Congratulations to Eleni Glouftsis , first woman to umpire an AFL senior match

Remove this Banner Ad

6ef56c4adb321790cb7258872ac899f8

XreQmk7ETCak0.gif

If she is better then razor ray then she will do a great job

GL.......... sadly............Thats not a high bar.

I wish her well and congrats on the historic achievement .

I can't even imagine the moronic comments coming from the crowd.
She has heard it all before.
The crowds at the SANFL get pretty vocal
I gave her a massive spray at Norwood Oval one day without realising it was her that made the decision, something along the lines of you f**king cheating campaigner and then realised. She just smiled and got on with it.
She has a pretty good sense of humour aswell, heard a story from one of the players that a opponent gave her a bit of of verbal one day and told her she should go back to netball because she cant umpire and then awhile later this bloke dropped a fairly simple mark and Eleni told him to take up umpiring because he can't play football :D

Let's just hope she's actually good and not just shoehorned in for diversity reasons, which I've definitely seen happen with female umps at junior/amateur/wafl levels.

Good luck to her and let's hope she does a great job in our game, can't be any worse than some of the rubbish that goes around with Nicholls, Panell, Fisher etc

Congratulations to Eleni Glouftsis will be umpiring the Essendon v West Coast match this weekend

I'd love to be excited about it.

I'd love to be the pro-feminist that I usually am and talk about the barrier that she's breaking down.

I'd love to flame anyone who doesn't think this is a big step forward for Australian football.

But she's umpiring the Eagles game. So unfortunately, she's just another white (fluro) maggot to me unless we win.

Let's just hope she's actually good and not just shoehorned in for diversity reasons, which I've definitely seen happen with female umps at junior/amateur/wafl levels.

Good luck to her and let's hope she does a great job in our game, can't be any worse than some of the rubbish that goes around with Nicholls, Panell, Fisher etc
As I have said before she was good in the SANFL and think she did one of our JLT games this year. Reckon she has earned her spot as she wasn't shoehorned in for round 1. She has done her time in the VFL and obviously has earned a call up

I'd love to be excited about it.

I'd love to be the pro-feminist that I usually am and talk about the barrier that she's breaking down.

I'd love to flame anyone who doesn't think this is a big step forward for Australian football.

But she's umpiring the Eagles game. So unfortunately, she's just another white (fluro) maggot to me unless we win.
Would of been a easier start with a trip to Subiaco, she would only have had to look after one side :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm weirdly excited to watch this?!? Keen to see how the players to react to her

I'm sure she's up to standard, as some posters on here have judged her to be.

But at the same time, being such a public position there does need to be a little 'shoehorning' of females in the AFL. As it breaks down some barriers and shows that a position like an AFL umpire is achievable for the other 50% of the population.

Her appointment will reap benefits in the future as hopefully more female and male applicants apply for the job, hopefully leading to a higher skill level of umpires.

At least, that's how I view it, for a public position such as this.

The moment sexism dies is when people stop making a fuss about what set of reproductive organs a person has between their legs and starts seing that person as another individual.

Unfortunately, this isn't something BF is very good at.

Good on her. Progress.
Lets hope she isnt doing the Carlton game though.
If a rumour starts in the back pocket about Murphy and the umpire, he'll likely get all punchy and go right off his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back