Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without getting into the specifics of Sportscentre's situation, its not as simple as businesses claiming the JobKeeper payment and retaining their employees as cashflow simply won't allow it. For example, if your business has 20 eligible staff, they need to be paid $3,000 each in March or $60,000 in total, however the JobKeeper reimbursement doesn't come back from the Government until some time in April. If Revenue has been severely affected (or stopped), then a number of businesses simply don't have the free cashflow to handle this.
payday lenders
or bikies

prob go with bikies, more credibility

It's hard enough to even get a business banker to return your call/email these days, let alone go through the process of extending a business loan.

It's all great in theory, but alot of business owners and employees are finding out there are a number of insurmountable hurdles with the process. I'm not criticizing the government or the stimulus, just pointing out that it's not simply a matter of the business putting their hand up for the JobKeeper and it's all good
Very small businesses I can understand, but there wouldn't be many without business loans / overdrafts anyway. The government is guaranteeing these loans up to 250K so there is no minimum requirements or cash flow to meet. The bank will just add it onto an existing facility. Not so sure on how hard it is to get a brand new loan though.

Cash flow will also be coming via PAYG payments and at worse, businesses can back pay anyway once the payments come through. This whole thing comes down to individual circumstances but unfortunately it's impossible to include 25% of the workforce in a program and not have some fall through the cracks.

It takes a whole other level of stupid (yes Andrew Bolt et.al.) to say that the restrictions in place are over the top and based on predictions of 'x' amount of deaths that are miles away from where we are now. In essence they're making the argument to the success of the restrictions without even realising it. Double dumb when all you need to do is scan the world to see what happened in places that had no restrictions.
Andrew Bolt is making himself look so stupid it’s unbearable to watch.

You can’t trust people to self-isolate so the 14 day lockdown for any immigrants and overseas visitors is a given for a very long time now.

Unless we know their home country is COVID free, then they could skip that. Have an arrangement like we will have with NZ later this year or sometime next year.
You make it a contractual agreement with fines and threats of never being allowed back, isolate them under surveillance in a secure location, if you want to not be permanently in recession we have to get education going.

The below National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases research results with the >12 hours airborne life of SARS-CoV-2 Virus, might explain why it is so infectious in closed environments.

Looks like the outdoor spaces social distancing can probably be eased up on in some places and as the article points out, more focus needs to be put on indoor ventilation

Also, it's the first I've heard that the 1.5m rule was from the 1930's.

The virus behind the world's COVID-19 pandemic can stay infectious in the air for more than 12 hours, early research out of four major US laboratories has found, as more scientists warn it may have been underestimated by authorities such as the World Health Organisation. It is still unclear how much of the SARS-CoV-2 virus you would need to inhale to get sick. But researchers from America's National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and elsewhere found it was "remarkably resilient" in the air when aerosolised into smaller particles compared with the two other deadly coronaviruses to emerge in humans, SARS and MERS. After 16 hours, particles of the new virus could still infect cells in a dish and looked intact under the microscope. "That's very unusual, we'd expect them to be ripped apart in the air by then," said infectious disease aerobiologist Professor Chad Roy, one of the co-authors of the research. "We scientists don't use this kind of bold language lightly so health authorities need to take note."

The work has not yet been put through rigorous peer review but was released this month ahead of publication as scientists around the world fast-track their usual, often protracted process in the face of a fast-moving and dangerous new virus. Professor Roy said the team was confident in the findings as they had been replicated across four different labs, including the US army's virology hub Fort Detrick.

the droplet theory, and the 1.5 metre distance rule adopted by most health authorities around the world, is based on old medical dogma from the 1930s, some aerosol experts say.

But that still doesn't mean you'll catch it just from passing someone on the street. Like cigarette smoke, the virus will disperse in open spaces. And, just like smoke, it can build up in enclosed areas without ventilation.

Comparative dynamic aerosol efficiencies of three emergent coronaviruses and the unusual persistence of SARS-CoV-2 in aerosol suspensions

Hello
I have a question in regards to the jobseeker Payment.. I’m hoping someone on the same or similar boat might be able to share some info, which I’m finding a bit vague and confusing from the ATO page and information sheets.
Sorry if this has been previously covered. Or if there is a more appropriate board or thread please point me in that direction.

