recently Membrey play, they really get forward lines working and create space for either the big markers or the quick crumbers.

Our plan now is "kick it to Moore" but next year our forward line will be a lot more dynamic and exciting with Moore, Fasolo & Elliot (and maybe WHE) all taking hangers on each other. Mayne may be brought in to bring some boring balance and defensive pressure and a lot of hair.

I can definitely see the reasoning behind getting Mayne and why he would work better out of Freo. At Freo he is according to AFL ratings their second best forward behind Walters. Having Mayne as your primary marking forward tells a story. He is an average player getting the best defenders. Outside Freo he will be 3rd/4th best getting rubbish defenders and this can only be good for him and his destination club. In some ways very Moneyball.

The biggest query over Mayne is his $$. They seem to fluctuate each day with estimates of $300-$500k and all sorts of contract lengths. I think he will get a healthy perfomance based contract, not really sure what he is worth to be honest.

Let us hope he becomes the next in a positive list of Ex Freo players reigniting their careers at the Pies - Clement, Holland, Medhurst ..... Mayne
That's the idea I'm sure

Not at all, as I said go and bag a player on another board very politely and see how it goes.
Pffft....

His description of Mayne was bang on, I fail to see how he was bagging him. He even went as far as saying his pressure game is first class. If you think he's wrong then enlighten us all as to how Mayne is so amazing.

A few Hawk supporters had problems with my avatar, they thought they had the greatest side of all time, imagine their disappointment. :)

Give those arrogant arse mongers hell mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back