Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could all kids stay home....except those with a parent or parents who work in health care?

It could be like a bigger, less crowded day care centre.

Yeah but the point is that they were refused testing because of the strict criteria needed to get tested, meaning that even if a person thought they've been infected it's too difficult to get tested to confirm that they have it and to get treatment.
Imagine if it was an older person and they gave up being tested after being knocked back, and ended up passing away without any treatment being offered.
With a shortage of test kits, the bloody idiots should have isolated for 14 days, as should anyone with flu-like symptoms. Can't believe they went to work. Most cases are mild. If you are one of these, isolate until you're no longer infectious. If it escalates, seek medical help.
If every tom, dick and harry goes to get tested the health system will collapse quickly.
The stupidity of people is unbelievable.

You might consider the health sector are chasing ED nurses after 10 o'clock at night, be proactive, you clearly can help yourself, the kids & the rest of us.

The staff will be home looking after the kids, thats now !
So what happens when there are mass breakouts from schools across the state because they have been left open?

There will be even more pressure on the medical department!

I'm told the kids will be fine & teachers would be treated like anyone else, not special.
So businesses close down, staff sent home due to the outbreak. But never mind the schools with 1000+ students. Do you think all schools can enforce social distancing measures and students follow proper hygiene? Schools are the perfect breeding grounds for the disease!

I'm told the kids will be fine & teachers would be treated like anyone else, not special.
Well, naturally the kids will be fine. It's their status as carriers that is a concern.

So businesses close down, staff sent home due to the outbreak. But never mind the schools with 1000+ students. Do you think all schools can enforce social distancing measures and students follow proper hygiene? Schools are the perfect breeding grounds for the disease!

No, its kids that is the difference with Uni's.
Kids are germ factorys but thats not the problem according to health experts.

I am a teacher too. I cannot believe we are still expected to have schools open. Don't get me wrong... closing schools doesn't mean I get a holiday. I would be conducting lessons from home, which actually requires more work preparation. But.... my work environment is uncontrollable as far as social distancing and hygiene. Compared to a school, the players in the AFL system are in PRISTINE conditions.

the coronavirus has an infection rate of over 2, which means that every infected person currently infects more than two other people. The fact that kids are largely asymptomatic creates a system where kids who don't even know they are sick come to school, infect others who take the germs home to their families. By the time an adult shows symptoms 5 or 6 days later, 20/30 families could be infected before they know it.

From a health point of view considering cancelling AFL games, yet still keeping schools open defies logic.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but the point is that they were refused testing because of the strict criteria needed to get tested, meaning that even if a person thought they've been infected it's too difficult to get tested to confirm that they have it and to get treatment.
Imagine if it was an older person and they gave up being tested after being knocked back, and ended up passing away without any treatment being offered.
Odd-on that they dont have it:)

closing schools doesn't mean I get a holiday.

Its not about you, not seen anyone running that.

I am a teacher too. I cannot believe we are still expected to have schools open. Don't get me wrong... closing schools doesn't mean I get a holiday. I would be conducting lessons from home, which actually requires more work preparation. But.... my work environment is uncontrollable as far as social distancing and hygiene. Compared to a school, the players in the AFL system are in PRISTINE conditions.

From a health point of view considering cancelling AFL games, yet still keeping schools open defies logic.

Linking the two, defies logic.

We are doing less than the US.

In fact Australia has had the least urgent response of any OECD nation yet to have a major outbreak.

And the people in the US are complaining that their government isn't doing enough.

Apparently no government in the world is doing enough, except China, great government they are. Wish I was there right now under their great management.

The fact is there is no stopping this since we didn't shutdown the airports at first chance. We are still getting new infection vectors coming in from overseas but its endemic now so its kinda irrelevant.

Now we just need to try to lower the infection curve and wait it out.

I don't know why I ever open this thread, it just brightens my day so much.

35 now, 70 by Saturday/Sunday I reckon.

Shops are a nightmare. My first trip to the shops since this s**t hit the fan. What a cluster *.