I am a self employed sole trader. No other employees. My business has revenue has 100% dropped off since end of Feb. no income at all.
I believe I satisfy all the requirements for the jobseeker payment and have enrolled my business for one fortnightly payment - for me.

my question is - is there an approval process now that I’m enrolled? And do I have too “pay myself” $1500/ft with STP software so I can do the monthly report and be reimbursed?
Also my fortnightly income last financial year was around $1200 (not $1500), so wondering how this affects the payment.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has some expertise they are willing to share on this.

Denmark blocks firms registered in tax havens from state aid
Copenhagen | Denmark has become one of the first countries to ban companies that are registered in tax havens from accessing financial aid during the coronavirus pandemic.

Hope we do the same

I wonder how the Panamanian and Liberian economies are going to cope with bailing out all the shipping companies that fly their flags of convenience so they can employ crew members for a few dollars a day. World shipping will be up you know what creek by the time this is over.

I do enjoy not having to put up with as many people when shopping - im the sort of person who knows what i need, goes in, gets what i need and back out again. Others tend to dawdle, walk slow, take forever to get what they need and shits me to tears.

When they walk slow do you speed up and overtake them ? Cause I do!!!!

I only ever walk slow when having to line up

Hello
I have a question in regards to the jobseeker Payment.. I’m hoping someone on the same or similar boat might be able to share some info, which I’m finding a bit vague and confusing from the ATO page and information sheets.
Sorry if this has been previously covered. Or if there is a more appropriate board or thread please point me in that direction.

I am a self employed sole trader. No other employees. My business has revenue has 100% dropped off since end of Feb. no income at all.
I believe I satisfy all the requirements for the jobseeker payment and have enrolled my business for one fortnightly payment - for me.

my question is - is there an approval process now that I’m enrolled? And do I have too “pay myself” $1500/ft with STP software so I can do the monthly report and be reimbursed?
Also my fortnightly income last financial year was around $1200 (not $1500), so wondering how this affects the payment.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has some expertise they are willing to share on this.

You don’t have to have STP enabled software as there will be a lodgement process via the ATO Business Portal available from May 4th

April 30th for those with STP enabled software

You must physically pay the minimum $1500 per fortnight’s to be able to claim this back

Lodgement for FN1&2 is after April 26th (last day in first period) with funds deposited into your nominated business account in May

You don’t have to have STP enabled software as there will be a lodgement process via the ATO Business Portal available from May 4th

April 30th for those with STP enabled software

You must physically pay the minimum $1500 per fortnight’s to be able to claim this back

Lodgement for FN1&2 is after April 26th (last day in first period) with funds deposited into your nominated business account in May
So would he need to borrow the money to pay himself for the first few payments to get it back and then keep recycling it???

Hello

I’m assuming you employ an accountant as you’ll have an ABN and a sole trader. I’d speak to them as they will be able to guide you through the process (as they will be doing the same for a large portion of their client base), and they’ll be able to ensure any administrative issues are sorted and it runs as smoothly as possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely user pays. Currently if you want to go to the NT you pay for your own quarantine
I think if you're traveling now it's fair other than people trying to get home.
Like if you're from NT just getting out of 2 weeks in quarantine in Sydney from returning to the country.

If people are in the future coming for work or holidays so by choice then we shouldn't be footing the bill.

Hello

Talk to an accountant, sounds like you should be eligible for the JobKeeper package

Hello

We were talking to our accountant about all the programs etc and his guidance from the ATO is to apply for the various bits and pieces and then if there are errors the ATO won’t be punitive in getting overpayments back.

Apply for whatever you might be eligible for, be truthful on applications, and you should be right.

Be nice if the government can give us a rough date/month of when restrictions could lift rather than “we don’t know could be 6 months could be 18 months” saying this gets people frustrated which causes more people breaking rules with a date/month in place people will obey social distancing/restrictions rules better imo
Tell them we think two weeks and then you have to say no we think another two weeks isn't ideal either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back