Past Tom Mitchell - AFL MVP, Dual AA Rover, B&F Winner, 2018 Brownlow Medallist - traded for pick 14 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we have to move on?

If he is a success dont we go back to the hawks board year after year saying ohh he only left because you threw cash at him,
He won't be a success though. He had a godly midfield around him here and it allowed him to roam freely. Won't be the case at the hawks at all.

He won't be a success though. He had a godly midfield around him here and it allowed him to roam freely. Won't be the case at the hawks at all.

60 odd games in he was one of the better players in the "godly" midfield imo

He will have an excellent career

Thats the wrong question to be asking though. $100k sounds like alot to me because i dont earn that much in a year, but its got to be relative to what he was earning/offered at sydney ~$400k. So what yo should have asked is would you change jobs for approximately an extra 1/4 pay rise on your current pay? Put into perspective im not sure i would. Yes its a great pay rise but im very happy and comfortable where i am. Not sure its enough to uproot my whole life and move interstate for.
I was being generous in only saying $100K. From what we read in the paper, Hawthorn have offered Mitchell around $550K. We were offering him $380K. So, if put in your text, he was offered around 45% more by Hawthorn than what we had on the table.

Like it or not, mitchell would have always been held back behind jpk, hanners, parker , heeney and mills.

He was playing 2's when he should have been in the seniors without so much of a whimper (from what we are told anyway). He served his contract and played fantastic football this year.

I am sad hes gone, but wish him the best of luck in the future

I don't take him leaving personally.

Won't watch him from afar wishing him well, nor wishing him ill either. Although since I always barrack against the Hawks that makes it moot.

He's gone.

Part of the interest in this thread was how did his leaving reflect on the state of our list. Are we capped out or did we simply not rate him. Not sure we'll ever know for sure.

We're either capped out or building a war chest. I strongly believed it was the latter but now I'm not so sure.

Buddy's contract was signed with cola in mind. Cola has been stripped and we're entering the peak years of buddy's contract. So we may need to shed players to account for the extra 300-500k we're paying buddy per year atm.

Still doesn't add up though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom isnt the player that can carry a midfield, he is good when he is a cog in a really well oiled machine. His deficiencies can be covered up by players who have the skill he doesn't.

Will be interesting how Clarkson creates a game plan around this fact. The hawks have been the most skilled side in the last decade in how they dispose of the ball and its a contrast to what Tom offers.

I cant imagine Clarkson being impressed with having his forwards contest a typical Mitchell high kick.

Mitchells kicking issues are overrated considering his age and upside, He could carry a midfield.

I am slightly surprised when we prioritised signings over the years that a guy like say Kieran Jack got paid ahead of Mitchell.

Yep right now letting Mitchell go to keep pay Heeney and Mills and resign Kennedy, keep parker and hanners but I wouldnt go of let it get to that

just my view, not whinging.

As I've posted before, I hope he stinks it up with the bloody Hawks. I understand why he left us but he's not in the Red and White anymore so he can piss off, he's dead to me.

However, those of us knocking him for his footballing abilities are dead set kidding themselves. I 'hope' he stinks it up but I don't think he will, I think he's set to become an absolute superstar. I think he'll become one of the best inside mids in the AFL for many years to come.

Get ready to see Tommy tag Kennedy when we play each other.
You can't tag Kennedy though. He'll tag Hanners, cut our outside
Mitchells kicking issues are overrated considering his age and upside, He could carry a midfield.

I am slightly surprised when we prioritised signings over the years that a guy like say Kieran Jack got paid ahead of Mitchell.

Yep right now letting Mitchell go to keep pay Heeney and Mills and resign Kennedy, keep parker and hanners but I wouldnt go of let it get to that

just my view, not whinging.
His kicking this year was better than previous years. In all honesty any field we told him he was poor on he improved. First he was bad at tackling, now is a great tackle. Then kicking, improved on that. He will be a star for the Hawks no doubt about it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back