The guy whose house I'm looking to buy plans to take off in his caravan and drive around remote Australia until this starts to die down. For everyone's sake, I hope we avoid this disease until all that is finalised.

What a s**t show the next three months will be.

the coronavirus has an infection rate of over 2, which means that every infected person currently infects more than two other people. The fact that kids are largely asymptomatic creates a system where kids who don't even know they are sick come to school, infect others who take the germs home to their families. By the time an adult shows symptoms 5 or 6 days later, 20/30 families could be infected before they know it.

I think closing the schools and putting everyone isolation are linked, which might be part of the reason they are holding fire. If the schools are shut but people aren't confined to homes, then the kids will be everywhere (like school hols) and probably aid the spread.

I expect the teacher's union will weigh in pretty soon though.

I don't know why I ever open this thread, it just brightens my day so much.

35 now, 70 by Saturday/Sunday I reckon.

Shops are a nightmare. My first trip to the shops since this s**t hit the fan. What a cluster fu**.

The guy whose house I'm looking to buy plans to take off in his caravan and drive around remote Australia until this starts to die down. For everyone's sake, I hope we avoid this disease until all that is finalised.

What a s**t show the next three months will be.

God tell me about it.

Its just wall to wall: "why aren't you freaking out yet its the end of the world!"

It does not help that any semi-informative TV show is jumping on the ratings bandwagon and its just non stop doom.

China is ****ed.
Trump is ****ed.
Airports are ****ed.
Cruises are ****ed.
Quarantine is ****ed.
Food is ****ed.
Shops is ****ed.
Footy is ****ed.

If you want to get informed go read a nice dry, non emotional article online. Nothing but bad vibes on the TV and media.

I realise this did start in China and their wet markets are an ideal breeding ground for viruses like this but this ******* buffoon deliberately calling it the Chinese Virus is the act of a 15 year old troll

The 1:100 year catastrophic virus unleashed on the world is 100% China's fault. Trump is a rude bastard but he is literally the only man on earth allowed to state this indisputable fact, so I'm glad he is. * China.

And the people in the US are complaining that their government isn't doing enough.

Apparently no government in the world is doing enough, except China, great government they are. Wish I was there right now under their great management.

The fact is there is no stopping this since we didn't shutdown the airports at first chance. We are still getting new infection vectors coming in from overseas but its endemic now so its kinda irrelevant.

Now we just need to try to lower the infection curve and wait it out.
They aren't.

Firstly the bold is incorrect and secondly, whose fault was that?

Finally, there are plenty of worthwhile examples of early intervention or fast response. South Korea, Japan, Singapore and Taiwan.

Also:

God tell me about it.

Its just wall to wall: "why aren't you freaking out yet its the end of the world!"

It does not help that any semi-informative TV show is jumping on the ratings bandwagon and its just non stop doom.

China is f’ed.
Trump is f’ed.
Airports are f’ed.
Cruises are f’ed.
Quarantine is f’ed.
Food is f’ed.
Shops is f’ed.
Footy is f’ed.

If you want to get informed go read a nice dry, non emotional article online. Nothing but bad vibes on the TV and media.
Well, lets try something positive...instead of the rising panic on this thread, instead of being preoccupied with ourselves and our own dread, why not try to help your neighbour, the elderly and incapacitated...instead of taking, try giving...live a little and give a little...give a little whistle "aaand always look on the bright side of life, da dum da dah de dum.."

Ok, the warped attempt at humour aside...the AFL and the School situation IS stupidity waiting to blow up!
Moreso than the privileged and rarified realm of AFL players - teachers and school workers like doctors and nurses are on the frontline, along with the children/students and should be afforded duty of care...as if they didn't have enough to cope with during normal schooling, with hours and wages and responsibilities....?

89919699_10221679718883915_443242239854903296_o.jpg

Last edited:

If only we had a comprehensive fibre optic network that hadn't been sabotaged for mean political gain, maybe working and teaching from home would be an easier proposition.

But schools need to be shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back